• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Have you ever researched so called "Neutron Bombs" that have tritium added to them, somehow producing the effect of drastically elevating the radiation from the explosion while minimizing the blast? When I first heard about them I was fascinated and curious about the survivability factors. I haven't found information addressing that anywhere.

Hydrogen bombs have tritium.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Have you ever researched so called "Neutron Bombs" that have tritium added to them, somehow producing the effect of drastically elevating the radiation from the explosion while minimizing the blast? When I first heard about them I was fascinated and curious about the survivability factors. I haven't found information addressing that anywhere.

Neutron bombs are physically different from regular nuclear bombs and are generally tactical weapons although I don't know what would stop them from being used on somewhat larger bombs.

With every nuclear bomb there is a release of neutrons. These neutrons are what are responsible for turning things "radioactive" as they get captured by atoms making them unstable isotopes. With a neutron bomb instead of being reflected back to the fission process they are allowed to escape, my guess is lowering the fission yield but increasing the neutron radiation. Neutron radiation is stopped by air so someone outside the blast radius isn't going to be affected. My guess is that there would be slightly more fallout but if it was an air burst that would be negligible.

Interesting fact, the halving distance of depleted uranium is only something like .08". M1 tanks have depleted uranium in their armor making neutron bombs less effective and attractive.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Neutron bombs are physically different from regular nuclear bombs and are generally tactical weapons although I don't know what would stop them from being used on somewhat larger bombs.

With every nuclear bomb there is a release of neutrons. These neutrons are what are responsible for turning things "radioactive" as they get captured by atoms making them unstable isotopes. With a neutron bomb instead of being reflected back to the fission process they are allowed to escape, my guess is lowering the fission yield but increasing the neutron radiation. Neutron radiation is stopped by air so someone outside the blast radius isn't going to be affected. My guess is that there would be slightly more fallout but if it was an air burst that would be negligible.

Interesting fact, the halving distance of depleted uranium is only something like .08". M1 tanks have depleted uranium in their armor making neutron bombs less effective and attractive.

Unless you can effectively block gamma radiation, it doesn't matter much what you do. Alpha and beta radiation are relatively short-distanced. Even enough air will stop these.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Unless you can effectively block gamma radiation, it doesn't matter much what you do. Alpha and beta radiation are relatively short-distanced. Even enough air will stop these.

The additional nuetron effect of a neutron bomb is immediate and short lived. Gamma radiation is an effect of neutron activation and fission by products. My only point was that a neutron bomb produces more immediate neutrons. You still have gamma radiation to deal with in either case.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having grown up in the 50's/60's and lived under the atomic nightmare ie movies/air raid drills, neighbors with bomb shelters etc. I do not want to survive such an event unless it is well over critical range from me. Even then the fall out of survivors, impending war/invasion etc. is not a pretty picture. If I were a much younger man I may feel differently.
    Natural disasters and other such SHTF scenarios maybe. We are basic preppers mainly for my kids and grandkids. Not sure I would want this for them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Having grown up in the 50's/60's and lived under the atomic nightmare ie movies/air raid drills, neighbors with bomb shelters etc. I do not want to survive such an event unless it is well over critical range from me. Even then the fall out of survivors, impending war/invasion etc. is not a pretty picture. If I were a much younger man I may feel differently.
    Natural disasters and other such SHTF scenarios maybe. We are basic preppers mainly for my kids and grandkids. Not sure I would want this for them.

Once again. Knowing what to to can make a difference, especially in a terrorist event. Would you want your kids to die slowly when all they had to do was follow a few rules while they evacuate in a single, or single digit event(s)?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Once again. Knowing what to to can make a difference, especially in a terrorist event. Would you want your kids to die slowly when all they had to do was follow a few rules while they evacuate in a single, or single digit event(s)?

Of course not. Problem is, we live close in the city. If it took a direct hit we are toast anyway. If on the outskirts of such an event (far enough away to survive) all our preps at home would be toast. If not toast we would be if we went in to get them for survival. Kind of a catch 22 actually.
    We have a BOL but all our gear is at the house or nearby. Some at the BOL but most by us. All the fuel and such to get to the BOL would be flashed off or again, we would be pop tarts in the attempt to retrieve. A mixed bag.
    A lot depends as you say on the event. If it were Chi town that gets hit we would stand a glimmer of a chance.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Of course not. Problem is, we live close in the city. If it took a direct hit we are toast anyway. If on the outskirts of such an event (far enough away to survive) all our preps at home would be toast. If not toast we would be if we went in to get them for survival. Kind of a catch 22 actually.
    We have a BOL but all our gear is at the house or nearby. Some at the BOL but most by us. All the fuel and such to get to the BOL would be flashed off or again, we would be pop tarts in the attempt to retrieve. A mixed bag.
    A lot depends as you say on the event. If it were Chi town that gets hit we would stand a glimmer of a chance.

How close are you to the center of the city?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In my mind, if you're going to prep at all, you should prep for everything you can reasonably envision. Even a general nuclear exchange should be survivable for at least some of the population; why not you? In principle, it's not much different than prepping to survive a tornado; all your preps are for nothing if you're at ground zero and your shelter is destroyed, but if the tornado hits a block away, you should be GTG.

If you look at Kearney's Nuclear War Survival Skills, you'll see various ways to improvise a fallout shelter and radiation detection instruments. If a nuke went off in Chicago and the fallout was headed this way, you might have 24 hours to prepare a shelter. If so, are you going to give it a shot or are you going to say 'screw it' and wait for the end?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I know we may have gotten off on the wrong foot with each other, but I wanted to congratulate you on the high quality, articulate videos.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my mind, if you're going to prep at all, you should prep for everything you can reasonably envision. Even a general nuclear exchange should be survivable for at least some of the population; why not you? In principle, it's not much different than prepping to survive a tornado; all your preps are for nothing if you're at ground zero and your shelter is destroyed, but if the tornado hits a block away, you should be GTG.

If you look at Kearney's Nuclear War Survival Skills, you'll see various ways to improvise a fallout shelter and radiation detection instruments. If a nuke went off in Chicago and the fallout was headed this way, you might have 24 hours to prepare a shelter. If so, are you going to give it a shot or are you going to say 'screw it' and wait for the end?

Of course if there was some time everyone wants to live. Yes, there are ways to survive but man would you really want to if you were in the zone. If time was on our side we could load up and be gone using alternate routes we already have mapped out and tested. No main artery's.
    OP we live in the Speedway area. Allisons transmission and Rolls Royce are prime targets if the attack was military. Terrorist attempts would be the speedway on race day. I could drive a golf ball close to turn 4 if I used the asphalt. Any of these targets takes a hit we are pop tarts.
    The event would set the tone for survival. If my family was un-hurt initially we would do all in our power to get by. If we were in the "Zone" and glowed in the dark there would not be much point. Other actions would have to be taken at that point.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Not all possible scenarios are survivable. Dying is not a sin. The track is a target rich environment & I left town during the Gran Prix right after 9/11. I have attended 12 races there since.

I live 3 miles from IMS.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Not all possible scenarios are survivable. Dying is not a sin. The track is a target rich environment & I left town during the Gran Prix right after 9/11. I have attended 12 races there since.

I live 3 miles from IMS.

You are correct. Not all possible scenarios are survivable. Dying is not a sin. This is for the folks that find themselves alive and have to deal with it.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If there is a nuclear war, I'm a dead man. In fact if you live near Indy at all, you're probably dead.

Indy was really high up on the target list of the Soviet Union if I remember correctly. Between the major traffic arteries, the nearby weapons storage, and being somewhere in the 16-12th largest city range, we don't have a prayer. lol

That being said, if it were a terrorist attack or a limited strike from N. Korea or Iran, we'll be watching it on TV. haha

We're just big enough to be dead in a full out Nuke war and just small enough to be far away from a small scale attack.

Don't get me wrong. This doesn't stop me from fantasizing about suriving in a "Jericho" world. Hahaha

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    A small scale nuclear attack from N. Korea would probably target Cali... Am I right? And maybe even then the missile might be taken out by one of our interceptor missiles. :dunno: .

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A small scale nuclear attack from N. Korea would probably target Cali... Am I right? And maybe even then the missile might be taken out by one of our interceptor missiles. :dunno: .

Our intercepters? Are you kidding.
    What we have is a system with a questionable success, and certain parts need to be pre-positioned.

Top Bottom