That didn't last long. ABC Cancels Roseanne after tweet about Obama aid.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    An apology.....I am trying to be consistent....

Well here's TBS's hilarious apology (ironic, given the tweet it's following)

DejIum8VMAAbWw8.jpg:small

And here's Sam's

I would like to sincerely apologize to Ivanka Trump and to my viewers for using an expletive on my show to describe her last night. It was inappropriate and inexcusable. I crossed a line, and I deeply regret it.

https://twitter.com/iamsambee/status/1002252496532856832

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    436 posts....

....Hate to say it, boys, but if these were all by a new member, you wouldn't get a pass into the classifieds at this point.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You know, I hadn't considered the idea that it was scripted.

If so, then more people should be fired. Up and down that chain of decisionmaking.

If it wasn't, then just her.

Oh, and to be clear, this has nothing to do with the Roseanne cancellation issue. I really do see these as 2 separate kinds of things.

Also to be clear, "c" word usage can be excusable/appropriate in the context of a scripted dramatic work or a documentary, IMHO. But, the usage should be as a signal about the character of the character saying it. I just don't see how a monologue for TV is the appropriate context.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think people are burying the lede on this.

What percentage of Americans actually know what "feckless" means? WAY more people know the "c" word.

And yeah, I think some care needs to be taken in terms of equating people who say offensive words. POTUS can use ... colorful... language, too.

What percentage of Americans use the lingo 'lede'? ;)

Make no mistake: if I were the boss of the "c" word lady, I'd fire her. That's not appropriate in any business setting. But there's a difference IMHO to using offensive language and revealing offensive character. Roseanne is in the latter. I'm not sure about the "c" word lady's character.

I am - she is offensive and I'll prefer she'd be fired. But that's TBS's call, and I don't have cable...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mostly referring to the loud twitter conservatives screaming about "DOUBLE STANDARD" and saying she should be fired for it.

If you're asking what I would have done, I wouldn't have canceled Roseanne's show. She said something pretty bad, and I can see maybe putting some financial penalty on her, but I'm not going to take one stupid tweet and affect all those people's jobs.

Comparing the characters between racist tweeters and people who call the President's daughter a ****, exemplifies one of the core things going wrong with societal discourse. They're both hateful. I don't think ether makes one person's character measurably different from the other. If that's what the conservatives are saying, and I'm doubtful that it is what they're saying, but if it is. They're right.

Let's try to gain a perspective where we value talking about the problems more than shouting about the problems. Maybe then we'd have fewer racist tweets and we'd see fewer people thinking that it's okay to call the president's daughter a ****. <irony>Unless it's Chelsea Clinton. That **** is evil.</irony>

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Fire Sam Bee?

Dear Goodness, NO! Have her keep talking. Mother of Pearl, get her a special,promote the heck out of it. Give that woman a bigger megaphone!

That is a really good take on it. I agree. Never interrupt your enemy when they are destroying themselves.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To the extent that society has accepted Roseanne's apology, society should accept Samantha Bee's.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To the extent that society has accepted Roseanne's apology, society should accept Samantha Bee's.

Ehhhh... They're definitely different situations. There are some apologies I'll accept, and some I won't. Apologies are just fake obligations these days, anyway. Something you "gotta do" to move on.

Having had time to look at the Roseanne situation with more detail... I do accept her apology, but this isn't the first time she's used the "ape" insult against a black woman. One time is a fluke... two times is unfortunate... three times is an ingrained habit. She gets one more slip-up with me. It was also said on a personal level, not rehearsed, not written, and ... fine... with an addled state-of-mind.

Samantha Bee is young. She has a history of saying hateful things to her political opposites. She's also a shock-jock, so this sort of thing is her business. She didn't "slip up"... she's just apologizing because she didn't get the desired response from society. (That, and admittedly, "conservatives" do have a little more room to fire back at her with the Roseanne thing.) If the Roseanne thing never happened, I doubt we'd be talking about the Samantha Bee thing.

If someone with no history of being a **** slips up and says something crude... sure, accept that one.

If someone with a history of being a vapid **** does ****-ish things and, whoops, steps over some invisible line... nah. I'll acknowledge you did the normal apology thing, but I don't really see a reason to accept it. You knew what you were doing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ehhhh... They're definitely different situations. There are some apologies I'll accept, and some I won't. Apologies are just fake obligations these days, anyway. Something you "gotta do" to move on.

Having had time to look at the Roseanne situation with more detail... I do accept her apology, but this isn't the first time she's used the "ape" insult against a black woman. One time is a fluke... two times is unfortunate... three times is an ingrained habit. She gets one more slip-up with me. It was also said on a personal level, not rehearsed, not written, and ... fine... with an addled state-of-mind.

Samantha Bee is young. She has a history of saying hateful things to her political opposites. She's also a shock-jock, so this sort of thing is her business. She didn't "slip up"... she's just apologizing because she didn't get the desired response from society. (That, and admittedly, "conservatives" do have a little more room to fire back at her with the Roseanne thing.) If the Roseanne thing never happened, I doubt we'd be talking about the Samantha Bee thing.

If someone with no history of being a **** slips up and says something crude... sure, accept that one.

If someone with a history of being a vapid **** does ****-ish things and, whoops, steps over some invisible line... nah. I'll acknowledge you did the normal apology thing, but I don't really see a reason to accept it. You knew what you were doing.

I'd like to see the sides favoring Bee and Roseanne both make the case to justify their moral differences.

Top Bottom