The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Income tax is feudalism. Get rid of it and all forms of property tax. Fund the government with consumption taxes. They only affect people in proportion to what they spend.

Comparing to feudalism has happened enough that I can't let that go. I think we're due an explanation for exactly how it is feudalism.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    A P P L E spells Apple.

Some will scream that A P P L E spells Bannana.

No matter how many people yell Bannana.

No matter how many people claim alternative facts.

Facts really do matter and A P P L E really does spell APPLE.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Haven't seen much spoken about this... but back to Puerto Rico. On the day Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, the Whitefish power restoration company had existed for two years and had two employees... and yet, it was awarded the $300M contract (the largest) to help restore PR's power. Apparently now, it has hundreds of employees in PR now (280), hoping to increase that number to a thousand. Why would such a small company with not much of a history to prove it's competence be awarded such a contract?

Something stinks about this....

The company is based in Whitefish, Montana... which has a population of less than 6500. How in the world did the feds even consider this company, and for what reason would the company even put in a bid? Well, incidentally, the Secretary of the Interior - Ryan Zinke is from Whitefish, MO and happens to know the owner of the, once, small company.

For a place that needs power as desperately as PR, I find it odd that this company - one that almost literally had to start from the ground up to start providing widespread service, got a contract, over other larger, more established, and easier mobilized companies who would have surely been salivating at such a contract. Whitefish comes out a BIG winner on this... the people of PR? Losers again, as the timetable to restore power to the residents of that island surely is going to take longer than it should.

Edit:
    Whitefish was awarded the deal without a competitive bidding process, and despite the facts that it had just two full-time employees and was established only two years ago. That drew criticism from legislators who suggested cheaper options might have been available.
    Puerto Rico, Whitefish Defend $300 Million Power Grid Repair Deal
    A bid wasn't even put in from possible competitors. That's absolutely ridiculous.... certainly swampish.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Haven't seen much spoken about this... but back to Puerto Rico. On the day Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, the Whitefish power restoration company had existed for two years and had two employees... and yet, it was awarded the $300M contract (the largest) to help restore PR's power. Apparently now, it has hundreds of employees in PR now (280), hoping to increase that number to a thousand. Why would such a small company with not much of a history to prove it's competence be awarded such a contract?

The company is based in Whitefish, Montana... which has a population of less than 6500. How in the world did the feds even consider this company, and for what reason would the company even put in a bid? Well, incidentally, the Secretary of the Interior - Ryan Zinke is from Whitefish, MO and happens to know the owner of the, once, small company.

For a place that needs power as desperately as PR, I find it odd that this company - one that almost literally had to start from the ground up to start providing widespread service, got a contract, over other larger, more established, and easier mobilized companies who would have surely been salivating at such a contract. Whitefish comes out a BIG winner on this... the people of PR? Losers again, as the timetable to restore power to the residents of that island surely is going to take longer than it should.

Edit:

A bid wasn't even put in from possible competitors. That's absolutely ridiculous.... certainly swampish.

I agree, that stinks.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Edit:

Certainly is. I'd like to know the reasoning behind that as well, and who was involved in that decision making process.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The PR power grid sucked before and my fear is they will spend a ton of $$$ to restore it to the same level of crap they had before

quite the tweet fest between San Juan mayor and the company

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-puerto-rico-power-20171025-story,amp.html

i will wait for more info. Perhaps the company was formed as a shell waiting for a hurricane to slap the US and then ramp up.

i heard a few years ago that Apple ran ALL of its iTunes purchases through a Nevada company with 8 employees.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Comparing to feudalism has happened enough that I can't let that go. I think we're due an explanation for exactly how it is feudalism.

It isn't terribly difficult to discern. You see, in the feudal systems of the Middle Ages, serfs owed allegiance to their lord. Kinda like "I pledge allegiance..." They also had to pay property taxes, umm rent, to that lord for being allowed to stay on the land. No matter if they built the house, tilled the land, dug the well; the land was his, and they were reminded of that when property taxes came due. But in addition to that, they paid him a sizable portion of their produce as a kind of income tax as well.

Now you might say "I have the deed to my land, it's mine, darn it." Sure. Stop paying your property taxes and see who really owns it. You might think you've earned your paycheck fair and square. But the lord has first rights to that money. He will take his portion first, and then some if you let him (interest free). Don't want to pay? No problem, debtor's prison has a nice warm cell for you.

Little about our tax system is functionally different from 12th century England.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Edit:

I saw a small report on this probably about a couple of weeks ago and nothing since. Your right though it’s a bit weird indeed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom