T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Dry, just like my personality.

I was looking at the 75 surplus on Buds and the 75 and 85 nickel ones on GB. Then this nickel 40 shows up.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning all!! I agree with you as I reload for 9mm, 45acp & 10mm and do not want to ad another caliber in the mix. I do have dies, shell plates for 40 & 38/357 mag just no interest in reloading them!

After loading a bunch of 9mm and .45, I always appreciate how much easier it is to load .40. All .40 is small primer, so there's no frustration of occasionally finding a small primer .45 in the bin and the straight wall case of the .40 is much easier on the shoulder than the tapered case of the 9mm. To that, add the variety of powders that work in .40 and the wide range of loads that can be done and it has me wondering why I don't shoot .40 more. It's fun stuff in the right gun.

CZ Action Timing For Rusty, Chez, 88 This is very cool!! scroll to the top of the thread
    That really is a good animation. I need to study that more so I can have a better handle on what moves against what when polishing parts. If I had seen this a week ago, my 75 SA might still be a 75 DA/SA. It might be again if I get bored.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been thinking about this for the last day or so and am finally willing to put the question before the Czickness panel. Does the design of the decocker lend itself to a better potential trigger than the design of the safety equipped models? I'm thinking that it is, especially in older guns that may have some wear on them. What started me thinking about this was my experience with my '88 pre-B. After installing the CGW hammer and sear set, I was still seeing a bit of hammer camming back when I pulled the trigger. Not a lot, but you can definitely see the hammer move back. When I investigated the cause, I found that the engire sear cage is being pushed back a couple of thousandths of an inch when the trigger is pulled. The safety does not do an adequate job of locating the cage and there is a bit of slop when installed.

Now, on a decocker, the sear cage does not depend on only the safety to locate it to the frame, but also has the sear cage pin running through the frame as well as the sear cage. To me, this would seem to be a better, if not more difficult to work on, design. In the safety equipped models, the sear and hammer interface is partly controlled by a rotating part. If the boss for that rotating part wears over time, it can allow the sear cage to migrate off of the frame pads a bit and allow hammer/sear changes. There's nothing unsafe about that, but it could impact the trigger feel. The decocker seems to have a better method of securing the sear cage pin to the frame, which takes the hammer spring load off of the safety surface, reducing the chance that the safety will wear on the frame.

What do you folks think?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So if I go with the 75 .40 in nickel, then I have an additional caliber to buy ammo for, on top of roughly $550-$600 for the gun plus mags. If I go with the surplus 75, I already have ammo and some mags for it, and it's only $327 after ffl fee. However I already have a full size 9mm in the SP01. This is where I'm stuck at in my decision process.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So if I go with the 75 .40 in nickel, then I have an additional caliber to buy ammo for, on top of roughly $550-$600 for the gun plus mags. If I go with the surplus 75, I already have ammo and some mags for it, and it's only $327 after ffl fee. However I already have a full size 9mm in the SP01. This is where I'm stuck at in my decision process.
    Easy. Buy everything you're thinking about, sell me the 75/40 nickel for tree fiddy, throw the surplus 75 in the car, SP01 stays home.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

The up side of the .40 is, well, it's a .40 CZ 75. Plus, if you need to grab ammo for a range trip and we are in the midst of another ammo shortage, there will always be .40 on the shelf long after the 9mm has disappeared.

The downside of the .40 is that you are smart enough to stock up before the next ammo shortage hits, so that part of the upside may not apply. Plus, you have different mags to worry about.

The up side of the 9mm is that you have mags for it already. It's a blank slate and you can do anything (legally) you want to with it.

The down side of the surplus 9mm is that it really does not add anything to your shooting experience that you already don't have. Except a backup. It's good to have a backup.

In other words, you cannot go wrong with either of those. Both could make you happy, but just in different ways.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom