The CZickness XLVI...What's next my friends.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My Army sister and BIL are getting ready to transfer out of Ft Hood. They are really hoping to go back to the State of Washington. One of their favorite places they've been stationed.
    It’s beautiful out there. Absolutely beautiful if you don’t mind tree huggers Karens and nut jobs

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    It’s beautiful out there. Absolutely beautiful if you don’t mind tree huggers Karens and nut jobs
    If they get stationed there, it will be at Ft Lewis and they will buy a house in a military officer heavy area which limits interactions with the transplanted Californians.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Today would be a great fishing day...unfortunately I'm working. May have to try and get out after work this afternoon if it's not raining heavily by then.
    I was thinking the same until I went down to the riverbank. Waters up, moving fast, and muddy. I just finished yard work so I'll just enjoy the view instead.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I haven't gotten out to the Badlands yet since it's on the other side of the state but it's supposed to be great country to explore.

One of the 'hottest' (literally and figuratively) ongoing digs are in the Badlands. World-renowned paleontologists are sifting through a layer of earth that recorded the great dinosaur extinction event, that occurred 66 million years ago. :thumbsup:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Hopefully, 0830 will find this post later today, as he was curious.
    This is the site of the lightning strike.

Using a a 50 mm (standard perspective) lens, the first photo was taken at almost the same spot where I stood when it hit. The tree is an 80'+ (estimated, as I can't see the top of it) ash, that would take two men to wrap their arms around.

(you can see the streak / split coming down the side)
    i-55TQd5W-X2.jpg

Looking up, I couldn't see the end of the split, but it went as far up as I could see .... probably clear to the top of the tree.
    Here is what the base of the trunk looked like. The split is about 3-4" wide and deep !
    I don't know whether the tree will survive. It depends on how many of the internal capillaries were cut .... the split spiraled as it came down the tree.

i-7VHcLJW-XL.jpg

At least in this case, it was odd to me .... as I'd always thought that the bolt struck, and then withdrew immediately. This was not the case. At about head-level, the bolt split into 3 separate spears (like a trident), and then danced around in a mad dance, before withdrawing. I was both fascinated, and terrified ... and frozen (not by choice), as it felt like I was totally under it's power.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    MM you have a good opinion on ivory, what am I looking at here? Is this 1800s elephant ivory or something that was added to this gun like the mastodon ivory more recently.View attachment 213983View attachment 213984

I'm far from an authority, LE, but here's my opinion. I feel that's probably real elephant ivory.
    It doesn't fit the pattern of any mammoth tusk that I've seen yet.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm far from an authority, LE, but here's my opinion. I feel that's probably real elephant ivory.
    It doesn't fit the pattern of any mammoth tusk that I've seen yet.

Thanks, the revolver is from the mid 1800s and the extra colors and lines reminded me of the pictures you have posted of mammoth ivory. Most of what I have on older guns of that era is pretty plain.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom