THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My understanding of Kimber was, they used to be well worth the money. Then for a long time they stagnated and had tons of quality issues, while still charging a premium. You could buy one and and have a great gun, or buy one and have a problem child. It was a real crap shoot. That was how it was when I was looking at 1911's around 2015/2016. How they are now I have no idea.

I had one about 2013???

It would either feed or extract. Never both.

It was well fit and good looking. I think with better mags and some tuning it would have been a good gun but I was soured by their reputation at the time and just traded it off or sold it. Don’t recall.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had one about 2013???

It was well fit and good looking. I think with better mags and some tuning it would have been a good gun but I was soured by their reputation at the time and just traded it off or sold it. Don’t recall.
    I was considering a Kimber 10mm until ChurchMouse advised not too. Then shorty after I ran into this video, and that was enough to change my mind completely.
    Go to 6 minute mark.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I was considering a Kimber 10mm until ChurchMouse advised not too. Then shorty after I ran into this video, and that was enough to change my mind completely.
    Go to 6 minute mark.

I saw that one back when. A later video he mentions he sent it back to Kimber, they fixed it and it’s worked fine since. But still, it shouldn’t have happened to start with.

Also, highlight of the kids weekend…

1681830813251.jpeg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    t1NaKRT.jpg

Down to my last CZ , the Dan Wesson went to fund other more shot guns. I have to humble brag for a second because I am in a bit of a shock, was not at all looking for a new job but I just interviewed for a position with an annual compensation package of literally double what I currently make (like borderline 200k). It's kinda a longshot but I was headhunted so I hope they really liked my interview. The things this would allow me any my family to do are incredible.

Hope everyone else has a fantastic day, America is still the land of opportunity and not all millennials are avacado eating babies :abused:

Thank you all for coming to my ted talk. :abused::ingo:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Kimber makes some very pretty firearms no doubt.
    ChurchMouse did not like Kimbers. For one thing the parts they used, and I believe there was a few other reasons that I can't remember at this time.
    What shocked me was he actually liked the modern Rock Island 1911's over Kimber.
    Interesting read regarding Kimbers that AllenM and CM were in:

I have no dog in this fight as I'm not a 1911 guy (though can recognize the beauty of some of them, and especially some of the better examples as well as the custom stuff that is produced), nor do I now or have ever owned anything Kimber. I just happened to be perusing Allen's subforum recently with some searches related to other stuff.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had one about 2013???

I've owned two Kimbers. I cannot complain about function, as both worked well for me. What I didn't like was the value. The first cost me just under $800 and the second just under $1000. For that money, it came with rubber grips, standard sights, no checkering on the f/s, a plastic MSH and mim parts. The finish was a cheap spray finish that chipped easily and did not hold up well on the aluminum frame.

I fixed those issues on both of those guns and sold the Ultra Compact off early. JetGirl talked me into selling it to her and it ended up with purple grips of some silliness. The second is one that I do regret selling. It was a Custom Stainless II. I replaced all of the crap with quality parts and installed a WC flatwire spring, recoil plug system. The crappy finish was bead blasted off and I carried it like that for years. It ran flawlessly and I do miss that gun.

Maybe I got lucky with the two I had. Neither was a bad gun, but both were about $200 more expensive than they should have been.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I've owned two Kimbers. I cannot complain about function, as both worked well for me. What I didn't like was the value. The first cost me just under $800 and the second just under $1000. For that money, it came with rubber grips, standard sights, no checkering on the f/s, a plastic MSH and mim parts. The finish was a cheap spray finish that chipped easily and did not hold up well on the aluminum frame.

I fixed those issues on both of those guns and sold the Ultra Compact off early. JetGirl talked me into selling it to her and it ended up with purple grips of some silliness. The second is one that I do regret selling. It was a Custom Stainless II. I replaced all of the crap with quality parts and installed a WC flatwire spring, recoil plug system. The crappy finish was bead blasted off and I carried it like that for years. It ran flawlessly and I do miss that gun.

Maybe I got lucky with the two I had. Neither was a bad gun, but both were about $200 more expensive than they should have been.
    I think the other market factor was those were also the years that Dan Wesson 1911s was really punching WELL above their price point. Can't really say that anymore as DW prices have adjusted upward.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    t1NaKRT.jpg

Down to my last CZ , the Dan Wesson went to fund other more shot guns. I have to humble brag for a second because I am in a bit of a shock, was not at all looking for a new job but I just interviewed for a position with an annual compensation package of literally double what I currently make (like borderline 200k). It's kinda a longshot but I was headhunted so I hope they really liked my interview. The things this would allow me any my family to do are incredible.

Hope everyone else has a fantastic day, America is still the land of opportunity and not all millennials are avacado eating babies :abused:

Thank you all for coming to my ted talk. :abused::ingo:
    That's a beauty. (I am biased towards Orange:))

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Interesting read regarding Kimbers that AllenM and CM were in:

I have no dog in this fight as I'm not a 1911 guy (though can recognize the beauty of some of them, and especially some of the better examples as well as the custom stuff that is produced), nor do I now or have ever owned anything Kimber. I just happened to be perusing Allen's subforum recently with some searches related to other stuff.
    Thanks for sharing that. Interesting insights and I highly respect AllenM and CMs opinions.

Sounds like Kimber went down hill and through a rough patch after they made the Eclipse Custom II a couple decades ago.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom