• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I really like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W2GXZMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81mgmgqUzaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Combines a large ferro rod, striker and tinder into a single package. Think of it like a jumbo trench lighter.
    4" & 6" sizes.
    Currently under $20

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I really like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W2GXZMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81mgmgqUzaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Combines a large ferro rod, striker and tinder into a single package. Think of it like a jumbo trench lighter.
    4" & 6" sizes.
    Currently under $20
    This has a slightly different way to light than the old rope lighter.
    You can use the rope lighter put it in a zip lock bag and throw it in your pack or cargo pocket etc. The ignition on this is much better I think than the original rope lighter design.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When I go to the outdoors, I keep a mini bic in my cook kit, then a regular bic in the top pouch of the backpack. I also keep a small ferro rod in that same pouch, and a small ferro rod "firefly" in the swiss army knife in my pocket. I take one stick of fatwood per day and wrap that up in a bandana. I am also a really big fan of the pathfinder / self reliance outfitters "Mini Inferno Fire Starters" saved for use only in a dire emergency like someone fell into water and is going hyperthermic.

With this setup I have easy redundant means to make fire on my body, in my pack. Everything can get dumped in the water and still work just fine. There's an easy way to make fire anywhere anytime, and there's an even easier way to make a fire right this instant if needed for true emergency.

Top Bottom