Stopped by Terre Haute PD for OC'ing -- On a Date!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    whatever you're smoking I want some. :dunno:

So what's that supposed to mean. You think everyone else here is an ignorant A-Hole. Nice. And what was that, you think the cops all should have been depantsed... Wow... making comments like that after we just got complimented by VUPD...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    So what's that supposed to mean. You think everyone else here is an ignorant A-Hole. Nice. And what was that, you think the cops all should have been depantsed... Wow... making comments like that after we just got complimented by VUPD...

you forgot the purple. ;)

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    This begs a few questions:

Why did you engage him in conversation by answering his questions? I would imagine because you were not sure you were on legal ground.

Why did you show your driver's license? (not operating)

For the rest of you, is there anything in the Indiana code that says you must provide anything other than your name and address to identify yourself? (If not operating a motor vehicle?) I'm not counting the LTCH. I mean any other form of identification.

One of the lessons here is: If you don't know if it's legal to carry, find out BEFORE you potentially break the law.

If he called my girlfriend 'hun' I'm not sure what I would have said, if anything, but that does not sit well with me. When I was a paramedic instructor I taught my students to NEVER use terms of endearment when speaking to a patient.

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Why did you engage him in conversation by answering his questions?

For the rest of you, is there anything in the Indiana code that says you must provide anything other than your name and address to identify yourself? (If not operating a motor vehicle?) I'm not counting the LTCH. I mean any other form of identification.

Check out post #63.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DANGIT NO I DON'T HAVE NO PICS! But I do have that audio recording with her voice on it! Now I guess I *have* to figure out how to post that. Plus, I have the receipt for the movie tickets - for two people!

You weren't on a date with Sarah Irish were you??????? :draw:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    the cops was wrong but everybody already knows that. i just woke up ill be back to finish this post after some coffee.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

Why did you engage him in conversation by answering his questions? I would imagine because you were not sure you were on legal ground.

One of the lessons here is: If you don't know if it's legal to carry, find out BEFORE you potentially break the law.

If he called my girlfriend 'hun' I'm not sure what I would have said, if anything, but that does not sit well with me. When I was a paramedic instructor I taught my students to NEVER use terms of endearment when speaking to a patient.

I engaged him because the question was one I frequently get from other people, too: why do you OC? I'm so used to giving answers for that question, I'm sure that habit played a part in it.

I had thought all along that it was legal to carry in TH parks. Lesson learned: don't wait to find out the hard way--verify it yourself with the city code. Once they stopped me, I was made suddenly aware that my thinking was probably wrong. As it turns out, it's a good thing I didn't refuse to ID myself (although if I hadn't been in possession of a state-issued ID, I could ID myself by simply stating my name, date of birth, and address, IIRC) as that could be grounds for being hauled off. Not good for a first date!

Check out post #63.

I couldn't remember what was in post #63, so here it is again (below).

Refusing to identify yourself while commiting an infraction of a city ordinance is a C Misdemeanor and an outrightable offense.

So no ticket but instead.....the pokey.

IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.1-1998, SEC.24.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    MK2JA, Sir, I salute you, I have been carrying, longer than you have been alive, and I'm not sure, how I would have handled it. I think you did just fine... There is nothing wrong with answering questions, remember,
    LEO, can charge you with disorderly conduct, for almost any reason...
    You, did not get a ticket, or a free ride, to jail... you came out ok... good
    luck on the second date.....

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    And I can't believe that it has stayed civil! :p

Sort of, anyway.

Just an observation here, but it does seem that the question of OC vs CC smacks of Bigendians vs. Littlleendians.

Look, we're all (for the most part, anyway) True Believers in RKBA and the 2nd Amendment, right? So why do we waste our energy in trying to antagonize each other instead of spreading the Gospel to the unwashed Heathens who would deny us any Right to Carry?

Let me relay a story to you. When I first got my Indiana handgun license, back in '90 or '91 and read through it and the law, I was kind of confused (and I'm a lawyer, new to Indiana and not admitted to the Indiana Bar). I had kind of presumed that what i was getting was a CC permit, but I didn't get that from the wording on the license, I think it came more from the distinction between the limited carry Hunting/target shooting permit and the "unlimited" carry or personal protection permit. I had gone for the latter on the sage advice of a retired IPD sergeant who was the head of our corporate security team.

So after much deliberation back in the pre-internet days, I called the ISP to ask about the OC vs CC question. The sergeant that I spoke with had a slightly exasperated, but very polite tone to her voice when she told me that, yes, indeed, my "PPP" would allow me to OC or CC anywhere in Indiana that it was legal to carry. She did add, that I would be less likely to be "hassled" if I CC'd. I understood her point and when I carry, unless its while hunting, 90+% of the time its CC. (I just don't carry often enough!)

It seems that Masaad Ayoob also takes this position in his writings on CC aas well.

Seems to me the whole OC vs CC debate smacks of divisiveness and antagonism that we, as INGO members should try to avoid.

Its kind of like the endless "debates" or "rants" over 9mm vs .45ACP (I'm in the latter camp) or .223 vs 7.62 (again in the latter camp). We can debate it endlessly, and probably will, but lets not lose solidarity or focus with internecine warfare!

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Unit308 gives us "youngblood" 308ers a bad rap...

OP, you did a GREAT job maintaining composure. I would be pissed beyond belief having my pistol tapped. You also did well in not engaging unit308 in childish name calling.

CC or OC...who cares. Just glad you choose to carry and continue holding steadfast in exercising your right. +1 to you.

On a side note, did the date get to see your rifle too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom