• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm saying morality is ever shifting and Christian morals have as well. I'm saying they shift in a sort of unison but that we shouldn't pretend Christianity has historically had morality down pat.

As for the old testament, were gods people behaving immoraly back then or has God's morality shifted with the ages?

If you look at Christian values of the early church you find something similar to Sharia in treatment of non believers. If there's an objective truth and one true religion I would hope it's values and morals wouldn't be contingent on which period of time you happen to live.

Yet you are advocating for just such a moral code, updated and adjusted to suit these times

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I forget the verse in which God said," these are the morals to live by, but I understand it's tough out there, kill kids and take slaves"

Perhaps Romans 3:23-26
    23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
    24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
    26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I never claimed the early church had a sharia like document, I said the early church killed non believers and God commanded non believers be killed in the old testament.

you said

If you look at Christian values of the early church you find something similar to Sharia in treatment of non believers. If there's an objective truth and one true religion I would hope it's values and morals wouldn't be contingent on which period of time you happen to live.

I asked for proof of that statement and you appealed to the OT which was written well before the early church period.

Sharia is a document that applies to all Muslims with out exception. It too is subject to interpretation but it applies to all Muslims and governs Muslim interaction with Non Muslims.

You want to claim that the Christian values of the early church are similar to Sharia in treatment of non believers.

I am asking you to prove that statement. and that statement alone.

You cited the OT as proof. The OT is also a document. A document that was not written in the early Church period. That does not support your statement. Strictly speaking neither was the NT.

You can go off on all the tangents you chose, but until you offer evidence that supports your statement, I am simply asking you to withdraw the assertion.

If you can't show me any documentation that the leadership of the early Church resembles anything like Sharia law then why should I take you at your word?

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    "If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." -- Dt.13:6-10

Good one that I did not remember, but falls under the same context as my example of the Jews stoning the other Jew for picking up sticks on the sabbath. That isn't illustrating Christians interacting with nonbelievers, or even Jews with non-Jews. That above is a rule regarding how you are supposed to act as a member of ancient Jewish society. Anyone who did not believe in their God was free to go live with other non-Jews. The people living within that society had a tough moral code to live by, no leeway to get away with deliberate sin there.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In other news - you know, the news about the election:
    IA - looks like a tie game
    NC/SC- Trump is making it close there, within the MOE
    OH - HRC still leading by just over the MOE

So, could be positive developments; will be interesting to see how FL polling looks this week.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    In other news - you know, the news about the election:
    IA - looks like a tie game
    NC/SC- Trump is making it close there, within the MOE
    OH - HRC still leading by just over the MOE

So, could be positive developments; will be interesting to see how FL polling looks this week.

Does this mean you see a Trump Presidency as a positive?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hillary Clinton today announced an $80m ad buy in key states (Florida, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Iowa, Nevada, Ohio, North Carolina and the Omaha market in Nebraska). Donald Trump is tweeting about the personal lives of morning cable television hosts that criticized him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Does this mean you see a Trump Presidency as a positive?

In a Freudian, subconscious way, maybe. Probably. In the, hope-springs-eternal kind of way.

I meant it more positive for Trump.

I hope a Trump presidency is better than an HRC presidency.

I hope I hit the lottery some day.

But, because of the long odds, I'm probably not going to buy a lottery ticket today. Coincidentally, because of the long odds, I'm probably not going to vote for Trump, too. :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It is an LA Times poll. (LA Times mobile website sucks by the way)

I could have linked to Brietbart, but apparently they are just the propaganda wing of the Trump campaign.

I would've been ok with Brietbart. But I guess now that I know it's the LA Times, it's all good.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    LA Times has a running daily poll, with mathematical "normalizing," that puts Trump barely in the lead, too. In national polls, I wouldn't be surprised if it stays within the MOE. That's safest for the polling company.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    RTT News??? Got a better source, from someone a bit more reputable?

You consider the more traditional alternatives more reputable? So far as I can tell, internet gossip is internet gossip. You get your choices between the traditional sources who are all in with the left, Russkies with an agenda, conservatism represented with the web version of talk radio, and an assortment of news aggregators and generators of their own stories as they prefer to tell them. In the end, the closest to actual news reporting I can find it to take the sum total of everything available on any particular news item and average the reported accounts in the hope of getting something which reasonably resembles what actually happened.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom