• Status
    Not open for further replies.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    CM, sorry to hear of the news. I sympathize and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I'm gonna tell a brief story, some have heard it before. I will apologize in advance, this is not easy to talk about, but I consider those in this group as friends.

Back in 2011, my Dad was in the final stage of colon cancer that had spread to his liver. There was a random few days of mid 50 degree temps and sunshine outside. I asked Dad on Wednesday February 16th if he was up for going to do some shooting the following day, he perked up and said "hell yeah". I asked my Boss for the day off and told him why such short notice, he graciously obliged. So the following morning Dad and I loaded up everything we had and headed to his buddy's place in the country. When we got there, Dad and his buddy split off away from me for a few minutes, I saw them in the distance hugging and crying like good old friends they had been for so long. So got on with our range day and had a good time, spent all day outside together, butted heads about a few things like we always did.

I saw Dad again the following Sunday, he was still very very tired from our trip. Later on in the week, around Thursday, Mom had called and told me Dad had been resting all week, barely out of bed, it wasn't looking good. She asked me to come see him on Friday. My whole immediate family was there. Most of us stayed the night comforting each other.

At 7:30am the following morning on Saturday, we all stood around Dad's bedside and held him while we watched him take his last breath. It was the single most hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. I lost a part of me that day, a bigger part than I knew, and haven't been the same since.

I am thankful that Dad got to see my daughter for 1.5 years and she even remembers him. I am thankful for my Mom still being here with us today and not giving up on herself. And I am thankful that I got to spend one last range day with Dad. This is why shooting is so important to me, it's not just about the guns, it's about the experience and the people you get to be with during that time. I ask that all of you take something from this story, enjoy what you have, while you still have it. And thank you for being you. :)

Wow, awesome share T-Dogg. I agree, it's not all about the guns but time you spend with friends and family. I think it was so wonderful that you all got to be with your father in his final moments, I have no doubt that he felt the love in the room and took it with him to the other side. This is a bridge I have not had to cross yet as both my parents are still with me but it is something that most all of us will have to do. I've seen my mother have to do it with her parents and I know it is no easy task. Thanks again for sharing your experience, life is definitely short so make the most of it.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Morning folks! :coffee:

That's beautiful Rusty. I really can't wait to see the final result.

Hey Chris, were you stationed at Travis or Dover? I used to work C5A/B and C141s in the Reserves at Travis back in the '80s. After that, I went on to 747s and DC10s with UAL out of SFO. I miss those days and try to keep my hands dirty working on old cars now days.

I wonder how hard it would be to fit that 440 in my '68 Fiat Spider? I'm guessing that I'd have to move the drivers seat to the trunk area and let the engine take everything else.

I was stationed in the Pneudraulic Shop at Dover from 1978 to 1991. Went to Osan and was with the 38th ARS. Left the Air Force after that. Joined the Reserves at Grissom after 9/11. Retired 4 years ago.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    CM, sorry to hear of the news. I sympathize and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I'm gonna tell a brief story, some have heard it before. I will apologize in advance, this is not easy to talk about, but I consider those in this group as friends.

Back in 2011, my Dad was in the final stage of colon cancer that had spread to his liver. There was a random few days of mid 50 degree temps and sunshine outside. I asked Dad on Wednesday February 16th if he was up for going to do some shooting the following day, he perked up and said "hell yeah". I asked my Boss for the day off and told him why such short notice, he graciously obliged. So the following morning Dad and I loaded up everything we had and headed to his buddy's place in the country. When we got there, Dad and his buddy split off away from me for a few minutes, I saw them in the distance hugging and crying like good old friends they had been for so long. So got on with our range day and had a good time, spent all day outside together, butted heads about a few things like we always did.

I saw Dad again the following Sunday, he was still very very tired from our trip. Later on in the week, around Thursday, Mom had called and told me Dad had been resting all week, barely out of bed, it wasn't looking good. She asked me to come see him on Friday. My whole immediate family was there. Most of us stayed the night comforting each other.

At 7:30am the following morning on Saturday, we all stood around Dad's bedside and held him while we watched him take his last breath. It was the single most hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. I lost a part of me that day, a bigger part than I knew, and haven't been the same since.

I am thankful that Dad got to see my daughter for 1.5 years and she even remembers him. I am thankful for my Mom still being here with us today and not giving up on herself. And I am thankful that I got to spend one last range day with Dad. This is why shooting is so important to me, it's not just about the guns, it's about the experience and the people you get to be with during that time. I ask that all of you take something from this story, enjoy what you have, while you still have it. And thank you for being you. :)
    Thanks T-DOGG sometimes we tend to forget all the blessings in are lives and take things for granted. Sounds like you are blessed with great memories!psyko

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    88, I'm certain we could stuff the 440 in your fiat. Might be best as a mid engine deal, unless you really want to work that wheel in the turns, she ain't light. ;)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Sorry to hear about your friend, CM. I hope you all find comfort in this time, and you all enjoy each other's company these last few times.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Said a prayer for your friend CM...T-Dogg, thanks for bringing things into perspective...Family and friends are very important..

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I need a new gun.

No, no, I just need a bunch of parts.

Yeah, that's it. About $800 worth of parts.

...and then a new gun.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I could go for a new gun.... But really should focus on ammo first and parts for the current guns... But in reality I'll purchase a new gun before I do any of that....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think I need to sell a gun to fund car parts. I can shorten the repair time on the Spider by buying parts instead of fabricating them from scratch.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom