The 2017 General Salma Hayek discussion thread...Part 3!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Actaeon
    You are “special” the Navy even made sure before they let you loose in a Submarine!
    I spent about 48 hours or so on the USS Tecumseh way back in 1989 it was scary.
    Every noise I thought we were going to die no sleep possible I was young and still worried about living.
    I am sure that thing is scrapped by now it was in rough shape and old back then the ice cream machine spit out metal shavings the one of the toilets backed up ect.
    I truly respect your service

and when I retired I had a total of 9 sea pay days!

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The Navy always had great skippers.

CaptainQueeg-660x330.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Actaeon
    You are “special” the Navy even made sure before they let you loose in a Submarine!
    I spent about 48 hours or so on the USS Tecumseh way back in 1989 it was scary.
    Every noise I thought we were going to die no sleep possible I was young and still worried about living.
    I am sure that thing is scrapped by now it was in rough shape and old back then the ice cream machine spit out metal shavings the one of the toilets backed up ect.
    I truly respect your service

and when I retired I had a total of 9 sea pay days!

I had about 1,289. So were pretty close. :)

What did you do for 9 days on a sub?

And the Tecumseh and the Marshall were both from the same era. Similar launch and decom dates. Both were part of the "41 for freedom".

The noises tell you a story. You just have to learn the language. When the blowers quit, it can wake you from a dead sleep. The groans from depth change, you can ignore. The groans sound different though when you approach crush depth and can make the heart of an old salt skip a beat. Each piece of machinery sings a tune. Learn it, or die.
    I've dealt with fire, flooding, high radiation, hydraulic loss, electical arc flash, and others. To this day, I go after fire with the fever of a zealot.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Mutiny on the Bounty reimagined, "Caine" is probably the best remake....

Is it a remake? Or just a movie that's based on mutiny?

Good movie, but what I remember most was Jose Ferrer's character Barney Greenwald's speech at the party after the hearing.

That was pretty good. The Captain made things real difficult and unbearable. But.. had he received the support of his officers..

The Navy always had great skippers.

CaptainQueeg-660x330.jpg

Okay. SEA STORY. Skip if you want.

It is true, the Captain can set the mood. I could equate my 1st Captain with this one. He constantly yelled and screamed at people, so everyone ignored him. Also, didn't do so well tactically. In exercises with "exercise shots" (exercise shot have the explosives replaced with an electronics package to determine hits and for recovery to reuse torpedo) I think we fired our full complement of torpedoes (we were an ex-boomer, so not that many) and I think we had something like a 10-20 percent kill ratio. Not that good for a million dollar super smart torpedo that can hunt targets on it's own. Everything was someone else's fault. The torpedo, the tracking party, the XO, the target... everyone else

My second Captain on the other hand, complete 180. He was quiet and made you think of a professor. I thought, "THIS guy is in charge of a WARSHIP?" Over the next several months it became, "THIS guy IS in charge of a warship." Our tactical exercises went up to something like 90 percent, and the miss WAS due to an exercise shot problem. Torpedoes are designed as a ONE use item. After all, why design it to be robust, when it's going to travel so many yards and detonate. So our runaway decided it wanted to make a circle and kill us. But our new Capt. had determined a problem right away, and got us out of the way. Even with no explosives, a torpedo runs many miles per hour, and weighs tons. In fact, we once sank a rescue ship that was used as our target when the Exercise Shot failed to "shoot the target electronically", stop propulsion, and surface. Instead it rammed through the hull and sank the trawler. That crew was "not happy" with us.
    He first proved his "cool" when we played "cat and mouse" with a US Carrier (either Midway or Coral Sea, I can't remember). I was in Engineering, but a watchstander on the Tracking Party told me of this. Sonar reported the close in area was clear, the battle group had moved away. We came up to Periscope Depth, the Old Man said "Down Periscope. Emergency Deep. Rig for Collision." But he said it in a calm, cool, collected voice. So, everyone thought he was just practicing, or seeing how we respond. Just a note. Emergency Deep doesn't mean you jam the planes down. You'll pop the propeller out of the water, and you use that to drive you down, so you need to keep it in the water. So you limit your down angle and speed, and as your depth changes, so does your speed and angle. And you're allowed to "cavitate". So we're clawing for the depths, when we heard a noise we've never heard before. It's the deep "woosh woosh" of several huge ass'd propellers going over our head. It was so loud, I heard it in Engineering with my own ears, no Sonar needed. Everyone was waiting for the Capt. to deliver a blistering tirade. Instead he said something like, "Have doc report to Sonar to clean some ears out". At that range Sonar should have been able to ear someone on the Carrier farting. Right then, we knew we had a "cool customer". Submariners like quiet gray types more that flashy flamboyant types.

Anyway, if you are attacking a Russian convoy, you have a limited amount of torpedoes (because we weren't really an Attack Boat), and you're probably going to die when they retaliate, who would you want? The crybaby that can't hit anything, or the man that can keep the battle chart in his head, maneuver and hit about every target aimed at, shows a flair for evasion, and keeps it cool the entire time?
    Dying for something is better than dying for nothing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's still great when you have the time to share a little bit!

A little bit of "thread jacking" though.
    I had a pretty good story about my time when Desert Shield/Storm happened when someone brought up 9/11.
    Actually posted.
    But then, I figured it wasn't about 9/11, and it would be a thread jack of a thread jack.
    So I deleted it.
    I shoulda started up my "Tales from the deep" or "Davey Jones Locker" thread, and posted it there. I think I'd have a pretty good story. No exciting firefight or dogfight story. Just a story from a life that few have seen, and Hollywood can not seem to tell right. Though the closest I've seen for WWII was the non-Hollywood "Das Boot".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's still great when you have the time to share a little bit!

... Just a story from a life that few have seen, and Hollywood can not seem to tell right..

Just an example.
    During my day, I think there was around 100 active submarines in two classes (attack and boomer). Attacks had an average of around 90 (older boats had less, newer boats had more) and only one crew. Boomers had two crews, blue and gold, each around 100.
    Presently, there are approx. 52 attack boats, average crew 130. And approx. 14 boomers, each has 2 crews, approx. 140 each.
    So (52*130)+(14*2*140)
    (6,700)+(3,900)
    10,600 submariners active duty, on a sea going command.

Then, you'll have shore duty personnel, most rates spend a 5-2 rotation. 5 years sea duty then 2 years shore duty (approx.).
    5/7x=10,600
    x=(7/5)*10,600
    x= 14,840

So, the total number of active duty submariners is approx. 14,840. Out of the entire country.

For comparison to the 10,600 submariners on a seagoing command, an aircraft carrier crew is approx 5,700 (aircrew and ship crew).
    There are something like 11 active carriers (not including LHAs)
    5,700*11=

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    “But you know the saddest thing, because I’m the President of the United States I am not supposed to be involved with the Justice Department. I am not supposed to be involved with the FBI." “I’m not supposed to be doing the kinds of things I would love to be doing and I’m very frustrated by it.”
    Trump Is 'Frustrated' He Can't | The Daily Caller

Dictators, tyrants, and despots have this power.
    A president can set policy, but he shouldn't have the ability to involve himself in specific investigations. That's not a power I would trust with any president.

Placeholder: Prove it

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ...and Jeff Sessions, who I think is trying to do the right thing, and protect the office of the WH, looks like he's going to get burned for having more "loyalty" than he should.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom