The CZickness XIII: Lucky 13, we could all use some.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nadscott posted an interesting article regarding bullet design and twist rate over in a different thread. It discusses bullet stabilization and how the length of the bullet impacts the need for higher rotational speeds as bullet length increases. It has me wondering what CZ optimizes their barrels for. Given the issues discussed above with the 147g ammo and the traditionally short chambers in CZs, I'm guessing that they are optimized for 124 to 115 grain bullets.

This might be another opportunity for CM and I to don the lab coats, put a bandaid on the bridge of our safety glasses and break out the slide rules. Or, maybe I could just play with various loads and see what seems inherently more accurate. This is the article Nadscott linked: http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/Documentation/Webfile_Barrel_Twist_Rate.pdf

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just ordered a bunch of CZ springs from Wolff Co. I'm going to take another shot at tuning the problem child 75B Compact in .40. This time I'm going to increase the hammer spring weight in an attempt to reduce the slide velocity. This, along with in increase in the recoil spring will not result in the beautiful trigger that we know and love, but it might just make it reliable. We'll see...

I also ordered a 10 pack of extra power extractor springs. I don't need any right now, but like having stuff like that on hand. If anyone needs one, let me know as I'll have plenty of spares to share. I ordered another 3 extra power mag springs for a compact which will let me do the last of the compact .40 mags. If that puppy does not run after that, I might just turn it into a hood ornament.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I have been reading up on CZ reloading and many stay away from 147g. From the CZ board the largest usually brecommended is 135g. If you check the OAL of the 147 round it may explain the problem. Some CZ chambers can accept longer OAL than others and the shape of the bullet plays a big part of the success. See post three in this thread. Reloading For CZ 75 B Omega

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    If CZ is gonna market a "suppressor ready" pistol, they should have sorted out the ammo issue. With 147gr being the standard for subsonic 9mm, the pistol should be designed to run it. Just my thoughts.

i have not had any issue with the bullet failing to go into battery, so I think CZ has solved the short chamber issue on this particular gun. The failure to feed I think, is more a combination of bullet shape, ramp design, and recoil spring weight.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    If CZ is gonna market a "suppressor ready" pistol, they should have sorted out the ammo issue. With 147gr being the standard for subsonic 9mm, the pistol should be designed to run it. Just my thoughts.

i have not had any issue with the bullet failing to go into battery, so I think CZ has solved the short chamber issue on this particular gun. The failure to feed I think, is more a combination of bullet shape, ramp design, and recoil spring weight.

I only have trouble with those flat nose 147gr rounds. Mine seems to run other 147gr rounds fine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nadscott posted an interesting article regarding bullet design and twist rate over in a different thread. It discusses bullet stabilization and how the length of the bullet impacts the need for higher rotational speeds as bullet length increases. It has me wondering what CZ optimizes their barrels for. Given the issues discussed above with the 147g ammo and the traditionally short chambers in CZs, I'm guessing that they are optimized for 124 to 115 grain bullets.

This might be another opportunity for CM and I to don the lab coats, put a bandaid on the bridge of our safety glasses and break out the slide rules. Or, maybe I could just play with various loads and see what seems inherently more accurate. This is the article Nadscott linked: http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/Documentation/Webfile_Barrel_Twist_Rate.pdf

Well heck yues.......Graph paper.We need graph paper and some really sharp #2 pencils.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I did a quick range trip this morning to run the 75B Compact, P10 and a G thingy in .40. That old 75B compact is sure a sweet shooter. The only thing to note on the range trip is that there is a homeless women that's taken to sleeping in her car along the access road now. Not a safe place for a single women to be sleeping at night and she's making a tight dirt road even tighter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did a quick range trip this morning to run the 75B Compact, P10 and a G thingy in .40. That old 75B compact is sure a sweet shooter. The only thing to note on the range trip is that there is a homeless women that's taken to sleeping in her car along the access road now. Not a safe place for a single women to be sleeping at night and she's making a tight dirt road even tighter.

She needs to be removed. Period.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

What range is this? I think I've heard you mention Point Blank in Greenwood, but checking, as it also sounds like MCF&G possibly?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    She is past the bridge, just short of the gate. I didn't see her, but could tell that she was still sleeping in the car at about 9am. I talked to another member that shoots every day and he says that she's been there two or three days now. He was going to call the club prez to let him know what's going on.

The last thing MCF&G needs is to have a homeless camp establish itself in the woods around there. That would be a major problem in too many ways to think about. I agree CM, she needs to move on and needs to do it immediately.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78
    Top Bottom