• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Don't be discouraged by the arm chair QB, if you think you have a beef consult an attorney and/or file a complaint with the city.

I agree that you were unlawfully detained. You should have said "am I being arrested or detained?"...their answer to that question would have told you if if you are free to go.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, it sounds like you ARE in fact condoning the officers' actions here...I don't "have to see it from the cops point of view too". Their job is not to interpret the law...it's to abide by it. You are right---"rights have been violated by cops and all that". There is NO condoning it. They should be held to a HIGHER standard. If they can't abide by and enforce the laws as written, it is time that they resign or be forcibly removed.

Yes, in a way, I am. What were they suppose to do? Take his word for it, on a robbery call? Come on now. They HAVE to check him out! It would be stupid if they didn't. Like I said, what if he really was trying to rob it?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    And MAYBE they went a little too far. There have been situations on here where rights were definitely violated. In this case, I don't think things went THAT bad.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    and this all probably could of been avoided if the OP would of simply walked in and notified of work order being performed outside.

It's possible, but then again, I missed the part where he was required to walk in and inform anyone of anything.

How many people in a year perform a robbery with a drill? If they find the cure for stupid I'm sending the first batch to the girl who called this "incident" in.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Yes, in a way, I am. What were they suppose to do? Take his word for it, on a robbery call? Come on now. They HAVE to check him out! It would be stupid if they didn't. Like I said, what if he really was trying to rob it?

What I am saying is that they had no LEGAL cause to run his serial numbers. So they arrive at the scene of a possible robbery. OP identifies himself, explains the situation. AT MOST, they should have checked his LTCH and license, then verified if he DID, in fact, have a work order, then went on their way. Their actions were over the top. I understand WHY they did what they did, but I am stating emphatically that they were WRONG, according to the laws that we have in place to protect us from the police. :twocents:

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I'm confused. Are you saying that the OP should be content that his rights were violated because everything was returned to him at the end? :dunno:
    No sir, OP made the comment that there was no difference between himself and the common crook. 1) if he would of notified a manager of impending work. 2)realize the police are there for a reason...911 call and they have very little info to go on. These 2 reasons is what I'm saying that he shouldn't be so upset. Like dross said that when the LEO's unloaded his mags, that's what I would be pissed about and file a complaint on,

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'm confused. Are you saying that the OP should be content that his rights were violated because everything was returned to him at the end? :dunno:

Can I detain you for some time at my leasure you and then return all of your goodies in awhile while you are trying to earn a buck?

If so, do we all have that right and can we do that to you all day long?

:dunno::popcorn::noway:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    No sir, OP made the comment that there was no difference between himself and the common crook. 1) if he would of notified a manager of impending work. 2)realize the police are there for a reason...911 call and they have very little info to go on. These 2 reasons is what I'm saying that he shouldn't be so upset. Like dross said that when the LEO's unloaded his mags, that's what I would be pissed about and file a complaint on,

Understood. Point taken. Apparently I've been too promiscuous with my rep today, otherwise I'd send some your way. :D Also, it'd be funny IMHO if you had a spare mag in your pocket and you pulled that out and made a smart-arse remark :D I'm sarcastic like that.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I do understand the stress that you were put under and really do sympathize with that, but I would hope you can reasonably look at it from a Police Officers perspective and the danger they face when responding to that type of call. Also can hope that you do see the outcome for what it was, A robbery call was received by 911, dispatched to the police officers, investigated, and everyone went home safely.

& why don't cops try to look at it from a non-LEO's perspective? We are FORCED to ALWAYS look at it from your point of view while the same courtesy is very rarely given in return.

While I know this post won't be received well by some members here who love to bash LEO's, but hope that others can understand what I'm trying to say.

Oh stop :tantrum:. Why is it the first thing that LEO's bring up when someone complains about the actions of one of their specific bretheren (or a specific group thereof) is the "bash" card.

There were 10 cops against 1 guy who was on a ladder who admitted he was armed & showed a LTCH. "Officer safety" was a justification to cuff him & run all the checks on him? Puhleez. Then after all was declared GTG they STILL emptied his mags & illegally ordered him to wait till they left to reassemble his gun. More "officer safety" crap, huh? I guess after they figured that they had no PC to arrest him, they checked him out & found out he has a clean record & was legally allowed to carry his gun they figured he was just gonna open up on all 10 of them as they walked away? Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

So a bad guy couldn't get a white van with ladders and electrical equipment on it?

Come on. They see you on a ladder after a robbery call. You can't expect them to automatically take YOUR word that you're a good guy, can you? They actually have to prove it for themselves.

Uh oh. You're really starting to think like them.

So how many of those bad guys commit robberies of a store while perched on said ladders outside a closed back door :scared:while armed with...:nailbite:...a drill? :runaway: (remember, nobody knew he was armed until he volunteered the info after he was asked.)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    No, I agreed with most of what you said. Yet the fact that they unloaded his magazines suggests the less than pure attitude you seem to take for granted.

They were called for a robbery. I can understand why they might check the guy out with more security than an ordinary OC call. But why unload his mags? That indicates an attitude I don't like.

So, I ask you again, as you gave a solid explanation for everything that happened, except that one thing that without better explanation casts a negative light on all the benefits of the doubt you gave in your explanation.

WOW, why unload his mags?

I have no idea why they unloaded his mags, but to be honest with you I'm really not sure where that takes on the importance that you are giving it. :dunno:

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    So I'm confused, are you upset that the girls called cause they thought they were getting robbed, or are you upset that the Police Officers who responded to the armed robbery call did so with their guns drawn. Or are you upset that the Police Officers automatically didn't believe that you were a "good guy" because you produced a piece of paper with a name on it that said that person could legally carry a handgun.

I do understand the stress that you were put under and really do sympathize with that, but I would hope you can reasonably look at it from a Police Officers perspective and the danger they face when responding to that type of call. Also can hope that you do see the outcome for what it was, A robbery call was received by 911, dispatched to the police officers, investigated, and everyone went home safely.

While I know this post won't be received well by some members here who love to bash LEO's, but hope that others can understand what I'm trying to say.

Of course after re-reading your OP, I think I can get a pretty good feel for what camp you will fall into, so I probably wasted my time, but hope not.

Great post! Gotta look from all angles involved sometimes. As far as the unloading mags thing goes...That is a bit strange to me, but I wasn't there to see how everyone involved (both sides) were acting. Coulda been a dick move, coulda had a SOP to follow from their dept. we don't know about. Good thing to ask when you go and complain to their supervisors.

Sucks that it happened to you like that, but I can definitely see the concern from the 8 dollar an hour employee and the cops dispatched with very LIMITED information.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    THIS

Did it not occur to you to speak to the nervous lady inside BEFORE you started drilling?

Not trying to bust your balls, but ya kinda put yourself in an easily avoidable situation, by
    A. Not even knowing the business you were drilling into
    and
    B. Not informing the occupants of said premisses of your legitimate intentions

We are sadly living in some nervous times with nervous [strike]people[/strike] sheep. One must take extra steps, to keep one's self, out of potentially BAD situations involving nervous police officers.

It could have had a worse ending, one of those Glocks could have spontaneously involuntarily kaboomed. :rolleyes:

Just my :twocents:
    I call BS on this. I don't know the OP but I imagine his work in like mine in that I work on business strips all the time. I'm hired by the Owner of the complex to be there. If I had to go into each business and track down the manager just to let them know that I might be making some noise out back I wouldn't get any work done. We're not talking about running a jack hammer or bringing in heavy equipment. I may be on the roof or what not and I don't tell anyone inside. If I come into a business to do work, of course I track down the manager.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    What I got from the OP is that there are some LEO's that are just plain scared to death, or very upset with non-Leo's having guns on them. Their taking the gun, frisking, emptying the magazines is proof to me.

Top Bottom