88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

Maybe the key to life is to learn how to have fun while staying in budget and out of jail. That second one has been easy for me but I really struggle with the first. I just need to keep reminding myself that it's shooting I love and the guns are just the tools that let me do that. To that end, I am set up for life and just need to work on making what I have better more than I need to get more guns to have.

Sounds good except that I know that a stainless 75B with a full set of Cajun goodness installed would make me happier shooting sometimes.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    :rockwoot: I'm very eager to get back in the saddle. If it wasn't for the wind right now, I'd have been out there tonight. Need to get a bike set up that I can ride for distance and speed. I live just out in the country enough and don't have really any large neighborhoods close that straight roads are all I have. Most everything I have is just single speed cruisers and they don't fare well on long straight roads. I did however pick up an old Schwinn 10 speed touring bike last year at a garage sale, should just need a couple new tubes, which I was thinking about tonight.

I still have the 10 speed that I saved for and bought 40 years ago when I was 13. It's a Schwinn Varsity and still works like a champ. It weighs about as much as the anchor off of the Wisconsin, but it works none the less. Last week, I bought my first new bike since buying that one. This one is a Specialized mountain bike and has been a lot of a hoot. The technology sure has changed though. The new bike has hydraulic disc brakes and 27 speeds. I swear, you could climb a wall in the lowest gear.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all...:coffee:

Morning folks! :coffee:

Maybe the key to life is to learn how to have fun while staying in budget and out of jail. That second one has been easy for me but I really struggle with the first. I just need to keep reminding myself that it's shooting I love and the guns are just the tools that let me do that. To that end, I am set up for life and just need to work on making what I have better more than I need to get more guns to have.

Sounds good except that I know that a stainless 75B with a full set of Cajun goodness installed would make me happier shooting sometimes.

That's my problem. I look at my guns and think, heck, I don't need anything else. Then I see a picture of a matte stainless 75B, or a DW Valor, or something else that makes me drool, my fingers start to itch and I want to flip out the credit card and buy it. Then you have days like today where out of my 11 firearms (counting the wife's Glock), 10 of them need cleaned :(

These are the days I don't want anything else... :):

I have the collector gene. No matter how I fight it, it always comes back.

I feel your pain!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the collector gene. No matter how I fight it, it always comes back.

Since surviving Cancer (at least for now) there is a time clock running in the back of my head. Not unlike Capt. Hook and the Crock I hear it ticking.....always.
    I am driven to experience everything I possibly can that is of interest to me before the stop button is clicked on that watch.

I want to have and handle every gun that catches my eye. To do this some that I acquire are short lived in my possession as they need to go in hopes of finding that next shiny.
    I was the same way with cars and bikes so it is a basic psychosis being amplified by the steady "Tic-Toc"

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Since surviving Cancer (at least for now) there is a time clock running in the back of my head. Not unlike Capt. Hook and the Crock I hear it ticking.....always.
    I am driven to experience everything I possibly can that is of interest to me before the stop button is clicked on that watch.

I want to have and handle every gun that catches my eye. To do this some that I acquire are short lived in my possession as they need to go in hopes of finding that next shiny.
    I was the same way with cars and bikes so it is a basic psychosis being amplified by the steady "Tic-Toc"

My psychosis is a bit different. Most everything I have ever cared about has managed to get away from me, one way or another. So I am driven to acquire and hold onto. :dunno:
    Of course, it doesn't always work out that way.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Forgot to mention my bad experience from yesterday. While I was at Walmart the other day, I picked up a can of Breakfree Powder Blast. Thought I would give it a try to see if it does a better job of cleaning than what I'd been using. Sprayed some in my disassembled CCO parts and started cleaning. Did not like the way it cleaned. Stuff gummed up and it also caused a white residue (even though the can says that it doesn't). Noticed some of the spray ran onto the outside of the slide, so I used a rag to wipe it off and failed. WTF? Decided to use a little bit of Ballistol on the rag to wipe it down and the overspray still didn't come off. Decided to check in over at the 1911 addicts forum where I found out that I had permanently damaged the Duty Coat on my gun :(

I am very thankful that this was on my carry gun. At least now I'm not worried about holster wear, scratches, etc. Down side is that if I want it to look good ever again, I'll have to have it refinished. Yay... :n00b:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Forgot to mention my bad experience from yesterday. While I was at Walmart the other day, I picked up a can of Breakfree Powder Blast. Thought I would give it a try to see if it does a better job of cleaning than what I'd been using. Sprayed some in my disassembled CCO parts and started cleaning. Did not like the way it cleaned. Stuff gummed up and it also caused a white residue (even though the can says that it doesn't). Noticed some of the spray ran onto the outside of the slide, so I used a rag to wipe it off and failed. WTF? Decided to use a little bit of Ballistol on the rag to wipe it down and the overspray still didn't come off. Decided to check in over at the 1911 addicts forum where I found out that I had permanently damaged the Duty Coat on my gun :(

I am very thankful that this was on my carry gun. At least now I'm not worried about holster wear, scratches, etc. Down side is that if I want it to look good ever again, I'll have to have it refinished. Yay... :n00b:

Oh, man. That is a heartbreaker. So sorry to hear this.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you have already damaged the finish it is just that....damaged.

I have a do use Hoppes #9 on all of my guns.

Ah I see what you're saying. Hoppes to use for my cleaning needs. Here I thought you had a miracle cure... :(

I actually cleaned the gun using Ballistol and it worked very well. Took crud off way better than anything I've used thus far. I'd stopped using it because of the smell, but with the window open it wasn't that big of a factor.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    :coffee: Morning all.
    I have my monies wrapped up in medical and car bills for the next month or so. There will be no extra left over for gun stuff. I'm satisfied with the guns I have and the amount of ammo I'm sitting on. The only thing I foresee in the future is a 22 Pistol to use as a training tool at the range, same with the AR 22 rifle I already have. This will allow frequent range visits while reducing cost and it won't deplete my centerfire ammo stash that I have worked so hard for. While it's not the most exciting plan, it allows me to focus money into other areas of my life I've been neglecting for years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom