• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Window shopping at CGW. Trying to decide the diriection for the SP01c. I think I'll be going along the same lines as 88 when I get the funds. Not full pro package, but picking and choosing a defensive package. TFX Pro's and a nice set of grips. All of this is subject to change as the day goes on...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, I'm hating dealership mechanics. Doing a brake job on the wife's car and that dealer monkey that replaced the driver's side rear tire put the lug bolts on with an impact wrench. One will not budge no matter how long I hit it with my impact. In 30 years of working on cars, I've never run into a lug bolt this stubborn. It's killing the momentum of the job pretty quickly.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Right now, I'm hating dealership mechanics. Doing a brake job on the wife's car and that dealer monkey that replaced the driver's side rear tire put the lug bolts on with an impact wrench. One will not budge no matter how long I hit it with my impact. In 30 years of working on cars, I've never run into a lug bolt this stubborn. It's killing the momentum of the job pretty quickly.

German torque spec, goodentight. :)
    I always used a torque stick on my impact to get me close to spec and then tightened with a torque wrench the rest of the way. Some folks depend on impact guns too much and some trust torque sticks the same, I learned that lesson the hard way at an early age.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hate that for you, 88. I was taught long ago to always use torque wrench. I witnessed first hand what happens when you don't. Few years back we were doing a project for a good friend who was dying of cancer. His dream was to see his '75 Trans Am finished. We put a plan together and got the car painted in two weeks. The day that we revealed the car to him, he took it out around the lot and started coming back towards us, he hammered the gas and we all saw the left front wheel fall off and he drove over it causing the fender to be folded beyond repair. We got the car back in the shop, felt terrible thinking we had not torqued the wheels. Pressed on finding a fender and repairing the car a week later. It wasn't until we took the car down the road for an alignment that we discovered the studs had been stretched from years of someone using an impact to run the lugs on. They weren't holding torque..... All studs were replaced, he got to drive the car a few times before he became to weak..... People don't understand how unsafe it is to do that.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hate that for you, 88. I was taught long ago to always use torque wrench. I witnessed first hand what happens when you don't. Few years back we were doing a project for a good friend who was dying of cancer. His dream was to see his '75 Trans Am finished. We put a plan together and got the car painted in two weeks. The day that we revealed the car to him, he took it out around the lot and started coming back towards us, he hammered the gas and we all saw the left front wheel fall off and he drove over it causing the fender to be folded beyond repair. We got the car back in the shop, felt terrible thinking we had not torqued the wheels. Pressed on finding a fender and repairing the car a week later. It wasn't until we took the car down the road for an alignment that we discovered the studs had been stretched from years of someone using an impact to run the lugs on. They weren't holding torque..... All studs were replaced, he got to drive the car a few times before he became to weak..... People don't understand how unsafe it is to do that.....

Chasing the book being in a big a$$ hurry.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Different problem with my lug nuts. The way Ford does them, on F-150s anyway, is there a cap on top of the actual nut. Over time the nut swells up and can become much more difficult to get off. Already had to go up a size socket to get it off. I'll replace them soon. It's kinda expensive for 24 little ole nuts though!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Different problem with my lug nuts. The way Ford does them, on F-150s anyway, is there a cap on top of the actual nut. Over time the nut swells up and can become much more difficult to get off. Already had to go up a size socket to get it off. I'll replace them soon. It's kinda expensive for 24 little ole nuts though!

I really wanted to go somewhere with this but I can not.....:):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom