Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It definitely can be. I've made the trip she is taking, not fun but glad she will be able to spend time with her friend at least one last time.

Thanks. I think we all have.
    We will see her again in June as we already had plans to be down there.
    She may have a little time but not as much as she would like.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yep, had a scare last night and thought I wouldn't be able to go but it worked out. ;)

Morning all! Been a rough start for me so far. Slept in a bit so I got into work a tad late but nothing horrible, plus I always beat the boss so it's not a huge deal. Unfortunately I woke up to someone sniping the Hi Power I was bidding on with the buy it now feature, oh well!

Did some work with my best friend last night on a plate rack we are fabricating. Got a good bit done but we are still about 2 weeks out from getting it out to our friend's range who lets us shoot there any time we want...for free! I also was drilling out a new mounting hole in a AR500 plate last night and dulled a bit out, not overly surprised but have to go get a new one today after work.

Glad to hear the range trip is still on, really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hope everyone has a good day!

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Good morning to all:coffee:Prayers for your family friend CM, hope your wife enjoys a safe trip. Going to enjoy a trip with my son to the indoor range this morning and hopefully later this week shooting my new to me M1Apsyko

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    AR-500 is tough stuff....use ample oil and slow the bit down if you can.

You are not kidding on that one CM! I was running the press at the lowest RPM it would go (300 RPM IIRC) and was definitely using plenty of WD-40. However, I think I got impatient and pushed a little too hard/fast. I got about half way through the plate before the bit gave out. My best friend works at a semi trailer repair shop and they have guys there who can re-sharpen bits so I'm going to give it to him and have them see if they can resurrect it for me!

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Morning all! Been a rough start for me so far. Slept in a bit so I got into work a tad late but nothing horrible, plus I always beat the boss so it's not a huge deal. Unfortunately I woke up to someone sniping the Hi Power I was bidding on with the buy it now feature, oh well!

Did some work with my best friend last night on a plate rack we are fabricating. Got a good bit done but we are still about 2 weeks out from getting it out to our friend's range who lets us shoot there any time we want...for free! I also was drilling out a new mounting hole in a AR500 plate last night and dulled a bit out, not overly surprised but have to go get a new one today after work.

Glad to hear the range trip is still on, really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hate those darn snipers! I've had good luck having bits sharpened, so hopefully it works out for you!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

That's beautiful Rusty. I really can't wait to see the final result.

I admire your work Rusty...You have a talent that I can appreciate as I also work with my hands. ( I am a Hydraulic Tech/ Machinst ) I also worked on Aircraft for 24 years. ( C-5A/B, C-141's, KC135R and MH-60 Rescue Helicopters)

Hey Chris, were you stationed at Travis or Dover? I used to work C5A/B and C141s in the Reserves at Travis back in the '80s. After that, I went on to 747s and DC10s with UAL out of SFO. I miss those days and try to keep my hands dirty working on old cars now days.

I wonder how hard it would be to fit that 440 in my '68 Fiat Spider? I'm guessing that I'd have to move the drivers seat to the trunk area and let the engine take everything else.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    CM, sorry to hear of the news. I sympathize and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I'm gonna tell a brief story, some have heard it before. I will apologize in advance, this is not easy to talk about, but I consider those in this group as friends.

Back in 2011, my Dad was in the final stage of colon cancer that had spread to his liver. There was a random few days of mid 50 degree temps and sunshine outside. I asked Dad on Wednesday February 16th if he was up for going to do some shooting the following day, he perked up and said "hell yeah". I asked my Boss for the day off and told him why such short notice, he graciously obliged. So the following morning Dad and I loaded up everything we had and headed to his buddy's place in the country. When we got there, Dad and his buddy split off away from me for a few minutes, I saw them in the distance hugging and crying like good old friends they had been for so long. So got on with our range day and had a good time, spent all day outside together, butted heads about a few things like we always did.

I saw Dad again the following Sunday, he was still very very tired from our trip. Later on in the week, around Thursday, Mom had called and told me Dad had been resting all week, barely out of bed, it wasn't looking good. She asked me to come see him on Friday. My whole immediate family was there. Most of us stayed the night comforting each other.

At 7:30am the following morning on Saturday, we all stood around Dad's bedside and held him while we watched him take his last breath. It was the single most hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. I lost a part of me that day, a bigger part than I knew, and haven't been the same since.

I am thankful that Dad got to see my daughter for 1.5 years and she even remembers him. I am thankful for my Mom still being here with us today and not giving up on herself. And I am thankful that I got to spend one last range day with Dad. This is why shooting is so important to me, it's not just about the guns, it's about the experience and the people you get to be with during that time. I ask that all of you take something from this story, enjoy what you have, while you still have it. And thank you for being you. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom