THE CZickness LII....Autumn or Fall? No matter...season is right for a CZ!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    On my CZ 457, an easy press of the lever to the mag, drops the mag out. No problems.

I'm thinking Gary D has/had a 512. If so, you might ask him.
    He’s the lucky owner of this one thst doesn’t seem to work . Doesn’t drop at all. Have to hold the release and kinda pry it out

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    If something got behind the release lever or it's spring got damaged, it might be the problem. Looks like several companies make extended release levers.

This video gives you a good look at how it works.

I’ve almost sat down enough today to look at it. Thst is the goal before I go to bed

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Who has 512 semi auto 22lr and / or whatever number the bolt action 22lr rifles are. Is the mag release absolutely horrible on them or do they get dirty and need detail stripped or something else? Borrowed a friends to try and he complained about it. Told him I’d take a look if I could tske it to range. Seems like a super simple simple design but it is almost impossible to get mag out
    On my CZ 457, an easy press of the lever to the mag, drops the mag out. No problems.

I'm thinking Gary D has/had a 512. If so, you might ask him.

Is there any chance he has the wrong mag?
    yes @doddg has a 512. The mag release on the 457s is widely complained about on the Internet and in RFC as being a rather weak link. Many have replaced with a metal one:
    I have thought about it but it has given me no issues and ARA rules prohibit that sort of modification in factory class.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Who has 512 semi auto 22lr and / or whatever number the bolt action 22lr rifles are. Is the mag release absolutely horrible on them or do they get dirty and need detail stripped or something else? Borrowed a friends to try and he complained about it. Told him I’d take a look if I could tske it to range. Seems like a super simple simple design but it is almost impossible to get mag out
    Hmm. That's odd.

My 457 magazines all drop free with ease. I'm like B2V, thought about doing something different with it, but knock-on-wood, it's been fine.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    But you have mind powers… it even says so in your name!

Once, I opened a portal to Middle-Earth !

i-JkJTM9L-L.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    It’s almost done. Should have it painted and complete next weekend. I can’t wait!

Saved a crap load of money, but it has wore me out.
    The reward from doing a big project is priceless. The money savings is one thing, but that feeling of accomplishment is a different level.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It’s a new thing supposedly and his bolt action doesn’t to it.
    My CZ 457 has no issues ejecting the same mags (5 rd x2 & 10 rd x3) that are not working in the 512.
    I started out thinking just a bad magazine, but all 5 mags ended up not ejecting only in the 512.
    Started out with only the 5 rd mags on the previous range visit, but graduated to all the mags this last range visit. :ugh:

Last time at the range, when working feverishly trying to pry the magazine out while holding the release button, when I finally did get the mag out, I could slide the mag in & out a few times (but I didn't take the mag completely out before reinserting it back in).
    I did this 3-4 times, each time thinking that the problem was solved (whatever had impeded the proper working of the mag release had dislodged, hopefully.
    But, It would do it all over again. :wallbash:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If something got behind the release lever or it's spring got damaged, it might be the problem. Looks like several companies make extended release levers.

This video gives you a good look at how it works.

Thanks so much, gmcttr!!! :thumbsup:
    Glad it is an easy fix for a known problem! :coffee:
    I'm sure Zackcz has seen the vid & ordered the part! :rockwoot:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

$307 after shipping
    NST

DadSmith