• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Reading wikipedia on the subject pretty interesting. They do have a low success rate but it is still possible (But still so low that I can see how my point could be considered stupid)

The majority of the defense is Aegis class missle ships. They need to be close to the launch site go work. Ie stationed outside the launching country. Great if you know someone is launching ahead of time.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    There are 104 nuclear reactors in the USA.A few well placed nukes will take out the grid(aerial bursts at high altitude for max emp effect).

Without the grid those plants have a very limited ability to cool themselves.They will have from a few hours(12 hours is all they are required by law to be able to provide on site cooling)to a few days at most before a melt down starts.Add in all the storage pools...the initial strike would pale in comparison.

It would not take many nukes to make the world very inhospitable to our species.I am not saying no one could survive,some would.Life though would not return to the way it was ever again.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Interesting stuff, I live about 90 miles from chicago which is the closest big city to me but I doubt it would be the first target of any of our enemies, id say new york or california residents would be the ones who need to worry most! that's what they get stupid liberals! ha

That all kind of depends on the enemy and what they are trying to accomplish. During the Cold War the #1 concern was the Soviets and it was widely believed that would target what we would target:

1) Existing ICBM and nuclear warhead storage locations to reduce or eliminate our ability to strike back. This is the rational for the immediate counter-strike since it may not be possible to retaliate later.

2) Means of production of missiles and nuclear warheads. So this would be places like Los Alamos, Sandia Labs, Livermore Labs, Oak Ridge TN, Hanford WA and the like.

3) Federal Govt. in Washington, DC. i.e. cut off the head philosophy. (I'm not so sure this would be so smart. From an enemy viewpoint it may be better to leave DC alone.)

4) Military installations.

But there are other enemies, like Iran, Al Qaeda, and other terrorist or Islamic militants who have a different agenda. They want to create terror and strike at what they see is the evil that makes us the "Great Satan" in their way of thinking. So as we saw on 9/11 the targets were "heart of business" in NYC, the "heart of military" at the Pentagon, and the failed attempt at the "heart of government" at the White House. So if Iran had nukes (not quite yet but close) and the way to deliver them here - still not quite there but getting closer, I suspect we'd see the same type of attack.

N. Korea is totally unpredictable in my opinion. Kim Jong Un is a certified mental-case and, in my view SHOULD NOT be allowed to have nuclear weapons. With all the positioning in DC about keeping AR-15's (not all that dangerous in this scheme of things!) Mr. Obama and his band-of-clowns has stood by while this madman has perfected his nuclear warheads and the missiles that could quite possibly deliver them to US soil. This guy makes the last crackpot despot, Muammar Gaddafi look like a Boy Scout! Kim Jong Un has declared war on the US and, unfortunately he ABSOLUTELY has the WMD's that Saddam Hussein did not, or managed to smuggle out of Iraq before GW got there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That all kind of depends on the enemy and what they are trying to accomplish. During the Cold War the #1 concern was the Soviets and it was widely believed that would target what we would target:

1) Existing ICBM and nuclear warhead storage locations to reduce or eliminate our ability to strike back. This is the rational for the immediate counter-strike since it may not be possible to retaliate later.

2) Means of production of missiles and nuclear warheads. So this would be places like Los Alamos, Sandia Labs, Livermore Labs, Oak Ridge TN, Hanford WA and the like.

3) Federal Govt. in Washington, DC. i.e. cut off the head philosophy. (I'm not so sure this would be so smart. From an enemy viewpoint it may be better to leave DC alone.)

4) Military installations.

But there are other enemies, like Iran, Al Qaeda, and other terrorist or Islamic militants who have a different agenda. They want to create terror and strike at what they see is the evil that makes us the "Great Satan" in their way of thinking. So as we saw on 9/11 the targets were "heart of business" in NYC, the "heart of military" at the Pentagon, and the failed attempt at the "heart of government" at the White House. So if Iran had nukes (not quite yet but close) and the way to deliver them here - still not quite there but getting closer, I suspect we'd see the same type of attack.

N. Korea is totally unpredictable in my opinion. Kim Jong Un is a certified mental-case and, in my view SHOULD NOT be allowed to have nuclear weapons. With all the positioning in DC about keeping AR-15's (not all that dangerous in this scheme of things!) Mr. Obama and his band-of-clowns has stood by while this madman has perfected his nuclear warheads and the missiles that could quite possibly deliver them to US soil. This guy makes the last crackpot despot, Muammar Gaddafi look like a Boy Scout! Kim Jong Un has declared war on the US and, unfortunately he ABSOLUTELY has the WMD's that Saddam Hussein did not, or managed to smuggle out of Iraq before GW got there.

I agree....#3, let the idiots stay in charge. Can you even begin to imagine the state of panic these waste's of skin, oxygen suckers will be in.
    No teleprompters will cover this Barry.

Top Bottom