• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    While "Indiana" itself may not offer much of a target, you can bet your sweet bippy that there are several EVENTS in Indiana that certainly CAN be targets.

Indy 500
    Brickyard 400
    Mini-Marathon
    MotoGP
    F1 - should it return
    Any Notre Dame football game
    NBA Playoffs game
    Possibly any PU football game...depending on who they're playing
    PGA event @ Crooked Stick
    Super Bowl - should it return
    Indy Air Show - should it run again

As far as Hoosiers being of a different mentality than east coasters / Bostonians - Probably not. People are people are people.

If you were at an event only as a spectator - say waiting for your son to cross the finish line at the Mini-Marathon, and you KNEW he was approaching his anticipated "time", would you (generic "you") really be focused on seeing if someone in the crowd was acting weird? Watching to see if someone put a backpack down and walked away?

"it can happen here" is both A) how "the government" gets you, and B) how the potential terrorists get you, too.

Call me paranoid if you want, but I don't attend these "big" events. Two reasons. One, I don't like big crowds. Two, it makes you a target.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Being from the region, the steel mills have always worried me as a target. Maybe not from a back pack bomber, but nutty leaders of countries that would want to target us. N Korea, Iran, etc.

Actually, the steel mills are a terrible target.
    Unless you're sneaking in an atomic bomb.

The workforce while large, is scattered over a 24 hour day, and 22 square miles.
    The equipment is built pretty tough.
    Most of it outside the immediate blast would be okay.
    I've even seen an entire control room with the controlling PLC burn completely to the ground. Back up in a week.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would think terrorists would want to attack "iconic" or famous areas of the United States. San Francisco, New York, Washington DC. Everyone knows the World Trade Center, but not everyone would know buildings in Indianapolis, for example. The WTC was more to America than just a couple buildings. Indiana doesn't fit the bill there, but lives are definitely lives. I wouldn't say we are immune but I definitely worry about it less here.

edit: To really strike deep at a country, you would want to destroy something of dear value. I know lives are dear but symbols are the blood of the country. In Israel, you wouldn't attack some outlying town, you would attack something major in Jerusalem. In China, you would want Hong Kong. Everyone knows Hong Kong. It's a message: "We can destroy anything, anywhere." I consider the Boston bombings more of an act of idiocy than terrorism, though. :twocents:.

Last edited:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I would think terrorists would want to attack "iconic" or famous areas of the United States. San Francisco, New York, Washington DC. Everyone knows the World Trade Center, but not everyone would know buildings in Indianapolis, for example. The WTC was more to America than just a couple buildings. Indiana doesn't fit the bill there, but lives are definitely lives. I wouldn't say we are immune but I definitely worry about it less here.

This^^^

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Population density! With the exception of the above mentioned public events we just don't have it. Even our "cities" are just not as densely packed with people as most.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

How iconic was the Murray building?

Globally, how iconic is the Indy 500?

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How iconic was the Murray building?

Globally, how iconic is the Indy 500?

Since we are talking about probability of an attack, my argument still stands. Ideally if you wanted to do the most damage to a country, you would destroy an icon. That doesn't mean you will. People intent on blowing something up will, unless caught, find a place to do it. That's why I said I worry about it less here, instead of "I don't worry about it at all." That being said, I feel like it's more likely to happen in Indianapolis than in West Lafayette. That and Timothy McVeigh was motivated by a personal anti-government belief and specifically wanted to bomb a federal building.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Indy 500

The race is the most prestigious event of the IndyCar calendar, and one of the oldest and most important automobile races. It has been considered to be the largest single-day sporting event in the entire world. In addition, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway itself is regarded as the world's largest sporting facility in terms of capacity. The total purse exceeded $13 million in 2011, with over $2.5 million awarded to the winner, making it one of the richest cash prize funds in sports.

People from all over the world attend the 500.:ingo:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not dissing the op but it is exactly this thinking that in my opinion makes us a highly likely target! As Indy Gun Guy said there are a lot of juicy high density targets in central Indiana.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    While "Indiana" itself may not offer much of a target, you can bet your sweet bippy that there are several EVENTS in Indiana that certainly CAN be targets.

Indy 500
    Brickyard 400
    Mini-Marathon
    MotoGP
    F1 - should it return
    Any Notre Dame football game
    NBA Playoffs game
    Possibly any PU football game...depending on who they're playing
    PGA event @ Crooked Stick
    Super Bowl - should it return
    Indy Air Show - should it run again

As far as Hoosiers being of a different mentality than east coasters / Bostonians - Probably not. People are people are people.

If you were at an event only as a spectator - say waiting for your son to cross the finish line at the Mini-Marathon, and you KNEW he was approaching his anticipated "time", would you (generic "you") really be focused on seeing if someone in the crowd was acting weird? Watching to see if someone put a backpack down and walked away?

"it can happen here" is both A) how "the government" gets you, and B) how the potential terrorists get you, too.
    Sure makes you sick to think of what else could be targeted too. Guarantee people will be MORE vigilant and watchful now...anywhere they go.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Sure makes you sick to think of what else could be targeted too. Guarantee people will be MORE vigilant and watchful now...anywhere they go.
    it will be no different than 9-11. people will be watchfully for a month or two then they all go complacent again. it is a vicious cycle that never ends, or at least never will end till the attacks are more frequent. but damn i hope it doesn't come to that point.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Seriously though, do you think our demographics make us less than likely targets?

NOT in my area. PRIME, and 'legitmate' (for the irony contained within that) targets here.

Indy / Indy area has marathons too, does it not? Maybe not as big as Boston; then again, maybe not.

I've written multiple security analyses for several locations in Indiana, just for the reason discussed here, ALL would be considered 'legitimate targets' by some scumbag like Bin Laden. Probably COULD write another 100+ for locations that are interested.

Most AREN'T, because "it'll 'never' happen to us". It's just easier to be cheap. Well, it is until something happens, of course.

JUST like Boston.

How much did that horrific event cost Boston, Watertown, and the surrounding area? $$$ Millions?

Such is human nature.

p.s. - Do EVERYONE a favor. IF you know of something that would be a 'good' (by scumbag standards) 'legitimate' target, don't post it on the internet. Please.

'Cause if those murderous bastards haven't thought of it, ya just gave it to 'em.

They have enough murderous ideas of their own. Let's NOT 'help 'em out', okay? :ugh:

10mm Snack Pack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    New Castle
    PU game? Seriously?!? When they could go east a hundred miles (give or take) and hit an Ohio State game? Or north that same distance and hit a Michigan or Michigan State game. Puh-lease!

Why not? I'm sure a lot of these terrorist groups place there brainwashed bombers in collage. It's an easy way to get them here legally.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    All it takes is one bad egg and we have our share of bad eggs.

A few years ago someone tried to molotav the mosque in Bloomington and a neo nazi shot into a crowd in front of the Korean Methodist church killing at least one man.

The FBI was following some guys in Bloomington after 9/11. I saw the black helicopters, true story.

At the same time the Bloomington police picked up a north African who was spray painting cars/slashing tires and tearing down American flags. I'm only noting that because the guy escalated to slashing people with a knife (seconds before the police showed up to reports of "some guy getting stomped in the middle of the street).

There are bad people everywhere. I'm more concerned with getting smacked by a drunk driver than getting blown up by a jihadist, but either way you should learn first aid/cpr.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I would think Crane would be pretty high up on a terrorist hit list in Indiana.

I think if the terrorist's mindset was "Let's see, what can we blow up in Indiana?" you'd be right. Along with the other places/events listed throughout this thread. But surely there are other, more lucrative, military installations/public events that would be a higher value target to them. Unless someone has a specific grudge against Indiana, we have to realize we are relatively small potatoes. That doesn't mean we can't/won't ever be a target. IMO, it just lessens the chances of it happening. There's a reason there weren't any Indiana targets on 9-11. Doesn't mean there never will be. One thing I've learned in 55 years is to never say never.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If you really think about it, the idea of terrorism is to strike terror in the hearts of your enemy, make them realize that no where is safe, but so far, things that have been targets for terrorism are large structures that are mostly a symbol of western civilization, which is all about shock and awe. Which really is the opposite effect of what terrorism really is. We're not terrified when 9/11 happened. We're pissed of. Every act of so called terrorism ever committed only served to fuel the fire against the terrorists.

Top Bottom