The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh. So it takes specific lies to be on the dark side?

If you like your healthcare plan, you can keep your healthcare plan. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

Trump blathering on about crowd size hurt zero people. In fact, most of his lying is of little consequence, other than it chaps soft asses, and gives the media something to talk about for awhile. I'm not saying it's of no consequence, after all, our standing in the world does matter. But our standing wasn't all that grand for the previous 8 years of apology tours and unenforced red lines, and Obama pissing down his leg. His M.E. policy amounted to running out the clock.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jamil again.
    philistines

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I haven't been all that interested in the details of the "dossier". However, tonight there was an item in the news that mentioned an indictment of (?) has been issued, and a xref to the "dossier" yielded this:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensing...es-to-russia?utm_term=.dhl0oaA3yr#.hwjpVE4mbd

Apparently, it has been available for those who wanted to look for it. I didn't. And after reading it, I'm going to go take a shower and Lysol my keyboard.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It isn't terribly difficult to discern. You see, in the feudal systems of the Middle Ages, serfs owed allegiance to their lord. Kinda like "I pledge allegiance..." They also had to pay property taxes, umm rent, to that lord for being allowed to stay on the land. No matter if they built the house, tilled the land, dug the well; the land was his, and they were reminded of that when property taxes came due. But in addition to that, they paid him a sizable portion of their produce as a kind of income tax as well.

Now you might say "I have the deed to my land, it's mine, darn it." Sure. Stop paying your property taxes and see who really owns it. You might think you've earned your paycheck fair and square. But the lord has first rights to that money. He will take his portion first, and then some if you let him (interest free). Don't want to pay? No problem, debtor's prison has a nice warm cell for you.

Little about our tax system is functionally different from 12th century England.

I don’t like property taxes either. But I asked why you think income tax is feudalism. Then you explained why property tax is feudalism.

Well since i’ll Be paying my property taxes again here soon neither do I. It’s never been pleasant but it’s always been much worse ever since the mortgage was paid off and I actually write the check directly. But here again some services have to be paid for by some means and some method so what do you recommend taking it’s place?

I am going to offer a different perspective. First, I have a problem with being taxed to keep something already paid for and taxed at the time of sale with money which itself had already been taxed as a matter of principle. Beyond this, I see it as categorically wrong to threaten someone with the loss of the single biggest thing he spend his life working for in the event he falls on hard times. I do, however, support the income tax (only) if for no better reason if 10% of one's increase is good enough for God, it should be good enough for the .gov, and it does not threaten any previously acquired wealth. Your mileage may vary.

Don't worry, someone will be along to explain that one away. The Trumpists are an indefatigable lot.

I don't see it as so much an issue of explaining away as not really giving a damn. So far, Trump has been pretty good at policing things like this himself. Tom Price was mentioned earlier. Beyond that, it smacks of being yet another example of the media screaming up a lung over Trump when they would not be nearly so distressed about any swamp creature, especially a D type swamp creature doing the same or worse. If in doubt, let me remind you that the media were far more distressed over some vulgar locker room speak from Trump than they were about Billy Jeff actually doing such things. It leaves me looking back at them telling them to go do something anatomically impossible.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Not to put that burden on property owner is my preference. I'd rather have a sales tax increase, or perhaps local income tax increases to cover those services and eliminate all property taxes. I'm not about to call it feudalism, but I do agree with Woobie that it amounts to leasing your property from the government.

If I'm right property tax usually goes to pay for local services such as schools but fire and police. All of which have more to do with where your property is located so associating this to your property actually makes sense. Sales Tax typically goes to the state and not local services.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    One of the better benefits in Indiana is that property taxes are waived for disabled veterans. I don't know if there is a cap, however.

Also Indiana will pay for a disabled vets dependants college education. Up to 4yrs and it doesn’t include room and board or books. Basically that comes out to about half the bill if going to a school away from home. Basically it has to be to a public nd not private school. There are different levels of disability which determine exactly what you qualify for starting at 0%.

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was watching this earlier. I stood (actually sat) amazed at how long they could spend finding so many ways to tell us that they don't know a damn thing other that someone (anyone's guess who or how many) is going to get rolled up pretty soon.

I shall laugh my big butt off if it turns out to be someone from the Clinton side.

Yes, folks, there is a chance. Here it is for your reading pleasure: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ting-democratic-lobbyist-tony-podesta-n812776

Who'da thunk...?

Regards,

Doug

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I'm right property tax usually goes to pay for local services such as schools but fire and police. All of which have more to do with where your property is located so associating this to your property actually makes sense. Sales Tax typically goes to the state and not local services.
    Locations can charge sales taxes and income taxes. I pay Louisville non-resident income tax, plus JTown’s income tax. Plus, I pay Floyd Co tax in Indiana.

And then, on top of that I pay property tax, which, by the way I’m going to pay the fall installment of my “lease” online today with income that has been taxed by three different local governments, state, and federal entities. THAT’S ****ED UP!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't you get credit on your Indiana income tax for any tax paid to KY?
    I don’t get all of it back. Bet what I do get back I’d prefer not to loan out for a year at zero interest. I shouldn’t have to pay local income tax at all if I’m not represented by anyone in that location. Also, I don’t benefit from their services, at least not to an extent beyond what I spend there.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So YOU'RE the reason I have to pay a toll on the fancy bridge down there. Every day driving back and forth :):

But ain’t it purdy?

Nah, the real reason is the upity historical society’s zealotry. There’s a historical mansion setting in the way of where the proposed East end corridor would go. The bridges commission offered to move the house. Nope. All or nothing. So they decided to tunnel under the house. That nearly doubled the cost of the whole project.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    But ain’t it purdy?

Nah, the real reason is the upity historical society’s zealotry. There’s a historical mansion setting in the way of where the proposed East end corridor would go. The bridges commission offered to move the house. Nope. All or nothing. So they decided to tunnel under the house. That nearly doubled the cost of the whole project.

Only government. On a river that is hundreds of miles long, the only place they could put a bridge was over/under/through that particular house?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Only government. On a river that is hundreds of miles long, the only place they could put a bridge was over/under/through that particular house?
    That was the least populated route. It’s a bypass that was to connect across a bridge to the rest of it in Indiana.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That was the least populated route. It’s a bypass that was to connect across a bridge to the rest of it in Indiana.

I assume this is the bridge at the east end of the Louisville/Jeffersonville loop near the port facility and not the new bridge in parallel with the old one on 65.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom