• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If that’s true, then yes I agree, they can **** off. My only issue is everyone is labeled white supremacists now days. Hell, even the proud boys are labeled white supremacists. Imo, until it’s proven they’re white supremacists, they shouldn’t be labeled anything or banned from anything. Once they post or out themselves in someway as white supremacists, then of course it’s fair game.

You forget the new false dichotomy, that of being either racist or anti-racist for them or against them. If you don't support ending the freedom to differ from the party line, then of course you are racist

If you also happen to be white? Well ... get off the street!

"You have the right to free speech ... as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it" - The Clash, Know Your Rights

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You are failing here, everyone should have their free speech in the public square, no matter how repugnant the views. Twitter has become the public square. As long as the speech is not ruled by a court to be defamatory or otherwise illegal, in other words you can legally yell it in the town square it should be allowed on the virtual public square.

These social media companies wanted to be "the place" for social contact, be careful what you wish for, it might not turn out like you planned. These companies have succeeded at levels they now are public utilities not a private company and therefore anything legal can be said.

Certainly Gab could find other service providers. I see no reason that Apple, Google, Firefox, etc have to accomodate every ******* that thinks he has something to say. INGO doesn't need Apple or Google. I see no reason that Gab feels they are "special".

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Certainly Gab could find other service providers. I see no reason that Apple, Google, Firefox, etc have to accomodate every ******* that thinks he has something to say. INGO doesn't need Apple or Google. I see no reason that Gab feels they are "special".

Brother, this post just shows how far out of your expertise you are commenting on and how little you have thought this through. Just what phone system would one put Gab on if Google and Apple will not let you in their app stores. Microsoft lost billions of dollars trying to be the third wheel of the cell phone hardware business, there are few options, and those that exist usually do not run apps, only calls.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    To indulge in a little fantasy, accuse Dorsey, Pichai and Zuckerberg of treasonous election interference, raid the headquarters, take them off to some federal pen in flyover country and shut down social media until we investigate - basically treat them like a conservatives account on their platforms
    That's only a part of the issue though. You would need to add the majority of the news agencies to get a good start on it.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Brother, this post just shows how far out of your expertise you are commenting on and how little you have thought this through. Just what phone system would one put Gab on if Google and Apple will not let you in their app stores. Microsoft lost billions of dollars trying to be the third wheel of the cell phone hardware business, there are few options, and those that exist usually do not run apps, only calls.

How do you access INGO? Through a specialized app?

The following link took one click.

https://apps.gab.com/

Sometimes it's good for you to climb down off your cloud with the other gurus and get into the real world.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I probably would have told them to **** off too.

I looked into Gab when it first started, and that was before they had much membership at all. They had to find alternate resources, because providers shunned them. They had issues with who would host them. Potential hosts were being targeted and so they backed down. They eventually got things going and were cast as a haven for the far right out of the gate at a time that wasn't true yet. But it kinda became that, because the only people who were on it were people de-platformed from other social media. And out of those, of course there were far right racists, and they pretty much took over the conversation. It became what its become BECAUSE of the interference from other tech companies, and not the other way around. You just can't create competitors of the tech giants. They won't let you in.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

They did find other service providers that weren't subject to strong-arming by the tech giants.

INGO runs somewhere. That somewhere has to have internet access too. They need a provider. So what would happen to INGO if their service provider was targeted by companies which the service provider depended on, and told to dump INGO or they wouldn't have access to credit, or infrastructure, or whatever else? That's kinda what they did to Gab. And of course, Gab did find a place to host their service, and they found some other key providers. But it turned to ****. Because the racists can say whatever they want, they chased everyone else off.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I looked into Gab when it first started, and that was before they had much membership at all. They had to find alternate resources, because providers shunned them. They had issues with who would host them. Potential hosts were being targeted and so they backed down. They eventually got things going and were cast as a haven for the far right out of the gate at a time that wasn't true yet. But it kinda became that, because the only people who were on it were people de-platformed from other social media. And out of those, of course there were far right racists, and they pretty much took over the conversation. It became what its become BECAUSE of the interference from other tech companies, and not the other way around. You just can't create competitors of the tech giants. They won't let you in.

I think they found their own center of gravity the way most do. Mutual attraction.

The same is true of INGO.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How do you access INGO? Through a specialized app?

The following link took one click.

https://apps.gab.com/

Sometimes it's good for you to climb down off your cloud with the other gurus and get into the real world.

See, you'd be okay if you'd just leave these kinds of statements out of it. Not everyone who disagrees with you needs to be slapped. And this isn't even a slap. And the ironic thing is that you don't understand this. Bug just didn't pull some words out of his ass. You do come off as imperious and condescending every time someone disagrees with you. And even on issues more in their wheelhouse than yours. I mean if people disagree with you, okay. Fine. Shrug it off. Trade some counterpoints. Maybe both sides learn something that they didn't know.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That's only a part of the issue though. You would need to add the majority of the news agencies to get a good start on it.

I don't think even the corrupt MSM is 1/10 as corrosive to civic discourse as FB and twitter are. If I could only do one, big tech is by far the more existential threat to liberty

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    See, you'd be okay if you'd just leave these kinds of statements out of it. Not everyone who disagrees with you needs to be slapped. And this isn't even a slap. And the ironic thing is that you don't understand this. Bug just didn't pull some words out of his ass. You do come off as imperious and condescending every time someone disagrees with you. And even on issues more in their wheelhouse than yours. I mean if people disagree with you, okay. Fine. Shrug it off. Trade some counterpoints. Maybe both sides learn something that they didn't know.

Brother, this post just shows how far out of your expertise you are commenting on and how little you have thought this through

Both you and Mike have commented in a similar manner, yet you appeal to your own authority when the facts suggest otherwise.

I owe no explanation for taking a hardline with some of INGO's hardliners. You'll find I rarely do that with other than the usual suspects. Chasing off those that disagree with you renders this site no better than the one we are presently discussing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think they found their own center of gravity the way most do. Mutual attraction.

The same is true of INGO.

Gab was started as a platform for free speech. Because it was a startup, not mainstream, and accused of being a far right site before they could even get started, that's what caused it. The best Gab could have done was to create some rules of common decency. Free speech isn't absolute in society, and if Gab was going to be an accepted societal social media platform, they should have adopted some better rules so that the bad actors didn't chase away everyone else. It should become a lesson to other service providers who attempt to gain entry into that space. When you start, you can't let it become somewhere that the kinds of people you want there don't want to be a part of.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Both you and Mike have commented in a similar manner, yet you appeal to your own authority when the facts suggest otherwise.

I owe no explanation for taking a hardline with some of INGO's hardliners. You'll find I rarely do that with other than the usual suspects. Chasing off those that disagree with you renders this site no better than the one we are presently discussing.

Which facts? Who is chasing anyone off? Do you think you're being chased off?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom