The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, some heavy intimidation tactics going on there.

Yeah, but kinda lame at the same time.

I mean, POTUS Trump himself has gone after Cohen. Is Cohen then supposed to care what some junior rep from podunk [strike]Alabama[/strike] Florida says?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Except what Gaetz did was possibly illegal and broke the rules of the House. He was warned about that, notwithstanding that the rules only going one way. You guys sure can spin a **** sandwich into ham.

What I had read was that Gaetz essentially said 'Does your wife know all about your girlfriends, and do you think she'll stay loyal to you when she does? I think it's time we went down that road' or some such. I didn't read any additional language of the sort of 'Think about that before you testify'. Sure, the implication is there; but it only competes with the implication from the other side that essentially 'Testify as we wish and maybe you won't rot in jail as long as is currently scheduled'. Cohen may have been sentenced, but I think there is still discretion on where he serves that time, no? There are still inducements to sing the sheet music he has been given

I read it as more of a promise of retribution absolutely to come rather than an attempt at intimidation. More "Fill your hand, you son of a *****" than "We have ways of making you [not] talk"

By Muellerian standards of 'justice' trying to get Cohen's wife to turn on him is just good police work, isn't it? Who knows what we might find out then (of course we should overlook or downplay any motivation toward revenge and treat such testimony as gospel). It's still all just so much Kabuki.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Accusing Trump of everything from silent-but-deadlys up to the Lindbergh baby kidnapping for the past 2+ years really takes the impact out of anything Cohen could possibly say.

Oh, and Cohen being a confirmed a-hole doesn't hurt Trump.

We could use a little more omerta in this world.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Accusing Trump of everything from silent-but-deadlys up to the Lindbergh baby kidnapping for the past 2+ years really takes the impact out of anything Cohen could possibly say.

Oh, and Cohen being a confirmed a-hole doesn't hurt Trump.

We could use a little more omerta in this world.

Hildebeest had her own form of omerta - just kill the witnesses.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hildebeest had her own form of omerta - just kill the witnesses.

Speaking as a guy who represented a nationally ( (maybe internationally) know fugitive. later felon, who was deposed about said representation....and asserted attorney-client privilege dozens of times, let's just say that I don't think much of Cohen.

The key as an attorney is not committing crimes yourself such that there is no leverage to entice you to be a rat.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Speaking as a guy who represented a nationally ( (maybe internationally) know fugitive. later felon, who was deposed about said representation....and asserted attorney-client privilege dozens of times, let's just say that I don't think much of Cohen.

The key as an attorney is not committing crimes yourself such that there is no leverage to entice you to be a rat.

That attorney-client privilege could easily put you in a place I wouldn't want to be in.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ever wonder why Trump didn't sue/isn't suing to keep Cohen from talking?

Pretty sure he waived the privilege (and some of this falls into some exceptions anyway).

If nothing else, but tweeting about what he did and didn't tell Cohen, he's waiving the privilege as to those topics.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ever wonder why Trump didn't sue/isn't suing to keep Cohen from talking?

Still within the SOL.

Pretty sure he waived the privilege (and some of this falls into some exceptions anyway).

A judge is going to have to tell me that in the form of an order compelling testimony. Then I'll fight it like an SOB and take all the appeals I can. Of course, this is all assuming that, myself, was smart enough to not break the law....an apparent Cohen failing.

If nothing else, but tweeting about what he did and didn't tell Cohen, he's waiving the privilege as to those topics.

My issue isn't Trump's idiocy, it's Cohen being a slime.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

And it didn't take a decade with him working by your side to figure it out!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Still within the SOL.

A judge is going to have to tell me that in the form of an order compelling testimony.

Honest question, how either descriptions non-reciprocal to the other?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A judge is going to have to tell me that in the form of an order compelling testimony. Then I'll fight it like an SOB and take all the appeals I can. Of course, this is all assuming that, myself, was smart enough to not break the law....an apparent Cohen failing.

Indeed, it seems to me he was predisposed to that behavior and Trump was more than happy to indulge it.

Agreed.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Honest question, how either descriptions non-reciprocal to the other?

I find many things that Trump has done in his life slimy. But I'm not a real estate developer or a president. I'm a lawyer and, supposedly, Cohen is too. I am somewhat more sensitive to Cohen's lack of...many things....due to my knowledge and beliefs about what this should mean.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It's not really that hard to avoid screwing yourself over.

Step 1- Want to not screw yourself over.

Cohen couldn't even get that far.

What if a client tells you she helped one of Hildebeest's witnesses commit "suicide"? You can't un-know something so that would put you would be in a risky position.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What if a client tells you she helped one of Hildebeest's witnesses commit "suicide"? You can't un-know something so that would put you would be in a risky position.

What if a client tells me that they have committed a crime?

I'm sure that never happens.

...and as long as we're not talking about future crimes, I'm not talking.

...and I'm not that interested in anything Clinton. At this point, no one should be.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It is just that knowing facts about those particular crimes could put you on a hit list.

And I think it is wrong for people to get by with serious crimes, even if they are clintons, so that interest doesn't just go away.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom