• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Biden's campaign has called a lid until Thursday. What are the chances they are trying to circle the wagon, and come up with a counter narrative to the Hunter laptop story? If so, I expect a teary family press conference, with Hunter admitting to his substance abuse challenges, and going into rehab, to try and garner sympathy and distract from the emails.

Feel free to be teary-eyed Hunter. Drug use can cause a lot of problems, but influence peddling is not among them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    micro-blogging...doesn't sound like a monopoly. Sounds like a boutique form of newsiness.

This came to mind this morning as I read a book review on the topic. The author explains how GAB was created as an alternative to Twitter and FB Messenger. Apple banned it from App Store, Google banned it from Google Play Store. (Did not appear in my search of Apple Then the cloud hosting provider, domain registar, payments processor, all dropped the company. Why, they had content that "violated the companies community standards". The services they need to put out the competitor are banning them, from existing and competing, using identical techniques that FB and Twitter themselves use to silence individual voices.

Hopefully this will raise your awareness of what is going on and you can see the anticompetitive behavior big tech is exhibiting. Nearly 50%, and rising, of people get their news from social media.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    There is no doubt that Apple (at least) engages in unfair practices. It's one of the reasons I'll never use Apple Music. But that is different than controlling the news marketplace.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There is no doubt that Apple (at least) engages in unfair practices. It's one of the reasons I'll never use Apple Music. But that is different than controlling the news marketplace.

Apple and Google colluded to de-platform an App that intended to be a competitor to Twitter. It isn't a matter of "unfair business practices", because as far as I know, Apple doesn't have a player in the social media space, or a competitor in the political discourse market. (And it is unquestioned that Gab was de-platformed for political/ideological reasons, under specious claims of violating the App stores' TOS.)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Apple and Google colluded to de-platform an App that intended to be a competitor to Twitter. It isn't a matter of "unfair business practices", because as far as I know, Apple doesn't have a player in the social media space, or a competitor in the political discourse market. (And it is unquestioned that Gab was de-platformed for political/ideological reasons, under specious claims of violating the App stores' TOS.)

Gab is an English-language social networking service known for its far-right userbase.[8] The site has been widely described as a safe haven for extremists including neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and the alt-right.[9][10] It has attracted far-right and alt-right users and groups who have been banned from other social networks.[20] Gab claims to stand for free speech and individual liberty, though these claims have been criticized as being a shield for its alt-right ecosystem.[21][18][22] Antisemitism is a prominent part of the site's content, and the company itself has engaged in antisemitic commentary on Twitter.[24][25][26] Researchers have written that Gab is "known to be hateful".[27]

I probably would have told them to **** off too.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I probably would have told them to **** off too.
    If that’s true, then yes I agree, they can **** off. My only issue is everyone is labeled white supremacists now days. Hell, even the proud boys are labeled white supremacists. Imo, until it’s proven they’re white supremacists, they shouldn’t be labeled anything or banned from anything. Once they post or out themselves in someway as white supremacists, then of course it’s fair game.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    If that’s true, then yes I agree, they can **** off. My only issue is everyone is labeled white supremacists now days. Hell, even the proud boys are labeled white supremacists. Imo, until it’s proven they’re white supremacists, they shouldn’t be labeled anything or banned from anything. Once they post or out themselves in someway as white supremacists, then of course it’s fair game.

Unfortunately, the left seems to be intent on making the words "White Supremacists" as meaningless as the word "racist."

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    There's quite a bit of info on Gab on the net. Even when queries are on sites other that Googlefu. These are bad actors.

White supremacist is a bad label. Most of these organizations only promote their views. If the world was only white supremacists, they still wouldn't get along because they hate the other groups almost as much as they hate poc.

Think rival cliques of 8 th grade girls.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

You are failing here, everyone should have their free speech in the public square, no matter how repugnant the views. Twitter has become the public square. As long as the speech is not ruled by a court to be defamatory or otherwise illegal, in other words you can legally yell it in the town square it should be allowed on the virtual public square.

These social media companies wanted to be "the place" for social contact, be careful what you wish for, it might not turn out like you planned. These companies have succeeded at levels they now are public utilities not a private company and therefore anything legal can be said.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    These social media companies wanted to be "the place" for social contact, be careful what you wish for, it might not turn out like you planned. These companies have succeeded at levels they now are public utilities not a private company and therefore anything legal can be said.

More than that, they advertised themselves that way. Then when they have network effect and a lot of content that others have invested in, they started changing their terms. It was a bait and switch.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If Oregon is as bad as has been reported, it sounds like they didn't bother to read the trade magazine.

And if you were issuing a blunt backhand, I see nothing other than your opinion of what isn't possible. I've worked with many of your ilk.

That's because being imperious and condescending has narrowed your focus

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    That's because being imperious and condescending has narrowed your focus

qMuWBUi.png

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The answer is "or what". They might be able to curb some aspects of it,but there is no way to stop it.

To indulge in a little fantasy, accuse Dorsey, Pichai and Zuckerberg of treasonous election interference, raid the headquarters, take them off to some federal pen in flyover country and shut down social media until we investigate - basically treat them like a conservatives account on their platforms

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Biden's campaign has called a lid until Thursday. What are the chances they are trying to circle the wagon, and come up with a counter narrative to the Hunter laptop story? If so, I expect a teary family press conference, with Hunter admitting to his substance abuse challenges, and going into rehab, to try and garner sympathy and distract from the emails.

I don't see that, because they absolutely don't want to have to talk about even the tiniest aspect of the scandal. I doubt Joe's handlers would be willing to trust Hunter not to **** that up, also

I see them letting their surrogates (90% of the media, unfettered leftist voices on twitter and FB etc) carry the torch while Joe continues to stonewall. Safer that way, because they likely can't count on Bidenheimer not to **** things up, either

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom