• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I still have the 10 speed that I saved for and bought 40 years ago when I was 13. It's a Schwinn Varsity and still works like a champ. It weighs about as much as the anchor off of the Wisconsin, but it works none the less. Last week, I bought my first new bike since buying that one. This one is a Specialized mountain bike and has been a lot of a hoot. The technology sure has changed though. The new bike has hydraulic disc brakes and 27 speeds. I swear, you could climb a wall in the lowest gear.
    I love reading stories like this. Hard to beat an old Schwinn for quality and just plain working. Yes they are heavy, but there's a reason for that. The new ones are pretty incredible technology wise, I've got a mountain bike that's got mechanical disc brakes, wow is all I have to say in regards to stopping power. It's only a single speed though, I'm not a fan of gears. I just grunt and power through hills.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Someone already bid on the gun I am watching. It's very frustrating to watch the process as someone else buys the gun you want but can't afford.

This is a daily occurrence for me. You get used to it.

I love reading stories like this. Hard to beat an old Schwinn for quality and just plain working. Yes they are heavy, but there's a reason for that. The new ones are pretty incredible technology wise, I've got a mountain bike that's got mechanical disc brakes, wow is all I have to say in regards to stopping power. It's only a single speed though, I'm not a fan of gears. I just grunt and power through hills.

It must be nice to be young and have energy to do stuff like that. With a single speed, I'd be walking up anything that resembles a hill.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It must be nice to be young and have energy to do stuff like that. With a single speed, I'd be walking up anything that resembles a hill.
    I don't think it has anything to do with energy as I'm not in shape and after a good climb need a breather. Has more to do with stubbornness. I've only met one hill in the HNF that I had to walk it up and the 2 guys that I was riding with also walked their 21 speeds right along with me. It was pretty steep/long and right at the end of the trail so we were already tired. I didn't feel so bad about walking if they couldn't do it either.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I will remain strong.
    I do so want the wizards 700 but reality has kicked me in the Nads and that hurt a bit.
    I have considered posting up the long range AR but it is a proven tack driver. It is worth a bit more than I can get for it. I would hate myself if I let it go....."Again"
    Let me see if there is something laying around here I can sellllllllllll...................:scratch:
    :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:What kinda AR is that?:runaway:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks Scott, I hope so. Need to pass it before the end of next month to get my Bachelor's Degree this term and not have to pay an extra $3k for another term.

It doesn't sound like you are that far off Tom. With a little study time, you'll do fine the next time around. We have faith :rockwoot:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom