The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Are lead sleds that bad?
    No not really but it's like everything else, use the right tool for the job. Yes the sled will work but it's better suited for regular shooting purposes and not so much for competitions. My buddy uses one for his home range use so I know they work for some things just not the best choice for competition shooting IMnsHO.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No not really but it's like everything else, use the right tool for the job. Yes the sled will work but it's better suited for regular shooting purposes and not so much for competitions. My buddy uses one for his home range use so I know they work for some things just not the best choice for competition shooting IMnsHO.
    To heavy with 15lb of weight holding it on the table lol. To awkward too.

I like what you posted. If I had known about it I'd gotten it instead. Oh well more to spend money on.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    To heavy with 15lb of weight holding it on the table lol. To awkward too.

I like what you posted. If I had known about it I'd gotten it instead. Oh well more to spend money on.
    Are you new here? Spending money on firearms and related gear is a prerequisite around here, especially on 2-3 of the same thing just different models. :stickpoke: :):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If I can use a Bandit analogy, bringing a lead sled to a open class competition would be like using a stock Ford Model A in a drag race against a C8. Yes it can be done but don't expect to be competitive.
    I'm not sure what specific brands, etc they were using but the open class guys I saw at MCF&G shooting that 22 competition were using big one piece sleds of some sort, and one lady remarked that she used the adjustments on the sled to move the gun where she wanted it to shoot each bull, etc. Now I have no idea of her skill, but that's what I got from her.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, question for the guys that use HBI parts (I'm looking at some stuff for the Scorpion). Did you order direct from HBI or were you finding better deals (shipping, price, etc) somewhere else for the HBI stuff?

@wtburnette @Haven @mcapo and others

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ok, question for the guys that use HBI parts (I'm looking at some stuff for the Scorpion). Did you order direct from HBI or were you finding better deals (shipping, price, etc) somewhere else for the HBI stuff?

Been too long ago to be applicable to current market conditions. My recollection is that they were direct from HBI.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Been too long ago to be applicable to current market conditions. My recollection is that they were direct from HBI.
    That's where I'm leaning as well unless someone comes up with something else compelling.

I'm looking at the spring kit https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1-reduced-weight-trigger-spring-kit/

and this trigger https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-evo-3-theta-forward-trigger/ (unless someone thinks the standard trigger is better than the forward)

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I'm not sure what specific brands, etc they were using but the open class guys I saw at MCF&G shooting that 22 competition were using big one piece sleds of some sort, and one lady remarked that she used the adjustments on the sled to move the gun where she wanted it to shoot each bull, etc. Now I have no idea of her skill, but that's what I got from her.
    There are some VERY nice and pricey 1 piece rests out there. Bandit has a pic of one that's incredible but worth more price wise than my Ford pickup. I'll stick with my Hybrid X and Protektor rear bag. My gson uses my Caldwell rockbr and Caldwell rear bag with good results too.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There are some VERY nice and pricey 1 piece rests out there. Bandit has a pic of one that's incredible but worth more price wise than my Ford pickup. I'll stick with my Hybrid X and Protektor rear bag.
    Definitely. I'm just observing. This level of precision shooting and chasing those crazy small groups would drive me even more crazy than I already am, but I admire the guys like you and others here who do it.

I've got a cheap rest and a bag and a Savage 17HMR for dabbling, but I haven't taken it seriously for quite some time (sold my 308 years ago).

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Definitely. I'm just observing. This level of precision shooting and chasing those crazy small groups would drive me even more crazy than I already am, but I admire the guys like you and others here who do it.
    Truth be known, everyone needs a little crazy in their lives. It's what keeps us sane.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I've always ordered from them direct, but after my experience with Armory Craft, I'll always check eBay first from now on... ;)

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Sub 1" at 100 with a 22lr is very challenging! Not saying it doesn't happen...but it takes solid gear, top notch ammo and perfect wind conditions.

Yep...it happens.

Five shot groups at 90 yards (longest range I had that day)...

IMG_20190626_163146 (Small).jpg

And 100 yards...

IMG_20190621_165947 (Small).jpg

These were shot with a Kidd semi-auto and SK Long Range Match ammo.

Can I do that all the time? NO!

In the 22 rimfire competition being discussed, there are 25 targets on one sheet and you must reposition for each shot. Although you have 20 minutes, you will want to fire as many as possible during a brief period of favorable wind so you must reposition as quickly as possible. This is where the quickly adjustable rests excel and a leadsled would make it difficult.

Here is a 50 yard target from some practice.

20220412_202549.jpg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Most of those rests are custom built and start at about $800-1000 for the basic sled. Then you need to add the front rest you want. And make sure you have a stock that matches up to your sled. Then buy cases of top tier ammo (cases, not bricks, look up Lapua X-Act) but only after going to one of the testing sites to see which lots work best in your custom 22 rifle

:spend: :spend: :spend:

There is a couple that competes regularly and between them they have 2 rests and at least 4 rifles. And dont forget the Nightforce 4-32 scope to put on all those rifles

:spend::spend::spend:

better have deep pockets if you want to compete with those guys. And a few of them at MCFG can really shoot and still don’t make it to the national meets.

That said, I have a lot of fun with my setup: 457 MTR, $300 Vortex Strike Eagle scope, Rock RB front rest, Protektor rear bag and SK rifle match or Eley Match ammo. I was mid pack locally in factory class last year but do not go to all the matches within a few hours of here like some do.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I bought my P10C trigger direct. Seemed to be the same price everywhere I looked.
    Cool, thanks for the info from you, mcapo, and WTB on this. I'm a few bucks short of the $100 and honestly don't need anything else so will see what I end up with from HBI.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom