Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

When the house was remodeled in the mid 90's the door never was really right. We hardly ever use it. The steel security door (screen door) is loosing its paint and needs to be stripped and re-finished anyway so will take the opportunity to do it all at once and be done.

I see a lot of gun/ammo money here.....:):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When the house was remodeled in the mid 90's the door never was really right. We hardly ever use it. The steel security door (screen door) is loosing its paint and needs to be stripped and re-finished anyway so will take the opportunity to do it all at once and be done.

I see a lot of gun/ammo money here.....:):

That's how I feel when I have to spend money on anything else. But, but, I could buy xxx amount of .45 with that! :(

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    That's why we normally buy old stuff from used furniture shops or direct from someone. Particle board just isn't the same as nice oak or mahogany. I normally strip it down and re-finish and end up with some sweet pieces of furniture that I couldn't afford if I were buying new. They make good stuff now, but it's special order type stuff and super expensive. Good quality is not the standard these days.

Been in the furniture business for many years and most just isnt made like it used to be.psyko

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've been working on the house as well. House stuff isn't cheap. I did a lot of work this year installing new counters, a new sink, and re-doing our existing cabinets and island to support the new counters. Had to fix some issues we had with hanging cabinets drooping before getting started. I also re-did the island with a raised area so it actually functions as a place to eat now. Then I made new panels and trashed the old POS ones that were on the fridge (I'm too cheap to buy a real stainless fridge for over $1k). But the kitchen looks nice now. I'm finishing up the trim tonight, and then I'm done.

I also got the trees trimmed back this year. Had some big branches hanging over the house. Looked like a bunch of lumbar jacks came to my house and went to town by the time it was all done. Can't believe how much dead was up in the big oaks and maples.

Next year, I've still got quite the list.
    1) New master bedroom door (someone punched a hole in it...), new closet door, new bathroom doors. I HATE hollow core doors. Those are going to be gone.
    2) Install kegerator under current island (wife is awesome and asked for that for her birthday, so it has to be done before April). Already have the holes cut in the countertop. Just have to modify a mini-fridge and plumb it up.
    3) Paint everything. I need all new paint inside and outside the house. I hate painting and I've been putting this off for a long time.
    4) Completely re-do the front landscaping / flower beds. They look bad right now. Last guy that owned this trimmed it with flaky limestone, and it's all falling apart.

Ugh, I'm tired just thinking about all of it.

I have got to hope these projects will be the end for me......Oh no, we will be getting the front door and casing replaced as well.......:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been working on the house as well. House stuff isn't cheap. I did a lot of work this year installing new counters, a new sink, and re-doing our existing cabinets and island to support the new counters. Had to fix some issues we had with hanging cabinets drooping before getting started. I also re-did the island with a raised area so it actually functions as a place to eat now. Then I made new panels and trashed the old POS ones that were on the fridge (I'm too cheap to buy a real stainless fridge for over $1k). But the kitchen looks nice now. I'm finishing up the trim tonight, and then I'm done.

I also got the trees trimmed back this year. Had some big branches hanging over the house. Looked like a bunch of lumbar jacks came to my house and went to town by the time it was all done. Can't believe how much dead was up in the big oaks and maples.

Next year, I've still got quite the list.
    1) New master bedroom door (someone punched a hole in it...), new closet door, new bathroom doors. I HATE hollow core doors. Those are going to be gone.
    2) Install kegerator under current island (wife is awesome and asked for that for her birthday, so it has to be done before April). Already have the holes cut in the countertop. Just have to modify a mini-fridge and plumb it up.
    3) Paint everything. I need all new paint inside and outside the house. I hate painting and I've been putting this off for a long time.
    4) Completely re-do the front landscaping / flower beds. They look bad right now. Last guy that owned this trimmed it with flaky limestone, and it's all falling apart.

Ugh, I'm tired just thinking about all of it.

You had to mention paint didn't you. You just had to do that.

I will be done about the time I draw the last deep breath.........:)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:
    Happy Christmas eve, eve! Now is the time to get serious about Christmas shopping. I've never had to do any shopping on Christmas Eve, but if a package does not come by EOD today, I might just have to resort to that this year.

Thanks! After this one, I'm done buying guns for the rest of the year.
    That's an amazing amount of self restraint for this group. There are some here.. cough, CM, cough ...that could not confidently make that commitment on New Year'e Eve.

If I'm thinking correctly, when you chamber a round on a decocker, the hammer stays cocked but there's no "safety" engaged. So you have to use the de-cocker to lower the hammer, then the DA becomes the "safety". Close?

The decocker on my 40P does not work like others have mentioned above. It simply drops the hammer to the half cock notch and does not act as a safety at that point. It just drops the hammer and nothing else. When dropped, the DA pull is the only safety. There is no such thing as cocked and locked on my 40P

:coffee: Good morning guys. Yesterday was interesting. I bought Momma a new dining room set for Christmas and found the table top damaged beyond repair once I started unboxing it. Returned it to the furniture store and bought it her a better set. Learned a lesson there, you get what you pay for, not only true in guns but furniture as well. She's a happy little lady right now.

You have to take care of the wives and mothers. Mothers deserve it. Wives demand it.

That's why we normally buy old stuff from used furniture shops or direct from someone. Particle board just isn't the same as nice oak or mahogany. I normally strip it down and re-finish and end up with some sweet pieces of furniture that I couldn't afford if I were buying new. They make good stuff now, but it's special order type stuff and super expensive. Good quality is not the standard these days.

Almost all of the best furniture we have in our house was bought used. Like you, I can't afford to buy the quality of furniture I like if bought brand new.

Ok, today is day 3 of vacation and the only shooty thing on the schedule is a trip down to Atterbury to test the new 300BO AR pistol build. I decided to take it to Atterbury for it's first run since I figure it will be quieter down there and it's also easier to chase brass at Atterbury.

My house todo list for 2016 includes replacing one window that needs it and possibly 4 more that are getting close. I'm coming due for paint, but think I can go another year or two with some touchup. I have carpet that needs replaced in 4 rooms and might try to go with hardwood if I can swing it. Our kitchen is due for a remodel too, but I don't know if that will be a 2016 project. Our house is over 40 years old and the kitchen was redone about 30 years ago. We've been here 21 years now and the kitchen is tired. There are odd things in it too like the refridgerator is plugged into an outlet through a hole in the wall in a closet to keep from popping circuit breakers when the PO added a microwave. The whole house needs upgraded electrically in fact. It was built in the early '70s when there were not many outlets needed. We have only one in the garage and none in the back yard. Lots to do, but I don't think 2016 will see all of them done.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sounds like everyone in here has a lot of work to do on their house.

Morning folks! :coffee:

My house todo list for 2016 includes replacing one window that needs it and possibly 4 more that are getting close. I'm coming due for paint, but think I can go another year or two with some touchup. I have carpet that needs replaced in 4 rooms and might try to go with hardwood if I can swing it. Our kitchen is due for a remodel too, but I don't know if that will be a 2016 project. Our house is over 40 years old and the kitchen was redone about 30 years ago. We've been here 21 years now and the kitchen is tired. There are odd things in it too like the refridgerator is plugged into an outlet through a hole in the wall in a closet to keep from popping circuit breakers when the PO added a microwave. The whole house needs upgraded electrically in fact. It was built in the early '70s when there were not many outlets needed. We have only one in the garage and none in the back yard. Lots to do, but I don't think 2016 will see all of them done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The joys of home ownership. Sometimes I wish I rented...

No you don't.....:)

I also forgot to mention, and this is a good one......I have to re-carpet the back yard.

Sounds crazy right. My 8 year old G-daughter is allergic to the entire planet.
    Grass is #3 on the list. With that knowledge I put down carpet over 3/4ths of my back hard and put the Fort style swing set in the middle of it. That was 6 years ago and the carpet is due up for a freshening.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Next for me is Kitchen remodel. We've been in the house for 10 years and I've now realized how much of a hodge podge mess it is. My previous remodeling attempts have sucked.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You're right. I don't. I like having my own land and nobody being able to tell me I can't have pets or can't have a reloading bench in my garage, etc... Well.....the city technically has ordinances that I don't like.....But that's another discussion completely.

That's impressive that you go to those lengths for your grand kids.

No you don't.....:)

I also forgot to mention, and this is a good one......I have to re-carpet the back yard.

Sounds crazy right. My 8 year old G-daughter is allergic to the entire planet.
    Grass is #3 on the list. With that knowledge I put down carpet over 3/4ths of my back hard and put the Fort style swing set in the middle of it. That was 6 years ago and the carpet is due up for a freshening.

Kitchen's and bathrooms are super expensive to remodel. Even more so to do it right. But you also get the most out of your input in equity.....as long as you sell before it's "outdated" again :lmfao:

Next for me is Kitchen remodel. We've been in the house for 10 years and I've now realized how much of a hodge podge mess it is. My previous remodeling attempts have sucked.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Very accurate, majority of furniture built today is price point and cheap. And the richest people want the 399.00 sofas and in a couple years they replace them. They still make nice stuff but oh yea you will pay.psyko

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Happy wife, happy life... so so true

Oh Santa... I've been a good boy this year! Can I have this for Christmas?
    DSCF2605%201024x768_zpsnampktnf.jpg

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So this is what I have to look forward to...... Oh dear.... Just give me a small log cabin in the woods on about 100 acres. I'll be fine with that. Oh and I'd like a mountain, a river, a desert and a nice beach on the same property. That's all.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    So this is what I have to look forward to...... Oh dear.... Just give me a small log cabin in the woods on about 100 acres. I'll be fine with that. Oh and I'd like a mountain, a river, a desert and a nice beach on the same property. That's all.

He's catching on... :popcorn:

The the trick is to give them just enough to be happy, but not too much.
    They still want a little cat & mouse game. If they are too satisfied, drama starts getting manufactured and you don't want that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom