SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    POTUS is scaring the crap out of me.
    Billery will be far worse I fear.

I was watching Fox, last night, they were talking about their predictions, from last year.....

So they replayed them, and then made their predictions, for this year.....

One of their predictions, were that a SCJ, will Retire, B4, bho, is out .....

THAT scares the crap outta ME !!!!!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not sure. He looked at the box, looked at me, back at the box and tried to mutter happy new year. He barely got some mumbling out. His eyes were huge. I know I took a shower and I had just put deodorant on.

But those clay targets mean you own g-g-g-g-g-guns!:faint:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So how did the Ruger run or do I have to go back and read the thread.......You know how cranky us :fogey: can be.
    Had about 8 or so failure to feeds. The round didn't go all the way into the chamber. Happened with all different mags and never on the same round in the mag. Appeared as though there is some flashing around the firing pin hole on the breech face and the brass was hanging up on it. I'm going to detail strip it again and look closer for any burrs and remove them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had about 8 or so failure to feeds. The round didn't go all the way into the chamber. Happened with all different mags and never on the same round in the mag. Appeared as though there is some flashing around the firing pin hole on the breech face and the brass was hanging up on it. I'm going to detail strip it again and look closer for any burrs and remove them.

Is it the extractor that is hanging the stripped round.
    I try and let folks know that the Ruger is a crap shoot. You get a good one or not. I am sure this can be rectified.

Clean that area up. Remove the firing pin and hand cycle it through a few mags. If it hangs drop the mag and look up through the mag well at the relationship of the round in the extractor. If you can push it into battery and it makes an audible click it could be what I am referring to.I have seen this.
    My MilSpec did this to me.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Is it the extractor that is hanging the stripped round.
    I try and let folks know that the Ruger is a crap shoot. You get a good one or not. I am sure this can be rectified.

Clean that area up. Remove the firing pin and hand cycle it through a few mags. If it hangs drop the mag and look up through the mag well at the relationship of the round in the extractor. If you can push it into battery and it makes an audible click it could be what I am referring to.I have seen this.
    My MilSpec did this to me.
    It didn't look like the round was in contact with the extractor yet. I was fully aware of the issues these have. Did quite a bit of research beforehand. Read about this issue a lot. It's common with these I guess. Probably would be fine after a couple hundred more rounds. File this under 'no big deal' I'm confident this can be worked out. Unless something major happens I don't plan on sending back to Ruger, it's not going to remain stock so I'm not worried about it. I'll look at it more either later tonight or tomorrow. If I have trouble, I'll be in touch with you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It didn't look like the round was in contact with the extractor yet. I was fully aware of the issues these have. Did quite a bit of research beforehand. Read about this issue a lot. It's common with these I guess. Probably would be fine after a couple hundred more rounds. File this under 'no big deal' I'm confident this can be worked out. Unless something major happens I don't plan on sending back to Ruger, it's not going to remain stock so I'm not worried about it. I'll look at it more either later tonight or tomorrow. If I have trouble, I'll be in touch with you.

Cool.....just sharing what I have seen.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Cool.....just sharing what I have seen.
    Your :oldwise: is much appreciated. I'm still learning this platform. We will get confident with each other and she will serve me perfectly. Wish there was a better option out there right now for a stainless commander in the "affordable for me" category, but this should work just fine. On the bright side, I don't care one bit if this gets scratched or dropped, even though I may :faint: at first.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your :oldwise: is much appreciated. I'm still learning this platform. We will get confident with each other and she will serve me perfectly. Wish there was a better option out there right now for a stainless commander in the "affordable for me" category, but this should work just fine. On the bright side, I don't care one bit if this gets scratched or dropped, even though I may :faint: at first.

That is all that matters in the end.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Glad to hear the range trip went well. It's been a long time since I've had a whole day to spend at the range. One thing you might consider on the Ruger is to use a drill be to put a very very small chamfer on the firing pin hole. It needs to be done by hand using finger pressure only and only enough to break the edge a bit. I did this on my Remington and then polished the breech face. With a properly shaped extractor, polished breech face and chamfered firing pin hole, you should have no issues coming from that end of the cartridge.

I really do need to trade one of my 1911s for an all stainless commander one of these days. I bought my Remington with the thought of having a true beater 1911 that I could carry anywhere without concern about scratches. It's served that purpose well, but being a full size R1S, it's not always the easiest thing for carry. A Ruger would fit that niche nicely.

I did get down to Atterbury yesterday and ran a bit more ammo through the AR pistol. Wow, that thing is fun. I REALLY need to get the trust set up, get it SBR'd and get a can for it. That will eat the bulk of my 2016 budget unless I sell some stuff off, but it will be worth every penny when done.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You probably have a bunch of guns that work like they are meant to and very few open wounds on your fingers.

I couldn't live like that.

Ha ha, well there are two groups of gun owners. The first group, a lot of us can take guns apart, some can put them back together after much cussing, looking for lost parts etc. But few fall in the second group. Those that can take them apart, "FIT" new parts in them, reassemble and have them work so much better than before. I am in the first group and CM & The CZ Wizard are in the second group.

It's that talent for fitting the parts, the magic touch that sets so few apart like the two guys I mentioned.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Glad to hear the range trip went well. It's been a long time since I've had a whole day to spend at the range. One thing you might consider on the Ruger is to use a drill be to put a very very small chamfer on the firing pin hole. It needs to be done by hand using finger pressure only and only enough to break the edge a bit. I did this on my Remington and then polished the breech face. With a properly shaped extractor, polished breech face and chamfered firing pin hole, you should have no issues coming from that end of the cartridge.

I really do need to trade one of my 1911s for an all stainless commander one of these days. I bought my Remington with the thought of having a true beater 1911 that I could carry anywhere without concern about scratches. It's served that purpose well, but being a full size R1S, it's not always the easiest thing for carry. A Ruger would fit that niche nicely.

I did get down to Atterbury yesterday and ran a bit more ammo through the AR pistol. Wow, that thing is fun. I REALLY need to get the trust set up, get it SBR'd and get a can for it. That will eat the bulk of my 2016 budget unless I sell some stuff off, but it will be worth every penny when done.
    Yeah we weren't really planning to spend all day there and I fractured my major rule of bringing too many guns, but we were both excited to try out our new memberships and ring in the new year. I will try that drill bit idea. I really dig the cmd size, it was really enjoyable to shoot. Also really enjoyed shooting T-DOGGs AR pistol, will be adding one this year before the election.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Highlights from today's range trip with Rusty:

- It was cold and windy, we didn't do our best, but we both tried to make the most of it and both learned from the numerous experiences.
    - Hillside is a very nice range that will allow us to take the next steps in training. This just opened a new chapter for us.
    - M1A Socom puts a big smile on faces.
    - I am good with iron sights up to 50yds, but suck at 100yds.
    - I was very pleased with the AR pistol and AR rifle accuracy at 100 yds using 2moa red dots.
    - 9mm bored the snot out of me today.
    - I began to solve my shooting high left issue with the Glock 26. I shifted my grip slightly to get better finger position on the face of the trigger and utilized the push pull technique of gripping that I overheard CM talking about during one of our shoots. It works. And I carried it over to the other guns, control of the gun felt much better. I will practice this method from now on.
    - Lever action Henry 22s are way cool to shoot, especially with cci 22 quiets.
    - Slam firing an Ithaca shotgun could be addictive. One cool a$$ shotgun.
    - I loved loved loved Rusty's Ruger Commander 1911. I couldn't stop shooting it.
    - Mag dumps are way too much fun, even in 22lr.
    - Don't stay longer at the range than what your wife thought you were going to, no matter what you told her in the morning before you left. Cranky wife is no bueno for anyone around.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom