Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Morning folks! :coffee:

TopDog got the wheels spinning on the idea of adding another compact to the family. I've been wanting a P07, but like steel over poly. I figure that a used compact, CGW parts and fresh sights would come in under $600. Add Cerakote and grips and for around $750, I could have an amazing carry gun. The only problem is that the realist in my knows that $750 comes from rounding down on most costs and when complete, it would certainly be north of that. That's taking a serious bite out of the Fiat budget. On the other hand, if I sold the Ed Brown, I could fund the Fiat, a compact and a full size project with a bit left over to finish the CGW parts on the pre-B and stainless 75B. That might be wishful thinking though.

I'm not quite sure what to think of the ones from Bud's. Occasionally one of the milsurps show up that is completely shot out and would require a barrel replacement. Not sure how often this happens but I know it does.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not quite sure what to think of the ones from Bud's. Occasionally one of the milsurps show up that is completely shot out and would require a barrel replacement. Not sure how often this happens but I know it does.
    That's the biggest hold up for me right now. A project like that quickly turns upside down if a new barrel is needed. On the other hand, a new barrel might justify going with a threaded barrel, if one could be found for a compact.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    That's the biggest hold up for me right now. A project like that quickly turns upside down if a new barrel is needed. On the other hand, a new barrel might justify going with a threaded barrel, if one could be found for a compact.

I considered doing that once but couldn't find a barrel.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    This is exactly my temptation over the last few days, that itch to "tinker"... to find a great deal on a gently used 75 Compact, and see what $60 in CGW parts and a front FO sight would do to the gun. I would install the Ultra-Lite Self-Defense Firing Pin kit, the reduced power TRS spring, and the floating trigger pin.

The milsurps I've seen recently on GB looked pretty well used up. They're a little more ragged than what I have in mind to start with. Bud's prices are really good, but without seeing what I'd be getting... yeah, you could find yourself upside-down in a hurry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I considered doing that once but couldn't find a barrel.

OK guys....this is where my insanely warped mind kicks in. They do not make a Compensated barrel for a CMD framed 1911 either "But"......I have one.

Bought a full length comp. barrel. Sat down with Allen. Verier's were applied and notes taken..........Ta-Da.......

Get a full length barrel and have Allen cut it down and thread it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    OK guys....this is where my insanely warped mind kicks in. They do not make a Compensated barrel for a CMD framed 1911 either "But"......I have one.

Bought a full length comp. barrel. Sat down with Allen. Verier's were applied and notes taken..........Ta-Da.......

Get a full length barrel and have Allen cut it down and thread it.

Since I refuse to ask permission with $200 to get a stamp, there's really no reason for me.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    ...and now, for no particular reason....

wag_01_zps66a3a946.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom