• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    This is what the "Stars and Bars" actually looked like. It was the 1st pattern confederate national flag. It wasn't used in the field because it looked too much like the U.S. flag and caused confusion.
    View attachment 39480

History lesson over, carry on with the fight.

p.s. If you really want to fly the confederate flag, just fly the 1st national flag, nobody will question it because few people know what it is. The national parks at the various civil war battlegrounds learned this lesson years ago.

I think you'd find far fewer people have a problem with that flag being flown.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Louis Gates is who you're thinking of. He's really smart for a moron. He wasn't arrested for walking while black, he was arrested for disorderly conduct after breaking into his home, because he lost his keys, and then acting like an idiot when police arrived to check it out.

Thank you. I didn't remember the details and was only operating from the precis of his credentials given on that same site. It was late and I lazily did not research further because I wasn't going to use the source

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That and the fact that IRS weasels deliberately destroyed email back-ups after they were ordered to be produced.
    And the wonderful situation in Iraq and Syria.
    And a few dozen other scandals, crimes, and acts of evil that will get swept under the rug.

Its that small window when there are no playoffs underway, so the usual 'opiate of the people' - which currently is sports, having taken over from Marx's original assertion, does not apply. Normally it would be 'Yes, the IRS WAS used as a political tool, and now they are in full cover-up mode - but HEY, how about those [insert name of favored sports franchise here]'

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It would be odd for an Italian army soldier to have a patch in German right? "Freies Arabien" ain't Italian.
    Wehrmacht insignia alright. There's not a lot of data on this, not surprising. Their uniform or photo op? Considering Hitler had his hometown destroyed to cover up his ethnic background I don't think this will ever be seen in records, which the Nazis were known for keeping.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wehrmacht insignia alright. There's not a lot of data on this, not surprising. Their uniform or photo op? Considering Hitler had his hometown destroyed to cover up his ethnic background I don't think this will ever be seen in records, which the Nazis were known for keeping.

It would probably surprise you, but there's even a well known instance of a black kid in the Hitler Youth. Simply put there were simply too few blacks in Reich controlled areas for the Nazis to have adopted an official policy on them. The famous entertainer Josphine Baker work for the French resistance, and was more likely to be asked for autographs than papers.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It would probably surprise you, but there's even a well known instance of a black kid in the Hitler Youth. Simply put there were simply too few blacks in Reich controlled areas for the Nazis to have adopted an official policy on them. The famous entertainer Josphine Baker work for the French resistance, and was more likely to be asked for autographs than papers.
    After some digging I found pictures of Chinese soldiers in the Wehrmacht. You'd expect the countries the Nazis overrun to be represented, but China? With all the German insignia color pics would be great, but that's a bridge too far (see what I did there??)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    After some digging I found pictures of Chinese soldiers in the Wehrmacht. You'd expect the countries the Nazis overrun to be represented, but China? With all the German insignia color pics would be great, but that's a bridge too far (see what I did there??)

China, Japan, India, probably some South American countries as well. I believe all were represented in the Waffen SS or the Wermacht. Some of these ethinic groups were large enough to actually have formed units.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    This is neither here nor there, but can we at least get the names correct? I have seen the CBF referenced several times as the "Stars and Bars" now, and frankly, I'm finding it difficult to believe that the history of the flag actually means all that much to you if you don't even know the proper names.

This is NOT the "Stars and Bars." It is the Confederate Battle Flag, also known as the "Starry Cross." You can actually get more technical than simply referring to it as the CBF, the battle flags of different field armies usually differed, but I don't want to seem more anal about it all than what I already will.
    View attachment 39479

This is what the "Stars and Bars" actually looked like. It was the 1st pattern confederate national flag. It wasn't used in the field because it looked too much like the U.S. flag and caused confusion.
    View attachment 39480

History lesson over, carry on with the fight.

p.s. If you really want to fly the confederate flag, just fly the 1st national flag, nobody will question it because few people know what it is. The national parks at the various civil war battlegrounds learned this lesson years ago.

I've always like the "Bonnie Blue Flag" myself. Gives you some history with out the "in your face" controversy and the red-neck taint of the Battle Flag.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've always like the "Bonnie Blue Flag" myself. Gives you some history with out the "in your face" controversy and the red-neck taint of the Battle Flag.

I think all the hoopla would have been avoided if in the 50s and 60s Southern states didn't start putting up the battle flag in protest of the Civil Rights movement.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I find the flag offensive. It makes me think of a time in our history that I would rather forget. But, the display of that flag should be protected under the First Amendment. Unfortunately, liberals do not believe in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights anymore. Now that they have the majority and the SCOTUS has dashed attempts by States to restrict voting to people who are alive and citizens of this country, the libs will forever have the majority. Now we are ruled by groupthink and the MSM tells those idiots how to think. I feel very sorry for my grandsons.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Hey, even racism has it's limits. Josephine was hot no matter what race.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I think all the hoopla would have been avoided if in the 50s and 60s Southern states didn't start putting up the battle flag in protest of the Civil Rights movement.

You are certainly free to think what you like. That is one of the beauties of the US. Whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You don't want to take down the flag? Apparently you've "resigned to more mass shootings"

****in USA Today

CI1TAD9WEAATCJX.jpg:large

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    the confederate flag is part of history, weather you associate it with pride or states rights or slavery or insert your thoughts!!! but it is history and should be remembered for its part... Libs too often want to forget what they feel is not acceptable part of history and either change it or deny its existence. for those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You don't want to take down the flag? Apparently you've "resigned to mass shootings"

****in USA Today

CI1TAD9WEAATCJX.jpg:large

Nah, just church burnings. For all the news you bring us, I would have thought you have at least mentioned that 7 black churches and been touched since this Dylynn Roof thing. Or did you do that, and I just missed it?

Top Bottom