• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If any of you have ever been to your local Topix(they have one for almost every city and town), you will quickly realize it is an unmoderated message board. You do not have to sign-up to post. You can use any name you want to use, even names already in use. You can also post about almost anything you want. For the EPD to get a warrant based off the crap that is on Topix, there is a judge in Evansville that needs to be replaced.

Exactly. Add to this how easy it is to tap someone else's WiFI.. and you have an entire comedy of errors.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Exactly. Add to this how easy it is to tap someone else's WiFI.. and you have an entire comedy of errors.
    Forget the whole using someones Wi-Fi. Any 13 year old script kiddy can spoof an IP with a minimum of fuss. That's why judges who aren't stuck on stupid are refusing to go along with John Doe warrants for the whole "pirating" scam being pulled by publishers, record and film companies and others. An IP address doesn't mean anything.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Forget the whole using someones Wi-Fi. Any 13 year old script kiddy can spoof an IP with a minimum of fuss. That's why judges who aren't stuck on stupid are refusing to go along with John Doe warrants for the whole "pirating" scam being pulled by publishers, record and film companies and others. An IP address doesn't mean anything.

Excellent point.

Not too hard to set someone up either. Find out their MAC Address, spoof it and their IP, and you have a connection that not only looks like it comes from their router, but their computer as well.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I dont consider detectives to be everyday police men. They aren't out in their cars responding to calls all night long. SWAT guys are still out giving tickets, dealing with idiot drunks, etc

I still believe in a some cases no knock warrants are bull**** and will get someone killed, this one could very well have ended that way. However, they investigated, evidence led them to that home and they did their job. They were wrong, it happens. Cant really fault them for that. I still say the biggest mistake here is inviting the media.

Umm, am I missing something here? they investigated, I think not. Also if all they need is an Internet posting for an NKW, we are all in some deep ****! Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the first amendment cover Internet postings as well? Really an NKW based on an internet posting from an IP address? I can spoof an IP address in about 10 seconds, crack typical home users WiFi passwords in about 15 minutes, how the hell is that basis for a warrant, let alone a full SWAT breech?!?

On top of that the police are refusing to disclose the warrant? That's bull**** right there, I wonder if the warrant in question even exists/existed before this went public!

I'm sorry, someone breaks in my door, they will be answered with 9mm, or 7.62x39, whichever is handier! I think this country's LEO and judicial branches need an enema!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    An IP address does not equal a person. If you have a wifi connection that is unprotected it can be accessed by anyone at the location including someone parked along the street or by someone in near by houses depending on the signal strength. The judge who issued the search warrant may want to review recent case law.

Judge Rules IP-Address Does Not Equal a Person | San Gabriel Personal Injury Attorney

Finally, a Judge That Understands that an IP Is Not a Person

Aside from that, most wifi connections aren't that difficult to hack by someone with the right equipment and knowledge. It happens all the time.

Judges are rubber stamps for warrants at this point. The system has completely broke down.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    Bolin said police had no way of knowing if an unsecured wireless Internet network in the home could have been accessed by someone outside it. He also said Friday department records indicated relatives associated with the address had criminal histories
    So are they stating there was in fact an unsecured wireless network in the home?
    And what does it mean 'relatives associated with an address'?
    What I mean by that is are they meaning lived there at one point or had mail there or could it be a distant uncle who the people living at the address never even met? What is the standard to be considered 'associated' with an address?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    So are they stating there was in fact an unsecured wireless network in the home?
    And what does it mean 'relatives associated with an address'?
    What I mean by that is are they meaning lived there at one point or had mail there or could it be a distant uncle who the people living at the address never even met? What is the standard to be considered 'associated' with an address?

This is only my speculation but:

1. I believe he is trying to sidestep the issue of an unsecured WiFi and therefore they would have had the reason to assume that the perpetrators were inside with the computer equipment they procured the warrant to [STRIKE]steal[/STRIKE] I mean seize.

2. It could have come up with an information search of the address. Any one anywhere at anytime that had anything at all to do with that address or linked to any of the current listed occupants in the entire police database which is ridiculously huge.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I read it as they had relatives who had a criminal record and may not even live at that house or visit it. In other words just because you are related to a criminal is good enough reason to have 2 grenades thrown at you. :twocents:

Top Bottom