• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... The corruption unit is investing Perry and Abbott (the heir of the governorship) for illegally giving money to their business buddies. ..

And another talking point bites the dust:

January 2013: Lehmberg tells the American-Statesman that the 11 members of the CPRIT board – all of whom were appointed by Perry – “are not under suspicion in the investigation.” That means the investigation is focusing only on CPRIT staff members, none of whom were appointed or hired by Perry.

January 2014: CPRIT commercialization chief Jerry Cobbs is indicted. Cobbs’ indictment alleges that he misled former CPRIT executives by failing to disclose that the Peloton Therapeutics grant application hadn’t been reviewed as required by law. Lehmberg says no other indictments are expected.
    Gov. Rick Perry indicted: CPRIT angle | www.mystatesman.com

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The Dems desperately want Texas and eliminating political adversaries, ethically or otherwise, legally or otherwise, is how the Dems do business.

Does anyone really not understand what's going on?

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Actually, it's going pretty much as I figured it would, given the makeup of INGO and their love of the gop.

The charge of abusing his power is stating he was going to veto something before he actually veto'd it. Think about that, he has the right to use his veto for whatever reason he chooses. There is no laws preventing this.

Look at the who is prosecuting him. The states "Public Integrity Unit" which has the attorney he is trying to force out. Somehow this office has jurisdiction over the entire state while only being voted for by Travis County. That is crazy in my book. It's along the lines of "No taxation with representation." While not being taxed it's very fitting. Anytime the government has power over you and you can not vote them out you have a problem.

I can honestly say i'd feel this way if the parties were reversed. Tell me how do you feel about Ted Kennedy?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The charge of abusing his power is stating he was going to veto something before he actually veto'd it. Think about that, he has the right to use his veto for whatever reason he chooses. There is no laws preventing this.

Look at the who is prosecuting him. The states "Public Integrity Unit" which has the attorney he is trying to force out. Somehow this office has jurisdiction over the entire state while only being voted for by Travis County. That is crazy in my book. It's along the lines of "No taxation with representation." While not being taxed it's very fitting. Anytime the government has power over you and you can not vote them out you have a problem.

I can honestly say i'd feel this way if the parties were reversed. Tell me how do you feel about Ted Kennedy?

it's an abuse of power if he did it for retribution or to stifle an investigation of wrongdoing. But at this point it's just an accusation, and probably one that was politically motivated.

No one seems to notice when the Kenyan announces he will veto a bill in advance of it reaching his desk.

But then, there's more to the indictment than the governor threatening to and then vetoing a bill.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

But then, there's more to the indictment than the governor threatening to and then vetoing a bill.

What else is there? Please elaborate.

The indictment has only two counts or charges, one seems to cover the period when the "threat" was made, the other the day he vetoed the funding.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What else is there? Please elaborate.

I already said it. They didn't indict him for threatening to and then vetoing a bill. If his threat and veto were for the purpose of retribution, and/or to thwart an investigation of wrongdoing, that's an abuse of power. I think he's got a good chance to beat it though. I also think if it weren't for politics there'd not have been an indictment.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    They didn't indict him for threatening to and then vetoing a bill. If his threat and veto were for the purpose of retribution, and/or to thwart an investigation of wrongdoing, that's an abuse of power.

Count II of the indictment ( "Coercion of a Public Servant") plainly states that it is for "Beginning on or about June 10, 2013, and continuing through June 14, 2013....threatening to veto legislation that had been approved and authorized by the Legislature of the State of Texas [i.e. "a bill"] to provide funding for the continued operation of the Public Integrity Unit...unless Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg resigned..."

Count I ("Abuse of Official Capacity") is limited to one day, on or about June 14, 2013, the day he vetoed the funding.

(Copy of indictment at bottom of page at this link: Gov. Rick Perry indicted on charges of abuse of power, coercion | Dallas Morning News)

Rick was pretty public about why she needed to resign during early June 2013. The Indictment is clearly referencing this. There is no "investigation of wrong doing" cited, and there is certainly no public record of any ongoing investigation that could be thwarted, especially in that time frame. Political "retribution" is of course built into the system, that's why the Gov has a veto* after the legislature passes a bill. Since there is no indication of any investigation into Rick or anyone he appointed (even Lehmberg herself stated that about the CPRIT project), there's no personal angle.

So again, what else is there? There is improper seeking of retribution and abuse of power here, but it ain't Ricky... :)

*During the first legislature after Rick Perry became Governor upon G.W. Bush's resignation, many in the legislature didn't take him seriously and ignored his input. Upon close of the legislature, Perry vetoed 82 bils - a record in Texas history. Since the legislature can meet on its own only every two years, there was no way for the legislators to override his veto. They were dead. Next legislature people paid more attention to him.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Meanwhile, bathhouse barry continues his travels on Corruption Circle rendered an untouchable by those more concerned with politics than the rule of law.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Count II of the indictment ( "Coercion of a Public Servant") plainly states that it is for "Beginning on or about June 10, 2013, and continuing through June 14, 2013....threatening to veto legislation that had been approved and authorized by the Legislature of the State of Texas [i.e. "a bill"] to provide funding for the continued operation of the Public Integrity Unit...unless Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg resigned..."

Count I ("Abuse of Official Capacity") is limited to one day, on or about June 14, 2013, the day he vetoed the funding.

(Copy of indictment at bottom of page at this link: Gov. Rick Perry indicted on charges of abuse of power, coercion | Dallas Morning News)

Rick was pretty public about why she needed to resign during early June 2013. The Indictment is clearly referencing this. There is no "investigation of wrong doing" cited, and there is certainly no public record of any ongoing investigation that could be thwarted, especially in that time frame. Political "retribution" is of course built into the system, that's why the Gov has a veto* after the legislature passes a bill. Since there is no indication of any investigation into Rick or anyone he appointed (even Lehmberg herself stated that about the CPRIT project), there's no personal angle.

So again, what else is there? There is improper seeking of retribution and abuse of power here, but it ain't Ricky... :)

*During the first legislature after Rick Perry became Governor upon G.W. Bush's resignation, many in the legislature didn't take him seriously and ignored his input. Upon close of the legislature, Perry vetoed 82 bils - a record in Texas history. Since the legislature can meet on its own only every two years, there was no way for the legislators to override his veto. They were dead. Next legislature people paid more attention to him.

Okay then. We agree on what I said. He wasn't indicted for vetoing. That's not illegal. He was indicted for coercion of a public servant and abuse of official capacity. That's all I'm saying.

As I've said. I think it's purely politically motivated. No need to nit. We probably agree on this more than we don't.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The mugshot to launch a Presidential campaign?

I've always liked Perry.

BvcVzLcIYAAnJGp.jpg:large

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    He wasn't indicted for vetoing..

We probably do generally agree, but...Count I, the "Abuse of Official Capacity" is for the veto itself. The nits do count, because most everything negative that's said about Perry wrt this indictment tries to portray him as trying to shut down (non-existent) investigations into him or his friends or some such. It's when you look at the details of the indictment that you realize there's no "there" there -- he was indicted for legally exercising his legal powers. Legally.

New thought:

I am having a hard time figuring out why the main actors in this thought this stunt was a good idea. OK, Lehmberg had amply demonstrated that she has impaired judgment, in more ways than one, and I could see her being humiliated and mad enough to want to strike back at Perry, but McCrum? Does he think his career is in trouble any way, what with not getting stood up for the US Attorney nomination, and the pending ethics/contempt of court problem? In other words, did someone promise these two a soft landing after things quiet down? Will be interesting to see where they are in a year or two.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The mugshot to launch a Presidential campaign?

I've always liked Perry.

BvcVzLcIYAAnJGp.jpg:large
    That makes me laugh, even without the text.

Even funnier than the man who's t-shirt sported his first mug shot.

To be a fly on the wall in the mrjarrell household when (if?) Perry beats this.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That makes me laugh, even without the text.

Even funnier than the man who's t-shirt sported his first mug shot.

To be a fly on the wall in the mrjarrell household when (if?) Perry beats this.

I know, and I understand MrJarell is generally a contrarian... but I don't understand why he would be so hostile toward Perry right off the bat... unless he's simply a very partisan person and against anything GOP/Tea Party-related.

Aside from what the media has manufactured against him, I think Perry has a pretty clean record.

I like to think of Jarell as an equally intellectual person... and not susceptible to what the media feeds us. I like to think he's capable of thinking and forming opinions on his own without the input of the media... but his threads generally tend to lean toward the exact image that the media tries to frame. I'm unsure at times.

Anyway - I could go for an autographed copy of Perry's mugshot. I bet he starts doing that an events... he's got the cojones.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom