• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    What is idiotic is to not know that she is right and you can see russia from the United States. And even more idiotic to call her idiotic for being right.

Obviously, you fail to realize that the view of Russia has little to do with the political history of the country. Palin lost a fatal amount of credibility with the general population in the Couric video. Where she had given a strong speech at the convention and was admired by many, she was not so admirable in an ad lib situation which required her to think rather than read a speech. Frankly, the only good thing to come out of Wasilla is Portugal.The Man.

Assume I can see a pig farm from the end of my road. That tells me very little about the farmer. Or the pigs.

What it does tell me, however, is you guys will go to great lengths to pick fly specs out of pepper.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What is idiotic is to not know that she is right and you can see russia from the United States. And even more idiotic to call her idiotic for being right.

A black family moved in across the street from my house. I am now an expert in race relations? :):

The point was not whether you can actually see Russia from Alaska. The point was that this does not count as foreign policy experience.
    She may have more experience in social issues, given her proximity to unwed teen pregnancy.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A black family moved in across the street from my house. I am now an expert in race relations? :):

The point was not whether you can actually see Russia from Alaska. The point was that this does not count as foreign policy experience.
    She may have more experience in social issues, given her proximity to unwed teen pregnancy.

So you don't think that in living close to the borders of Russia, she was more aware of the danger the country represents through actually having repeated aviation and maritime incursions and providing ANG support for USAF or direct ADIZ intercepts or Coast Guard support of USN maritime operations? You don't think the Governor of Alaska is likely to be involved in military matters at a higher level?

By such a definition, one might conclude Volodymyr Zelensky has no better an understanding of the danger presented by Russia than Pete Bootyjudge does

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So you don't think that in living close to the borders of Russia, she was more aware of the danger the country represents through actually having repeated aviation and maritime incursions and providing ANG support for USAF or direct ADIZ intercepts or Coast Guard support of USN maritime operations? You don't think the Governor of Alaska is likely to be involved in military matters at a higher level?

She wasn't asked about domestic security issues, she was asked about foreign policy. I am aware of the threat that burglars pose to my residence, that doesn't make me a criminologist.

Why didn't she say something along the lines of your post, rather than "hurr-durr we neighbors?"

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

The post contained an eighteen second video where it was said that one could see russia from the United States. That was the only statement in the video. Nothing else was said. It seemed to be the whole point of the video. She was 100% correct. To call that true statement idiotic seems... well... idiotic.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The post contained an eighteen second video where it was said that one could see russia from the United States. That was the only statement in the video. Nothing else was said. It seemed to be the whole point of the video. She was 100% correct. To call that true statement idiotic seems... well... idiotic.

I remember this issue and am familiar with the context of the conversation. The only thing idiotic was her response to the question about her foreign policy experience. I haven't seen anybody saying that she is incorrect about being able to see Russia from Alaska. Of course that is correct. And idiotic as an example of foreign policy experience.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is unbelievable that someone who seems to enjoy debating political issues would post that. I have used that line to test political literacy in a joking manner for years. I asked who said "I can see Russia from my house" if they knew Tina Fey, I knew they were savvy, if not, they were just part of the dumb masses...

How about if they say, "Tina fay used those words to mock Sarah Palin's retarded answer to a question in an interview."

The actual Palin quote is "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." Getting to the point of the question, Tina Fey's mocking compared to what Palin actually said is a distinction without a difference. The question was asking Palin what insight does the proximity of Alaska to Russia give her about the actions of Russia in the past few weeks. And that was her answer to that! :n00b: Being able to see Russia from an island or, mockingly, from her back yard, isn't an intelligent answer. But it did inform the viewers to what depth Palin knew foreign policy.

She's on team Evangelical, and team conservative, so I get why a lot of Christians and conservatives are not all that open to seeing her from a critical viewpoint. And I'm not saying that Palin is stupid. I'm saying that she was out of her league, and she answered the question stupidly. I often say AOC is the left's Palin. Not stupid, just extremely ideologically informed, which is to say, not as informed about reality as she could be if her worldview was from a wider perspective.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That wasn't the gist of the answer. That was her answer in response to being asked what insight does being next to Russia give her. The dame was so dumb, she must have thought he meant literally "in sight" of rather that an understanding of Russia itself. Obviously being able to see something due to proximity doesn't mean you have an understanding of it.

No. I think it's more that she had no depth of knowledge on Russia policy to answer the question that was asked. A common practice of politicians when they don't have a good answer to the question, answer a different question.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If you want to point out that her answer to that question was geographically correct, that's fine, go ahead and do that. But the question wasn't about geography. It was a question which sought to assess the depth of her insight into Russian policy. There wasn't any depth there. There is no way to interpret her reply as an intelligent answer to the question that was actually asked.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I remember this issue and am familiar with the context of the conversation. The only thing idiotic was her response to the question about her foreign policy experience. I haven't seen anybody saying that she is incorrect about being able to see Russia from Alaska. Of course that is correct. And idiotic as an example of foreign policy experience.

One might as well ask what about the experience as a member of the New Castle (Delaware) County Council qualified one to be elected senator from Delaware? It's a little late to decry politics as a popularity contest. Because she was more popular than McCain, her experience had to be ruthlessly denigrated and her 'rubeness' (see how this relates to the present elitism) needed to be played up

Pretty much no one is as stupid as they can be made to appear via MSM driven propaganda, nor is anyone as competent as they can be made to appear by the hagiographic application of the same levers

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Defend Palin at your peril.

I think a lot of the ridicule she's gotten was undeserved. People have overblown a lot of that. She was thrust into a position she had no depth for. But, she certainly deserves the grief for things she's legitimately earned.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    One might as well ask what about the experience as a member of the New Castle (Delaware) County Council qualified one to be elected senator from Delaware? It's a little late to decry politics as a popularity contest. Because she was more popular than McCain, her experience had to be ruthlessly denigrated and her 'rubeness' (see how this relates to the present elitism) needed to be played up

Pretty much no one is as stupid as they can be made to appear via MSM driven propaganda, nor is anyone as competent as they can be made to appear by the hagiographic application of the same levers

Was she more popular than McCain? Ugh. C'mon BUG, even you knew that chick was as dumb as a box of rocks (or you're typical American voter), McCain picked her be she was a relative unknown, pleasing to eye, with a folksy appeal. She should have never been in the position she was tapped to hopefully do. She can't even run her own household, no way she could ever lead a nation.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's idiotic because it answers a question not asked, to sidestep her lack of depth. I mean. Why is it so hard to admit that the governor of Alaska, at the time, who had almost no involvement in national issues, and had just seconds earlier admitted that she'd never met a foreign head of state, lacked depth of knowledge on national issues. Issues of importance to Americans. Her Evangelicalness does not fit her for such a position.

That said, I think she does have a much better depth of knowledge of policy, 12 years later.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's idiotic because it answers a question not asked, to sidestep her lack of depth. I mean. Why is it so hard to admit that the governor of Alaska, at the time, who had almost no involvement in national issues, and had just seconds earlier admitted that she'd never met a foreign head of state, lacked depth of knowledge on national issues. Issues of importance to Americans. Her Evangelicalness does not fit her for such a position.

That said, I think she does have a much better depth of knowledge of policy, 12 years later.

Ok, I'll throw her a bone. Yes, she's smarter.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Or the vice presidential candidate who could see Russia from her back yard.

You don't want to go down the "stupid" path. Plenty of Morons in America. Enough for both sides.

This is what started on Palin. No mention of foreign policy. Just because someone wants to move the goalposts to foreign policy does not mean I have to go there.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Experience is a question that a candidate's constituency has to ask themselves. It's not everything, but it is a significant something. Gibson's question was important. She wanted to be vice president, as such could possibly become an unexpected president. So yeah, it was a fair question to ask, and she answered poorly. Palin was more popular than McCain with conservative Christians. That popularity has more to do with devotion to identity than devotion to facts. But I do agree, that the media did make Palin out to be more stupid than she is. I don't think she's stupid. I think she was just out of her league. And being an Evangelical conservative Christian, doesn't make up for that. That's why I wish people would look to all the facts and not just the facts evident through one's identity.

McCain obviously picked her because he wanted to virtue signal having a woman running mate, and he wanted her to appeal to conservative Christians, since that was a large voting bloc for Republicans. He picked poorly, IMO.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That wasn't the gist of the answer. That was her answer in response to being asked what insight does being next to Russia give her. The dame was so dumb, she must have thought he meant literally "in sight" of rather that an understanding of Russia itself. Obviously being able to see something due to proximity doesn't mean you have an understanding of it.

And no other politician ever said anything dumb. LOL. Maybe she thought Gibson dumb and that he needed to know. Maybe she thought the audience wouldn't know after years of explaining it as governor. It is the height of eliteism to call her dumb. The left always calls conservative women names to distract from their equality independence, and power in the Republican Party...

The basis for the line was Governor Palin’s 11 September 2008 appearance on ABC News, her first major interview after being tapped as the vice-presidential nominee. During that appearance, interviewer Charles Gibson asked her what insight she had gained from living so close to Russia, and she responded: “They’re our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska”:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dcb500
    Top Bottom