THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    And since I'm semi-multi-talented, I took some recreational photos while I was mushroom hunting.
    The white dogwoods are in peak bloom, and as is the case with Spring, life is springing forth !

i-bbK3xtL-XL.jpg

The wildflower fairies were quite active ! :cool:

i-gqvJmw9-XL.jpg

And I have no idea what this 4" wide plant that was on the forest floor .... I have no idea what it is .... but I liked it.

i-zQq67vn-XL.jpg

The woods were not only dark and deep, but the dang thornbushes tore up my hands .... of course, it was worth it to acquire the morel mushrooms.

i-SN2pJgP-XL.jpg

But at the end of the hunt ... while sitting on the deck .... the vision of the hammock through the trees made it all worthwhile ! :alright:

i-ZdSX4h9-L.jpg

THE END !

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm not going to subject myself to the silliness of INGO outside of CZ'land, so I'll ask here.
    Is this a cat print .... as in bobcat ? I found this in a soft area of my meadow, and it's about 3" across the toes (?), and about 3" long. It's sure not a housecat !
    What'cha think, gangsters ?

i-Ckz3Kww-XL.jpg

It looks more like a critter turned over the moss looking for grubs/worms/whatever than an imprint. Just my .02.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I’m not good with prints, but it could be. They say they’re around. I don’t know who they is though.
    Are there other prints?

It crossed a short open section (actually, it's the path to my outhouse) .... from one section of woods to another ..... so that's the only print that I have.
    I swear that I've seen bobcat prints on wet trails that I've hiked (my place borders Owen-Putnam State Forest).

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    It looks more like a critter turned over the moss looking for grubs/worms/whatever than an imprint. Just my .02.

That's possible, Tarzan .... I've seen crows working the meadow, looking for grubs. But it sure looks like depressed toe-prints at the front. :dunno:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It crossed a short open section (actually, it's the path to my outhouse) .... from one section of woods to another ..... so that's the only print that I have.
    I swear that I've seen bobcat prints on wet trails that I've hiked (my place borders Owen-Putnam State Forest).
    I know I saw something a few years back while planting…older tractor and the lights weren’t great, probably 2 in the morning, but enough light to reflect two orangish eyes that bounded up a leaning tree like no other animal I could imagine, and just seemed like I saw a shadowy outline with a really long tail.
    All we ever see are coyotes and deer, and it was not that. Looked for prints the next morning but ground was firm.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I know I saw something a few years back while planting…older tractor and the lights weren’t great, probably 2 in the morning, but enough light to reflect two orangish eyes that bounded up a leaning tree like no other animal I could imagine, and just seemed like I saw a shadowy outline with a really long tail.
    All we ever see are coyotes and deer, and it was not that. Looked for prints the next morning but ground was firm.

Bobcats will have a short tail, but there have been reports of mountain lions in Indiana ... that the DNR won't confirm .... but I believe it's possible.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    That's possible, Tarzan .... I've seen crows working the meadow, looking for grubs. But it sure looks like depressed toe-prints at the front. :dunno:
    Speaking of crows, has anyone else seen a huge uptick in their numbers since last half of last summer and this spring?

Hear their racket almost every day, they did a real number on the sweet corn last year and we’ve never had a problem with them before.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Speaking of crows, has anyone else seen a huge uptick in their numbers since last half of last summer and this spring?

Hear their racket almost every day, they did a real number on the sweet corn last year and we’ve never had a problem with them before.

I haven't, but aren't around farm fields like you. At the cabin, I swear it's the same (3) crows that come every year. They all sit on the same branch, and I call them 'Larry, Curly, and Moe !

All right .... I've caused enough mischief for one night. The cat needs fed, and I need to get to bed.

Manana, gangsters !

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I'm not going to subject myself to the silliness of INGO outside of CZ'land, so I'll ask here.
    Is this a cat print .... as in bobcat ? I found this in a soft area of my meadow, and it's about 3" across the toes (?), and about 3" long. It's sure not a housecat !

i-Ckz3Kww-XL.jpg

I'm with sparky on this one, doubtful it's a cat. Too heavy and deep of a print. Cats are light on the touch.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon

i-Ckz3Kww-XL.jpg
    It’s the right size and shape for bobcat. But gmcttr has a good point. In the pic the dirt doesn’t look pressed like a print. But it could have peeled the moss instead of pressing a print. Are there more? If it left one like that I would expect to see a trail or pattern.

Last edited:

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Bobcats will have a short tail, but there have been reports of mountain lions in Indiana ... that the DNR won't confirm .... but I believe it's possible.
    I saw a mountain lion near the Ohio river maybe 8 years ago while camping with a friend. The first day down there we saw huge prints around while scouting the area. We also found a fallen tree on the bank that was shredded on one side. It was an 8 foot scratching post. late in the night a large animal walked right next to my side of the tent stepping very slowly across the ground tarp. the foot falls were single slow presses on the tarp about 18” apart. It was only 2 feet from me on the other side of the tent. Across from me the top 1/3 of the tent door was unzipped for ventilation. My friend was asleep and I held my breath wondering if it would circle the tent and find the door. I had a 1911 .45 with me that I silently readied and decided on a plan. If it sticks it’s head in the tent I’ll blast it’s face with some .45 and go from there. But it quietly moved on. We saw more prints around camp that next morning. That afternoon we loaded up and pulled away from the camp site. Driving through the field leaving, my friends diesel truck spooked it out of the nearby woods and it fled across the field in front of the truck. Unmistakably a mountain lion.

1682224576804.jpeg

Last edited:

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Good morning y’all :coffee:

I got very interested in big cat prints after encountering that mountain lion down south. I’ve seen very similar prints in other parts of the state but can’t verify they were in fact mountain lion and not from a very large dog with trimmed nails. One of our neighbors has a large dog (Great Dane I think) that leaves very similar prints.

Bobcat prints are wider than they are tall with the toe prints in a row above the base pad. Mountain lion prints look similar to a house cat prints but much much larger. Here’s what I’m sure are bobcat tracts I saw on a creek side trail in Zionsville.

1682248773104.png

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I saw a mountain lion near the Ohio river maybe 8 years ago while camping with a friend. The first day down there we saw huge prints around while scouting the area. We also found a fallen tree on the bank that was shredded on one side. It was an 8 foot scratching post. late in the night a large animal walked right next to my side of the tent stepping very slowly across the ground tarp. the foot falls were single slow presses on the tarp about 18” apart. It was only 2 feet from me on the other side of the tent. Across from me the top 1/3 of the tent door was unzipped for ventilation. My friend was asleep and I held my breath wondering if it would circle the tent and find the door. I had a 1911 .45 with me that I silently readied and decided on a plan. If it sticks it’s head in the tent I’ll blast it’s face with some .45 and go from there. But it quietly moved on. We saw more prints around camp that next morning. That afternoon we loaded up and pulled away from the camp site. Driving through the field leaving, my friends diesel truck spooked it out of the nearby woods and it fled across the field in front of the truck. Unmistakably a mountain lion.

View attachment 271272
    Where did all of this take place if you don't mind me asking. I have several bobcat pics on trail cameras and a picture of a bobcat size cat with a long tail that was taken in the dark and the picture is not very good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom