• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Baltimore police lieutenant Brian Rice found not guilty of involuntary manslaughter in Freddie Gray death

Still waiting to hear on a misconduct-in-office charge.

Edit: Acquitted on all charges

Terrible showing for State's Attorney Mosby, who is accused of rushing to charge police officers without evidence. Mosby is 0-3 of convictions, with an additional mistrial in the first prosecution of Officer Porter.

Mosby faces defamation and malicious prosecution civil suits from several of the officers she charged in the death of Gray

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Baltimore police lieutenant Brian Rice found not guilty of involuntary manslaughter in Freddie Gray death

Still waiting to hear on a misconduct-in-office charge.

Edit: Acquitted on all charges

Terrible showing for State's Attorney Mosby, who is accused of rushing to charge police officers without evidence. Mosby is 0-3 of convictions, with an additional mistrial in the first prosecution of Officer Porter.

Mosby faces defamation and malicious prosecution civil suits from several of the officers she charged in the death of Gray

So Mosby is clearly qualified to be US Attorney General under the current administration.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and these acquitals have been lightly reported. I mean, they've been reported in the news, but never emphasized, discussed, made a subject of "analysts", etc....that I've seen.

The media is very good at painting a picture of police misconduct before the facts are in and not at all keen on discussing their exoneration. this is what happens when agenda drives reporting instead of events and facts.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ...and these acquitals have been lightly reported. I mean, they've been reported in the news, but never emphasized, discussed, made a subject of "analysts", etc....that I've seen.

The media is very good at painting a picture of police misconduct before the facts are in and not at all keen on discussing their exoneration. this is what happens when agenda drives reporting instead of events and facts.

I find it odd... I figured the media would push these acquittals pretty hard, with the "they got away with it" angle... maybe stoke some protest fires with it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Allegations, speculation, and torturing the few facts available until they fit the narrative are fun. Facts and admitting you were wrong are not.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Mistakes go on page one. Corrections? Page nine, below the fold.;)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

This has been the case since the 1964 Presidential campaign. It may have started before then, but that was when the networks began obviously slanting the reporting to favor Democrats/Liberals. It has gone on so long that most people now consider it normal and anything approaching unbiased reporting is labeled "Extreme Right-Wing Propaganda."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Those who give in to the mob always forget that the mob will eventually turn on them.

I am overjoyed at the news of Lt. Rice's acquittal. He was a sacrificial lamb to a political monster. These cops all got a bum rap, I hope that they are compensated for it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I believe that the biggest problem the media has with the cop killers is that they mess up the narrative and cause sympathy for the police.

...that probably goes for the President and many liberals, as well.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Finally a call for the 10 run rule:
    Legal analysts ripped Baltimore prosecutors Monday over their handling of the Freddie Gray case, saying the prosecution should drop all charges against the three remaining police officers or risk more embarrassment in the courtroom.

John Banzhaf, law professor, seeks disbarment of Baltimore prosecutors in Freddie Gray cases - Washington Times

What’s more, John Banzhaf, an activist law professor at George Washington University, said he would file a complaint Tuesday with the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission calling for the disbarment of the lead prosecutors in the trials of the six police officers accused of wrongdoing in the 2015 arrest and death of the 25-year-old black man.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    State drops all charges against Baltimore Officer Garrett Miller in arrest and death of Freddie Gray

https://twitter.com/saliqaWBAL/status/758294894498701312

I wonder if perhaps not only the lack of conviction but the lack of proof that a criminal act occurred, apparent misconduct by the prosecutor to withhold exculpatory evidence, and the political advantage to the prosecutions losing steam might have influence that a bit?

According to presiding Judge Barry Williams, prosecutors in the Goodson trial withheld critical information from the defense that could have helped their case. Sharing such "exculpatory" information is a core legal obligation in prosecutions and goes to fundamental fairness rights.
    "I'm not saying you did anything nefarious. I'm saying you don't understand what 'exculpatory' means," Williams told prosecutors upon discovering the violations.

Political theater from the beginning.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    "I'm not saying you did anything nefarious. I'm saying you don't understand what 'exculpatory' means," Williams told prosecutors upon discovering the violations.

Is this like what happened with Hiliary?

Yes, you committed a crime, but you weren't doing it on purpose; you were just careless or, in this case, stupid?

"Oh, gee, officer, I didn't mean to shoot anybody. I just wanted to see if my pistol's safety was on so I fired it out the car window 8 times. I guess I was just careless and misguided. I thought bullets only hit people if you meant for them to hit someone."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Is this like what happened with Hiliary?

Yes, you committed a crime, but you weren't doing it on purpose; you were just careless or, in this case, stupid?

"Oh, gee, officer, I didn't mean to shoot anybody. I just wanted to see if my pistol's safety was on so I fired it out the car window 8 times. I guess I was just careless and misguided. I thought bullets only hit people if you meant for them to hit someone."

I'll let the lawyers weigh in, as I don't know if it's an actual crime. I'm out of my depth with what's a crime, what's a procedural violation, etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If ignorance of the law is no excuse (including ignorance of legal terms), then it should apply to lawyers if it applies to anyone.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

For a prosecutor to not understand "exculpatory" would seem to be incompetence to a degree that is criminal, no? As noted above in one of the quotes, this is a pretty basic principle, it's not like the prosecutor was late to court because she overslept.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If ignorance of the law is no excuse (including ignorance of legal terms), then it should apply to lawyers if it applies to anyone.

To clarify, I'm not saying it's either right or ok. It's quite the opposite. I just don't know if it's a crime, a procedural violation that could result in mistrial, ethics violation that the bar takes care of, grounds to be sued, or some combination of them.

Top Bottom