Not open for further replies.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Morning all!
    I'm sorry to hear this T-D. We never know what other people are dealing with in their personal life. It is also really sad that they choose this way out because the kids, spouse, family and friends are all dealing with it. It's very sad to hear.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Dealing with a recent tragedy here in the neighborhood. Neighbor that was part of our small circle of friends here in the community decided to take his own life a few nights ago. Left behind 4 kids and a wife. He was a pretty much normal average man, worked and spent time with his family. Very nice guy who we all liked. Had many a good conversation with him over the years and helped each other out on occasion with various projects or borrowing stuff. Not sure what his struggles were, but it's really shook everyone up around here.
    I'm sorry to hear that. That's so tragic.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I thought i'd take some time and do an update. I've been out here in SD for just over 2 months now. I took an academic position out here that had great pay and benefits far and above what IU would have ever done. It's a pretty interesting place, not as flat as I had expected but actually very rolling terrain. I work out of Brookings but spend one day in Sioux Falls teaching, they are about 50 miles apart but the speed limit is 80mph so you can make it in pretty short order and they offer motor pool vehicles as well! Sioux Falls is a decent sized city with anything you would need shopping/entertainment wise. I'm on the far eastern part of the state not far from the MN border but I need to check out west, the Badlands, Deadwood, Rushmore etc.

It took me about a day to scope out all the gun shops lol. In Brookings we have a nice LGS right on main street, i've already had two guns shipped there. On one side of town there's a trap range and on the north east side there's a nice rifle and pistol club I should be able to stretch out the Bergara finally. As far as Sioux Falls they have a some nice LGS's and a place called Scheels. Scheels is awesome the first floor is pretty much clothing and sports gear and the second floor is basically a Cabela's, they have a good selection of used guns too, prices are surprising for a box store. Gun laws are good out here as far as I can tell. Their 'permit' system is basically three tiers. They have constitutional carry if that's good enough for you, then you can get a 'Gold' card which is basically like our permit, no training required (NICS check exempt) and good in 32 states. Then you can get an 'enhanced' card which requires training and is good for 37 states. Each version is good for five years and about 100-150.00 respectively however there is a Senate bill right now to reduce that to 0.00.

There's also an interesting bill to redefine 'loaded' as just not a round in the chamber, and a bill to further clarify the burden of proof for stand your ground laws. The housing market here like everyplace else is crazy. Getting a house built out here is different than what is often the case in IN. Instead of one builder owning the neighborhood and giving you the choice of several home designs realtors seem to own the properties and you use your own custom builder.

Frequented SCHEEL's many many times when I was full time in Iowa. Decent place, think 4x the size of Dick's/Cabelas and a decent amount of guns and such.

I like that area of the country....

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Dealing with a recent tragedy here in the neighborhood. Neighbor that was part of our small circle of friends here in the community decided to take his own life a few nights ago. Left behind 4 kids and a wife. He was a pretty much normal average man, worked and spent time with his family. Very nice guy who we all liked. Had many a good conversation with him over the years and helped each other out on occasion with various projects or borrowing stuff. Not sure what his struggles were, but it's really shook everyone up around here.

dang it, this kind of thing never make sense.

I was in a small group of daily Mass attendees yesterday and that suicide subject came up and talked and shared for 30 minutes.

This world is spinning people out of control.

I am very sorry to hear this news Spicey - goodness, I will pray for the repose of his soul and for the family & friends.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Don't have to go that far.View attachment 187327;)
    That's a good sized buck. Big Middle Canada buck might not fit in the bucket.
    Do you know what that one weighed, LE?

Heaviest whitetail recorded, last I checked, came from Ontario with an estimated live weight of about 540#.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I am truly sorry for your loss, Travis..
    Permanent solution to a temporary problem. Shame we can't help people see a little farther ahead when things will get better. Always worst for those who have to stay behind.
    The neighborhood support will be immeasurably valuable.
    Thank you and to the others as well. I took an early lunch this morning and delivered a box of donuts to the family, had a heartfelt discussion with the widow. It was very unexpected for them. The neighborhood is going to do everything we can to support them during this time, while also trying to not crowd them too much as I believe people need to get back into a routine eventually in attempts to regain some normalcy in life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My brother this is some y that most do not understand. Things all look shiny and right on the surface but we all have demons of a sort. Some have serious demons.
    We have dealt with this a few times in this life and it never made any sense. Never will.
    Be strong for those who remain. This will scar them for life.
    Prayers and positive thoughts outbound.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gift certificates are a husbands best friend.
    What I have is a ready made shopping expert at the ready. My daughter goes shopping with CKW when ever either needs to go. So she knows what CKW likes. Christmas B days and gift holidays I give her money and she shops/wraps for me. We all know it but the gifts are spot on.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    So sorry to hear about this, Carlos. Thoughts and prayers for you, your family and your neighborhood group.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm really sorry to hear of this T-D. I believe 90% of the world's problems exist solely in our minds but when we encounter them, they can feel overwhelming and real.

It's easy to tell someone who's suffering depression because they feel trapped in a job, marriage or lifestyle to just change it but to them, the trap is real.

Suicide is a crap solution though. There are a billion better ways to solve a problem than that. But, to him, it was his time

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom