• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    You all forget the numerous Federal Buildings and Military Installations around the state. The Finance Center us the biggest target around Indianapolis.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So you folks don't think that Hoosiers are more vigilant, as a rule, than the big city urban sheep sort of people? I know there is a much higher % of us carrying. Doesn't that matter?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was just talking today about Notre Dame being a good terrorist attack target. You have good sized crowds at football games. Lots of out of towners. All their games are televised. You have the whole Catholic/Christian thing going on.

mbafta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Warrick Co.
    I'd say for a domestic terrorism we have some targets in Indiana but I would imagine they would seek out more high profile targets elsewhere....but as far as international terrorism high profile targets Indiana is fairly "low key."

Now actual war time targets would be different...back in the day I know Crane NWSC was one of the larger ammo storage bases...now I'm not so sure. Not to mention we have 2 very large military bases just across the border in KY.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last edited:

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    p.s. - Do EVERYONE a favor. IF you know of something that would be a 'good' (by scumbag standards) 'legitimate' target, don't post it on the internet. Please.

'Cause if those murderous bastards haven't thought of it, ya just gave it to 'em.

They have enough murderous ideas of their own. Let's NOT 'help 'em out', okay? :ugh:

B I N G O!

However, they just keep posting and adding to the list. :rolleyes:

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    For what my uneducated opinion is worth...how many of these genius types would have the capability/resources/ smarts to attack a military institution as mentioned above? These places are usually secured and better protected by armed and trained people. They would rather attack easy to get targets such as the marathon.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So you folks don't think that Hoosiers are more vigilant, as a rule, than the big city urban sheep sort of people? I know there is a much higher % of us carrying. Doesn't that matter?

When I read this kind of comment I get the impression that you think every Hooiser is Chuck Norris. Do you think every time some hoosier sees a bag on the ground they're going to sound an alert to defcon 5 or something. Do you honestly think people in the big city are so blind that they just welcome terrorists into their city? The way I see it, people are people. Your normal human beings just want to go to work and come home mixed in with a little bit of fun here and there. Indiana has some places and populations that are more vulnerable than others, but we'll never have the populations of the big cities. I think Indiana is just as vulnerable as anywhere else and I don't think our pretty pink papers in our wallets or our little pistols we carry are going to stop a mad bomber.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    B I N G O!

However, they just keep posting and adding to the list. :rolleyes:

Yah guys don't tell the terrorist where a lot of people will be gathered, not like its not in the media and god forbid we let them in on secrets like the Indy 500 and other large events, they would have never figured it out... get over yourself!

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    No city is immune to this stuff, but some things make you bigger targets than others, and it isn't necessarily targets of opportunity. Here are the two biggest factors I think strictly from a tactical terrorism standpoint:

-Ethnic Diversity. It is much harder to blend in somewhere where you are different, people notice things like that. In a 2012 study, Indianapolis ranked #28 out of 30 least diverse major cities in the United States.

-News attention. Indianapolis is the 12th largest city in the US, but outside of major sporting events and balanced budget commentary, gets very little national press attention, and almost no international attention (sans racing).

-Haven...Indy just isn't chomping at the bit to become a haven for ethnic diversity...there aren't tons of programs to seduce foreign nationals into the university system, corporate structures, or politics in Indiana. This goes back to point number one.

Anyway, that's my take.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    There is a very large mosque in Indianapolis.
    I don't know which Muslim group it is affiliated with.
    Might be worth checking into.
    There is also a mosque in Coldwater MI just across the state line.
    There have been some shenanigans there in the past.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I do believe that we have plenty of large events that are as large or larger than the Boston Marathon. I also believe that had this occurred in a state that was predisposed to freedom (friendly to personal protection etc.) a different outcome MIGHT have even been possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedway_bombings

I believe had this happened in today's climate it would be possibly considered an act of terrorism.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I do believe that we have plenty of large events that are as large or larger than the Boston Marathon. I also believe that had this occurred in a state that was predisposed to freedom (friendly to personal protection etc.) a different outcome MIGHT have even been possible.

How would it be different? Someone should have shot the guys for carrying a backpack?!? With people like you on the loose, maybe it's a good thing college campuses are GFZs. If you are targeting backpack carrying kids, that's a target rich environment. :n00b:

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    The fact that this is Indiana is irrelevant .. we'd a perfect target. Anywhere there's a crowd of people is a perfect target for a terrorist .. kill a few people, injure more, inspire fear, make us spend a bunch of money .. just what a terrorist wants.

We've got 300 million or so people living in the country. Virtually any one of them has access to weapons, gunpowder, fireworks .. stuff that can go boom. Yet we have relatively little terrorism here. In Iraq this crap is happening every day.

I choose to believe that most people in this country, regardless of their color, religion, background, etc .. are happy to be here and are trying to be good citizens. Of course there will be the occasional madman (madmen) who strike at us, but we take each of those situations as unique and deal with them as necessary. Life goes on. As soon as we deviate from that mentality, the terrorists 'win'.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Hmmmm...

First off I like the great leap of assumption you took there. Reminds me of why I venture out of the classifieds so rarely anymore and am quickly reminded why I tend to keep myself off the rest of the forum.

Those citizens who so completely rely on the government to tend to their safety, through choice or government laws, rarely practice situational awareness. Those citizens who by choice can and do practice situational awareness might have noticed a backpack being left and become suspicious. I think more of the latter citizen exists in Indiana due the the lack of gun laws relative a state like Mass.

How would it be different? Someone should have shot the guys for carrying a backpack?!? With people like you on the loose, maybe it's a good thing college campuses are GFZs. If you are targeting backpack carrying kids, that's a target rich environment. :n00b:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    In a situation like an airport, when awareness is automatically heightened, I understand and agree. But with almost 30000 runners, probably triple that in support people and 500000 (yes half a million) spectators milling around in semi-organized chaos, do you REALLY think someone is going to notice 2 men with backpacks. REALLY?!?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Why does it have to be a bomb? I've often thought one of most most terrifying attack that could happen would be simultaneous 'ak-47 ' attacks all over the country at shopping centers, malls, etc.

Fire off a couple mags, drop said rifle and walk away.

Top Bottom