• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I believe it was you that said it would have been a lot more IF the democrats had their way.
    Mnuchin (R) went to the Senate (majority R) negotiated a deal that was acceptable to the Senate, let the house make a few changes and passed it.
    How is that? Most everyone in Congress voted for it, and you say it is all Republican ownership.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I believe it was you that said it would have been a lot more IF the democrats had their way.
    Mnuchin (R) went to the Senate (majority R) negotiated a deal that was acceptable to the Senate, let the house make a few changes and passed it.

It's not from a lack of trying... where have you been?

[h=1]House Speaker Pelosi unveils $2.5 trillion Democrat coronavirus stimulus plan as Senate bill stagnates[/h]

https://fortune.com/2020/03/24/nancy-pelosi-democrat-coronavirus-stimulus-plan-senate-bill/

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They did want more. You left out a whole lot of push back from the Ds. The original bill was for around $1T. In the end it was more like $3.3T
    https://time.com/5810315/congress-coronavirus-bailout/

While the process ultimately yielded a bipartisan outcome – rare in today’s Congress – it was not without hiccups along the way. Senate Democrats blocked procedural attempts to move Republicans initial version of a bill forward, arguing that their colleagues were prioritizing corporations over workers and hospitals and continuing pushing for more reinforcements in those areas and stringent oversight measures. After days of intense negotiations on Capitol Hill between Senate Democrats and Treasury Secretary Mnuchin, lawmakers finally announced a deal after what seemed like endless debate on the Senate floor early in the morning on Wednesday. And it still took nearly another 24 hours before the actual text of the bill was released and voted on.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coronavirus-senate-relief-bill_n_5e77d45fc5b63c3b6492a6a6
    Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), meanwhile, said his party opposed moving forward with the bill “because among other problems it includes huge bailouts without protections for people and workers and without accountability, and because it shortchanges our hospitals and health care workers who need our help.”

Schumer said he was hopeful changes could be made in ongoing discussions with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin but added that “we are not yet at that point.”

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So you believe it had to be passed?

No the economy was doing fine under Trump before the corona scare took hold. Kind of a rock and a hard place here.

If you need someone to blame let's look to who caused the scare and the need to even have a bailout in the first place.
    I know it happened a long time ago, but try.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At this point, federalization of local police by executive fiat doesn't even make a ripple.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You have to keep in mind the folks making these 'points' seem obsessed with what government is doing wrong and oblivious to the breakdown of social order resulting in mob rule in many cities, as well as incognizance that failure to put down rebellion seldom results in less rebellion

If what the government is trying to do is so transparently illegal, you would think some bright young lawyer could lead the charge and challenge them in court. I'm sure there are no shortage of leftist organizations, from the ABA on down, that would get behind him and push

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You have to keep in mind the folks making these 'points' seem obsessed with what government is doing wrong and oblivious to the breakdown of social order resulting in mob rule in many cities, as well as incognizance that failure to put down rebellion seldom results in less rebellion

If what the government is trying to do is so transparently illegal, you would think some bright young lawyer could lead the charge and challenge them in court. I'm sure there are no shortage of leftist organizations, from the ABA on down, that would get behind him and push

I want people to be able to protest. I want order maintained. It's not bad to want both. I don't think we have to have a top-down solution to everything, but only when it's our guy in office.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How long should the government wait for any other type of solution to implement itself? Should we tolerate yellow vest type lawlessness here? I want order maintained more than I want people to be able to use legitimate protest as cover for lawlessness. I'm for more robust discouragement of anarchy

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How long should the government wait for any other type of solution to implement itself? Should we tolerate yellow vest type lawlessness here? I want order maintained more than I want people to be able to use legitimate protest as cover for lawlessness. I'm for more robust discouragement of anarchy

What do you want done? I kinda think it's a state and local issue most of the time. The people of Antifastan don't seem to want rescued. The people directly outside of Antifastan don't seem to mind them being there. They're getting lots of stuff donated. I'm not saying I agree with their way of handling it, but I don't live there. When it seemed as though the residents there weren't too happy about it I had another outcome in mind.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom