Not open for further replies.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Actually you would have to go back to at least 653 for the genesis of this part of the discussion. And no need to go back and look at post 661. I replied to it. See my reply (again) below.

And once again, nothing in the post you quoted had anything to do with your reply, talk about moving goalposts... Well actually more of a strawman.

Meh

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This is another one of those areas where I’m pretty sure Trump is pandering. I don’t really think Trump is anti-abortion himself. But running as a Republican he has to be anti-abortion to have any chance.

Of course that means that it’s still an easy choice for anti-abortion voters. If that’s your primary motivation, you can vote for the sure thing (the one who promises to extend abortion even up until birth) or you can vote for the panderer who knows that his support base depends on him toeing the anti-abortion line.

It’s similar to guns. I don’t think Trump is all that 2A friendly. But it’s less likely that Trump would sign any broadly meaningful gun legislation, notwithstanding his unconstitutional action to redefine “machine gun”. But with Democrats, some vowing to confiscate guns, while others chastise them, not for wanting to confiscate them, but for tipping their hand, it’s a sure thing. If Dems have both houses and the presidency, there will be another AWB.
    Well some of that may be true. Evangelicals are obviously not voting based on individual virtues.

They are aware that Trump is a fallible human being and I’m sure they pray for him as such on his shortcomings but so far he has demonstrated to them that his recent tendencies align the most with with the two basic criteria of religious freedom and the rights of the unborn.

They have their own pragmatic policy voting preferences just like anyone else.

I know I don’t vote for Trump based on virtue. There would be no reason to vote for him on that alone. I vote policy.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Welcome to INGO - ewe mussed be gnu hear.

:)

Speak_no_evil__GNU_color.png

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well some of that may be true. Evangelicals are obviously not voting based on individual virtues.

They are aware that Trump is a fallible human being and I’m sure they pray for him as such on his shortcomings but so far he has demonstrated to them that his recent tendencies align the most with with the two basic criteria of religious freedom and the rights of the unborn.

I know I don’t vote for Trump based on virtue. There would be no reason to vote for him on that alone. I vote policy.

It’s a safe bet to say that the majority of people telling you NOT to vote for Trump based on his moral failures are atheists.

(yes, religion does not equal morals, but the ones the atheists are harping on against Trump are religious in basis.)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ah I confused the church treasury with the state treasury.

I understand why. The two were intertwined at the time referred to in Mark 12, at least as to the local government.

...and as Jesus was praising what the widow did and said nothing about the Temple treasury, I have a hard time calling what, y'know, Christ was talking about.....unchristian. This is why that statement confused me.

Anyhoo.....

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They apparently are. "Evangelicals," have for as long as I can remember, talked about choosing candidates based on morality. Trump comes along, and that morality seems to have become flexible. Trump, is a philanderer, liar, disrespectful, arrogant, bully. His knowledge of Biblical thought seem pedestrian, if not poor. Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, and Pride. Which trait, can't be used to describe trump?
    And I'd challenge your claim that the other side is anti-religious. That's not true at all. There are plenty of of STRONG Christians, as well as Jews, Muslims, and a a variety of other religions that identify with Trumperism, and still hold essentially the same moral traits as those on the other side.

Evangelicals have in the past talked about candidate morality, particularly related to the likes Bill Clinton and his perjury and sexual assaults. The left actually used this against them, much as you are trying to do now, but some wise men realized that God uses imperfect vessels to do his will. The evangelicals have learned, successfully so, that an imperfect vessel like Trump can do more to stop abortion than many of the very godly. A vote cast is not for the most Godly candidate, but rather for the one that will do Gods will.

The left is very anti-religious. That you can write that is unreal. Just look at how the left constantly attacks freedom of religious thought, from the Colorado baker, to social media companies banning their speech.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Evangelical here.

Policies. I care about the policies a politician advocates. Would be great if the person had pristine personal morality, but it doesn't seem like we can have both at this time.

That being the case, since I'm voting for a governmental position, not a pastor, I'll vote for the one who advocates what I believe to be better policies.

For me, it's really pretty simple.

If we want to step back in time and talk about Clinton...which seems like a waste of time, I didn't like many of his policies and his moral failings were a tool to weaken him and keep his policies from being implemented. I don't understand why this is complicated.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It’s a safe bet to say that the majority of people telling you NOT to vote for Trump based on his moral failures are atheists.

(yes, religion does not equal morals, but the ones the atheists are harping on against Trump are religious in basis.)

If one claims to be an evangelical voter, then explain how questioning their vote for Trump makes them an atheist?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Paraphrased, render unto Caesar that which is Caesars. A vote is Caesars and is rendered to Caesar to best achieve Gods will.

The left has long played a game that evangelicals have fallen for so many times, the game is use evangelicals morals against them to take out candidates that might be more successful in implementing the evangelicals political positions. When the Trump/Billy Bush tape came out it was then I realized that conservatives as a whole were past eliminating good candidates for normal human failings.

Evangelicals have learned that if they misapply the "let he without sin cast the first stone" to politics they have no one to send to DC to cast stones.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Paraphrased, render unto Caesar that which is Caesars. A vote is Caesars and is rendered to Caesar to best achieve Gods will.

The left has long played a game that evangelicals have fallen for so many times, the game is use evangelicals morals against them to take out candidates that might be more successful in implementing the evangelicals political positions. When the Trump/Billy Bush tape came out it was then I realized that conservatives as a whole were past eliminating good candidates for normal human failings.

Evangelicals have learned that if they misapply the "let he without sin cast the first stone" to politics they have no one to send to DC to cast stones.

You're right in that demanding infallibility is unreasonable. I think the argument against Trump though is more about degree, how far from an evangelical he is. He barely puts up a pretense of being religious.

That said I imagine a lot of politicians are far less religious than they put on. They realize 'athiest' is the one label no one gets elected wearing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You're right in that demanding infallibility is unreasonable. I think the argument against Trump though is more about degree, how far from an evangelical he is. He barely puts up a pretense of being religious.

That said I imagine a lot of politicians are far less religious than they put on. They realize 'athiest' is the one label no one gets elected wearing.

As far as Trump's faith, all I'll say is that I have hope for him.....but then again, I have hope for everyone.

Jimmy Carter was in the same denomination as me and I think Bill Clinton still is....I would never have voted for Carter and didn't vote for Clinton even though they were in the same "tribe", so to speak. I did vote for Romney and what religion he is was a complete not factor for me. I never questions President Obama's faith as that is not for me to do.

Honestly, it bothers me when religious figures cozy up to candidates in an election context. I really admired Billy Graham- how he preached the Gospel, undiluted and would show respect for and meet with leaders of all kinds of religious background, never compromising his message. Franklin could stand to take a page.

Policies.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I said majority... Stop trying to twist.
    That's not what he said.

He, in his goalpost moving glory, seems to think otherwise, unless you're hung up on the word "majority" too. And FYI, a "safe bet" isn't what I'd call 51%. Nevertheless, my question stands, how can one assume that someone else is atheist, because they (someone who isn't holding themselves up a worthy to lead others), believe that others shouldn't vote for Trump due to his moral failings.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think its not fair to avoid saying something about a politician if it isn't that person's own rejection of something that isn't a widely held belief, or isn't even a requirement to not have the position.

ETA:
    That isn't directed at any one INGOer, but rather a commentary on the current discussion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom