The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Anything you post on INGO is fair game. Don't act as if you did the same. You went stalker mode and tried to find something from another website that you thought would contradict me. I've said repeatedly, I stand by anything I've posted anywhere, and other posters pointed out that my stance that you pulled from that other site, was consistent with my posts here. Now that I know that stalking is acceptable for those that take "unique" interests in other members, knock yourself out.

As far as the crux of the argument, at hand, you are being completely intellectually dishonest. Jamil explained the differences earlier, between respectful and cordial, and noted that "respect" held a higher ground. Now you're saying respect is different that respectful... and you don't mean one's a noun, and the other an adverb. You are trying to pass off a difference in meaning, despite the fact that the definition you provided (and linked) indicated that "respectful" means "marked by showing respect or deference." Deference, look that one up.
    I get you don't want to be wrong, least of all to me, right? But geez, how can you post a definition that plainly contradicts you, and then say it doesn't say what it says?

I've never said that anything posted on INGO (or anywhere else for that matter) wasn't fair game. And while I wouldn't call it stalker mode, I don't believe I did that with you, although I could be mistaken. A quick google search is far far from "stalker mode" at least IMO.

And once again no intellectual or any other kind of dishonesty. Jamil posted the definition of respect, I posted the definition of respectful. And no need for me to look up deference, I know what it means. Although perhaps you should look up the definition of "or" and perhaps "showing". And yes having respect for someone is different than being respectful. And respectful is a adjective, not an adverb. And I have no problem with admitting I'm wrong, although it seems others may.

No. Definitions matter. Every stranger I meet is entitled to being treated cordially, with polite treatment. That's not the same thing as respect. If you want me to respect or disrespect you, either way, that has to be earned.

Respect: verb admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

How can I have any basis to respect you when I don't know anything about your abilities, qualities, or achievements? How can I have any basis to disrespect you without any knowledge of your character?

That's fair. Respect is narrowly defined enough to exclude most people one encounters in a lifetime.

If you want to say "respect" means treating people like you want to be treated, then I would agree that strangers get that benefit of the doubt until they've earned my disrespect. But I'm going by the dictionary meaning.

I think when people don't think about it, they often conflate "respectful" and "polite", because both behaviors look similar. But I think the distinction is worth making because they're not the same thing. Making them the same thing dilutes the meaning of the few truly respect-worthy people.

And something related, we often hear respect the position, not necessarily the person. That has a meaning too. That because you respect the position, you have to behave a different way to the person in the position than you would if the person didn't have the position. Maybe you know the person is an ******* and you don't respect the person. But because he outranks you don't treat him with the disrespect he's earned as a person.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've never said that anything posted on INGO (or anywhere else for that matter) wasn't fair game. And while I wouldn't call it stalker mode, I don't believe I did that with you, although I could be mistaken. A quick google search is far far from "stalker mode" at least IMO.

And once again no intellectual or any other kind of dishonesty. Jamil posted the definition of respect, I posted the definition of respectful. And no need for me to look up deference, I know what it means. Although perhaps you should look up the definition of "or" and perhaps "showing". And yes having respect for someone is different than being respectful. And respectful is a adjective, not an adverb. And I have no problem with admitting I'm wrong, although it seems others may.

I led you to water. Your choice if you choose to drink.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's completely dishonest. You either haven't been following the original discussion between Jamil and I (and not reading your own links), or you're being dishonest. There's no third option.
    Why assume it's dishonest? Fan you think of no other causes?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    White House adviser Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump's son-in-law, has used a private email account to communicate with White House staffers, his attorney told ABC News.

"Mr. Kushner uses his White House email address to conduct White House business. Fewer than a hundred emails from January through August were either sent to or returned by Mr. Kushner to colleagues in the White House from his personal email account," Kushner attorney Abbe Lowell said in a statement.
    Kushner used personal account to email White House officials | abc7chicago.com

Surely, he'd have been aware of the Clinton fiasco with her using unsanctioned methods of communication for official duties, and he pulls this stunt?
    Lock him up?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I do not think that you blindly love Obama, Kut, however can you please list the top ten reasons you highly respect him.

If that's how we are defining respect, then can we agree that it is outside the bounds of how it is commonly used, and how it was meant within the context of this conversation? And so forth, I can say that I respect very, very, very few people.

No. Absolutelly not.

I was dedinitely was talking of admiration. No one has ever told me what Obamas achievementa are. just wondering.

I was taken aback when you said you respect Trump. In your words basically to be polite, would that include his wife?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. Hbsolutelly not.

I was dedinitely was talking of admiration. No one has ever told me what Obamas achievementa are. just wondering.

I was taken aback when you said you respect Trump. In your words basically to be polite, would that include his wife?

If you were asking why I admired Obama, with the implication that I did, then you haven't been exceedingly inattentive. So much so, in fact, that I see no reason even to answer the question posed because you aren't paying attention, rendering my words meaningless to reflection.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No dishonesty, although you can believe what you wish. But I'm having a hard time believing that you don't know/can't understand the difference between showing respect and respecting
    someone.

I agree. Anyone who has had an idiot above him in his chain of command (which is virtually everyone) knows the difference and has lived it

Showing respect can be kabuki, respecting someone comes from the heart

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Kabuki?

My grandmother used to make Kabuki. Old Country recipe.

2968dd80fccea9b53a2cdbeddebf9aa1.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't know. Did he share classified information?

Is Comey investigating?

No idea, but if I was a betting man, yes. I have no idea what information he shared, but given some of the allegations against him... it doesn't look good. But he's solid. No way Trump wouldn't pardon him.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No idea, but if I was a betting man, yes. I have no idea what information he shared, but given some of the allegations against him... it doesn't look good. But he's solid. No way Trump wouldn't pardon him.
    The article says what information was shared. Media will need to fabricate some bigger whoppers to make this anywhere near what Hillary did. But they can be imaginitive. The Russia/Trump/**** fetish thing was creative. Not at all believable but creative.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The article says what information was shared. Media will need to fabricate some bigger whoppers to make this anywhere near what Hillary did. But they can be imaginitive. The Russia/Trump/**** fetish thing was creative. Not at all believable but creative.

And who didn't believe that Jamil? :stickpoke:

Kut (is testing your memory)

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    So he used a private server to send mainly news articles and any work related emails have been preserved. Completely like the Clinton's private server through which classified data was sent, that official emails were deleted, bleachbit was used to remove the data before the FBI could investigate, and Blackberrys that sent data through the server were smashed with a hammer.

How could anyone see any distinction between the two cases?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So he used a private server to send mainly news articles and any work related emails have been preserved. Completely like the Clinton's private server through which classified data was sent, that official emails were deleted, bleachbit was used to remove the data before the FBI could investigate, and Blackberrys that sent data through the server were smashed with a hammer.

How could anyone see any distinction between the two cases?

Where is this nugget of information coming from, and is it reliable?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom