The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The old house was on in an addition around a lake so the geese were there in high numbers. The block captain would watch for new neighbors to have "unlawful" activities when trying to drive hundreds of geese out of their yards.
    Dozens of geese make a terrible mess....can't imagine 100's. Not to mention impact on pets and kids...

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The old house was on in an addition around a lake so the geese were there in high numbers. The block captain would watch for new neighbors to have "unlawful" activities when trying to drive hundreds of geese out of their yards.
    I used to get 30-40 in my yard at a time. I despise them. I used to use bottle rockets to scare them away and it worked great until I was given a visit by the CO that lives up the road.
    I found out from a acquaintance that he used a laser pointer on the golf course he worked at to scare them away. I honestly thought he was joking but I picked one up and it worked great. Had to use it periodically but after the first month I havn't had any issues with them. Around the first of spring after the first few lawn cuts I have to use it but not very often after that. You need a good one that will go 100-150yds that'll shine brightly on their bodies and you'll be in business. Talked to the CO about it and he said he'd didn't see anything wrong with the practice. I can scare them back to the water easily then walk down to the riverbank and send them 2-300yds up or downriver depending on their direction of travel off my property. I do try to keep it out of their eyes as much as possible just not to harm their eyesight.

stale_ranch

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    Dozens of geese make a terrible mess....can't imagine 100's. Not to mention impact on pets and kids...
    My dog can’t seem to help herself when it comes to their poop. It’s like crack to her, even though it makes her get sick almost every single time. Any time I see them I go outside with a broom and shoo them away but there’s not much you can do living in an apartment.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My dog can’t seem to help herself when it comes to their poop. It’s like crack to her, even though it makes her get sick almost every single time. Any time I see them I go outside with a broom and shoo them away but there’s not much you can do living in an apartment.
    I'm not suggesting it as the solution but a solution may have been suggested a couple posts ago.... :nailbite:

stale_ranch

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2024
    Carmel
    I'm not suggesting it as the solution but a solution may have been suggested a couple posts ago.... :nailbite:
    Depends on what you’re talking about. They haven’t been humane to me, my dogs stomach, and my carpet so it makes it difficult to want to be humane towards them..

If you’re suggesting something else, for legal reasons I won’t confirm or deny having thought about it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

The best homes in the addition were on 2-3 acre lots, flat ground on peninsulas, only a few feet above water level. Nice landscaping that was ideal for infestation by the geese. Watched one guy walking around his yard using a 38 snub as noise maker to scare off the geese. He was pissed off that the real estate agent had not disclosed that aspect of the neighborhood. The block captain of course reported him to the DNR which I'm sure he wasn't happy about either.

Dogs did the best job scaring them off except during nesting time when they would stand their ground and even chase neighbors kids. I lived across the road from the water, but next to the creek on higher ground so they were less of a problem except during nesting.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The best homes in the addition were on 2-3 acre lots, flat ground on peninsulas, only a few feet above water level. Nice landscaping that was ideal for infestation by the geese. Watched one guy walking around his yard using a 38 snub as noise maker to scare off the geese. He was pissed off that the real estate agent had not disclosed that aspect of the neighborhood. The block captain of course reported him to the DNR which I'm sure he wasn't happy about either.

Dogs did the best job scaring them off except during nesting time when they would stand their ground and even chase neighbors kids. I lived across the road from the water, but next to the creek on higher ground so they were less of a problem except during nesting.
    Yep, I definitely let the dog loose on them. I'm near'ish to water in the neighborhood so I do get some wanting to investigate but whenever I see a group of them I let the dog run a bit.

I've seen some private businesses use RC boats as well as Border Collies to run them off their private lakes. Seemed to work well.

I didn't even think of letting the neighbor kids in on the goose chase, I may have to train them with some candy, but it could work. Thanks for the idea.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    We had them at the back entrance of our shop near the unloading docks. They decided to nest in the bushes and mulch in the landscaping next to the door where the truck drivers entered our shipping/receiving office. They were aggressive. By the 3rd day they had a couple of eggs.

Our shop backs up to a busy road in Greenwood. I did not want to end up with a video on social media and protesters at my shop for let's say "inappropriate" remove of both geese and eggs so I opted to call the DNR. They let me know they do not handle situations like mine and directed me to a "Licensed Nuisance Waterfowl Control Operator" list. It ended up costing $500 to have the eggs relocated and the geese harassed to leave the back trucking entrance. The guy we hired had to document the geographical coordinates of the eggs he removed. Seems crazy, but true.

I asked why they would nest near our door with all the in and out traffic. He said it was common. They know that other predators will not come around where there is a lot of human activity. He recommended for us to change the rest of our landscaping around the building from mulch to stone and they would not try to nest there. We have river stone around our building with mulch around the entrances. Good to know, I guess.

Here's the list the DNR provided:
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/fish-and-wildlife/files/fw-NuisanceWaterfowControlOperators.pdf

Almost forgot the best part! The next day the male goose was hit by a car on the busy road and the female abandoned the nest. If I had waited just one more day I could have saved us $500 smackers! :):

Last edited:
    Top Bottom