• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    If you supporters think it is such a great deed to allow the homeless to take up refuge in a residential backyard, then I suspect you will soon be calling the local churches and meal halls to tell them you have a place a residency for anyone who might not have a place to stay.

My story is just a local effort. Make a difference where you live!

Some of you have plenty of property. You can run electricity to their camp. You can call the Tuff John place to arrange port-a-pots to be delivered and cleaned each week. I'm sure the local village will supply meals to help your cause.

Hell, you'll even be so kind to provide the tents for them. A tent can't cost much more than a few hours of shooting at the range.

Request they mow lawns, or help the elderly with home chores, for trade. Be sure to provide transportation to, and from, for them as well, the fuel at your own cost.

Don't worry about your neighbors, they will get over it. Why do they have anything to worry about? Drug addicts, alcoholics, sex offenders, thieves, and whatever else living next door amongst their children, pets, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and other loved ones. Nothing to worry about. You'll be hosting vespers and singing Bringing In The Sheathes and Kumbayah around the campfire, while encouraging them that some ghost is going to save their souls.

I KNEW their were some good members on INGO.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Actually it is a pretty sad state of affairs and I personaly think it sucks whenever someone can't see beyond their own oppinions or agendas when trying to find a solution.

Attacking religion and beliefs out of frustration is a much better solution. Maybe we should gas them to death like the vermin they are.

Then sing the Nazi anthem.

If you supporters think it is such a great deed to allow the homeless to take up refuge in a residential backyard, then I suspect you will soon be calling the local churches and meal halls to tell them you have a place a residency for anyone who might not have a place to stay.

Some of you have plenty of property. You can run electricity to their camp. You can call the Tuff John place to arrange port-a-pots to be delivered and cleaned each week. I'm sure the local village will supply meals to help your cause.

Hell, you'll even be so kind to provide the tents for them. A tent can't cost much more than a few hours of shooting at the range.

Request they mow lawns, or help the elderly with home chores, for trade. Be sure to provide transportation to, and from, for them as well, the fuel at your own cost.

Don't worry about your neighbors, they will get over it. Why do they have anything to worry about? Drug addicts, alcoholics, sex offenders, thieves, and whatever else living next door amongst their children, pets, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and other loved ones. Nothing to worry about. You'll be hosting vespers and singing Bringing In The Sheathes and Kumbayah around the campfire, while encouraging them that some ghost is going to save their souls.

I KNEW their were some good members on INGO.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think the old dude is opening himself up for some liability issues. What if a fight breaks out in his camp and someone gets killed.

So the rightness of compassion is inversely proportional to the risk taken by the compassionate? The best kind of compassion is that which costs you nothing?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I dont think you want to shoot old homeless guys, I would think gassing is the proper disposal.

Like I posted earlier, if you are homeless in a large city in Indiana its because you dont want to follow the rules of a shelter. If thats the case then your probably homeless for a reason.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I've got to agree with Fletch, Joe, and some others on this one. A recurring theme on INGO is that the private sector can do it better than the government. After reading all the posts on this thread, it appears to me that homeowner has not broken any local ordinances. And while I might not line up to move into the property next door, I applaud the gentleman for trying to help with a serious problem.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

A few years ago, I invited a stranger to come live with us because he was about to lose everything due to medical bills. I didn't make him stay in a tent, I put him up in one of our spare bedrooms. He lived with us for about a year and 3 months while he got his financial mess straightened out, and yes, it was a giant pain in the ass having someone with different standards of cleanliness, hygiene, and diet living in my house. But he and I are now tight friends, he's on his own again, and you know that saying about friends you call to move a couch vs. friends you call to move a body? He's the latter kind.

Sure, he wasn't a filthy bum or homeless crack addict. I don't know any, and perhaps that's something to be ashamed of. But he was a person who needed help that I was equipped to give, and I would do it all over again.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Big government shelters and private shelters usually turn people away. Your tax dollar doesn't stretch nearly as far as we might think.Having actually served in a soup kitchen as a volunteer I realize many aren't quite the incorrigible deviants you propose.

YES, many are but often that isn't how it started. WHEN no one will hire you to chop wood or clean poop because you don't meet their scrutiny and the "system" is overburdened with the truer slackers then they become forced to survive by any means necessary. Many advocate survival of the fittest until others survival methods don't meet their approval. For many the SHTF years ago we just chose to ignore them.

I dont think you want to shoot old homeless guys, I would think gassing is the proper disposal.

Like I posted earlier, if you are homeless in a large city in Indiana its because you dont want to follow the rules of a shelter. If thats the case then your probably homeless for a reason.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I agree that it is a noble thing to help the homeless. The question I have. Is this guy really helping them or is he enabling them?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ... if you are homeless in a large city in Indiana its because you dont want to follow the rules of a shelter...
    Seems to me the story related the fact that the shelter closed.

Seems to me that people on this forum have dual standards, they are all for property rights on THEIR PROPERTY but don't seem to care a bit about anyone else's property rights.

Seems to me that people on this forum have dual standards (#2), they are all bent about government intervention in their lives but seem to be the first people to call for gubmint assistance to get rid of what they perceive to be a problem.

Seems to me that people on this forum have dual standards (#3), they are all bent about HOAs and how horrible they are but when some neighbor does something on their own suburban lot then the protections of a HOA are all of a sudden appreciated.

Seems to me that people on this forum have dual standards (#4), they don't mind making ear shattering noise on their property, which can be heard for about mile in any direction, but when a couple bums shuffle into chat in tents on the other side of a fence in a back yard then all of a sudden that it too much for them to bear.

Seems to me that people on this forum have dual standards (#5), they are all about individual liberty and the constitution which allows us the freedom to our own religion but as soon as someone does something charitable they blast folks about "ghosts" leading them spiritually.

I could go on, but why :dunno:

Clearly people here do not see the irony of the situation. The old guy TRIED TO WORK WITH THE CITY for over a year. This a very liberal city. The city did not respond. So he took matters into his own hands. It may simply be a publicity stunt to get the government to do something?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    If the old coot wants to spend his money providing a campground for the homeless that is his business. If he gets beaten or raped or robbed by one of his houseguests then that is his business too. If the homeless people in his backyard generate so much urine that it flows over onto his neighbor's land then it will stop being his business and become an isssue with the neighbors.

Whenever one of us joins with a majority of citizens to tell our neighbors how they can live their lives we open ourselves up to the possibility that one day our neighbors will band together and tell us how to live our lives.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If the old coot wants to spend his money providing a campground for the homeless that is his business. If he gets beaten or raped or robbed by one of his houseguests then that is his business too...
    And it seems to me that the people on this forum have dual standards because so many here expect everyone with a gun to be treated with respect as honest citizens but we can't presume the same level of respect should be conveyed to these folks. There are countless posts here defending people who have guns just because they have guns. Why can't we defend people who don't have guns too? Why presume they are violent criminals/sex offenders just because they are homeless.

Maybe if we gave them all guns & internet connections they would be treated better by the members of this forum?

I agree that it is a noble thing to help the homeless. The question I have. Is this guy really helping them or is he enabling them?
    They have to live somewhere. He is attempting to give them a peaceful night's sleep in a secure area away from crime. That sounds like help to me. If I was homeless I'd hope someone would do the same for me until I got my head screwed on straight and my life back together.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This thread reminds me of a song by Neil Young...

We got a thousand points of light
    For the homeless man
    We got a kinder, gentler,
    Machine gun hand

Keep on rockin' in the free world, folks.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I hope none of his neighbors are trying to sell their homes at the moment. I cannot think that buying a house that has a tent city of homeless people next door is a huge selling point. " 3 bedrooms 2 baths with amazing views of the local refugee camp" :n00b:

I understand this gentleman is trying to do something he thinks is noble and righteous and private property is just what is says "private" but I cannot see this story having a happy ending.

:twocents:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    As for liability or issues of old mans safety. It is his life and his risk if he doesn't have personal insurance then shame on him. To his neighborhood I suggest security and personal protection are much better than sweeping the problem down the road. His neighbors can build a fence, wall or moat to ensure their own protection as well as making sure their local leo cracks down on any illegal activities in the neighborhood.

Solutions not bickering is the motto of the day.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    As for liability or issues of old mans safety. It is his life and his risk if he doesn't have personal insurance then shame on him. To his neighborhood I suggest security and personal protection are much better than sweeping the problem down the road. His neighbors can build a fence, wall or moat to ensure their own protection as well as making sure their local leo cracks down on any illegal activities in the neighborhood.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I hope none of his neighbors are trying to sell their homes at the moment. I cannot think that buying a house that has a tent city of homeless people next door is a huge selling point. " 3 bedrooms 2 baths with amazing views of the local refugee camp"

Ah but tell that to all the folks who claim that HOAs are the creation of the devil and are only 1 step up from hell on earth.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    His neighbors can build a fence, wall or moat to ensure their own protection as well as making sure their local leo cracks down on any illegal activities in the neighborhood.

Just to play devils advocate here;

Why should they have to build fences, walls, or moats??? I am not familiar with the area but the video made it seem like an OK area to live in (granted it was just a video). I for one would be ticked off if I had to spend my hard earned cash on a security feature that I would not of otherwise had to buy, just because someone feels they need to play caretaker for the less fortunate and deviants*.

* And yes I do believe that some (not all mind you) of the residents of the tent city are deviants IMO to think otherwise is ignorant.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom