• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was just talking to a friend that's involved with the IN State Police and was told that they are dropping the Glock 21s due to issues they've had with them. According to him, the biggest issue, and the one that led to the brand new Glocks being replaced is the issue of mags not dropping free when empty. Too many of the G21s would not drop a mag when the mag release was pressed and Glock would not address the issue to their satisfaction.

The question I have is, will we see a large number of almost new G21s hitting the used market in the next year? IIRC, the IN State Police just moved to the G21 about a year ago. I wonder what they will go to next?

Indiana Ed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Bloomington / South
    I was just talking to a friend that's involved with the IN State Police and was told that they are dropping the Glock 21s due to issues they've had with them. According to him, the biggest issue, and the one that led to the brand new Glocks being replaced is the issue of mags not dropping free when empty. Too many of the G21s would not drop a mag when the mag release was pressed and Glock would not address the issue to their satisfaction.

The question I have is, will we see a large number of almost new G21s hitting the used market in the next year? IIRC, the IN State Police just moved to the G21 about a year ago. I wonder what they will go to next?

I heard they were hanging on to the turned 17's thinking they would re issue them back to the officers. I heard a few days ago that the quartermaster was going release them. I also heard they were looking at Sig.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I heard they were hanging on to the turned 17's thinking they would re issue them back to the officers. I heard a few days ago that the quartermaster was going release them. I also heard they were looking at Sig.

He had heard Sig, H&K and a couple of others were in the running.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    This is a training issue. Manually strip the magazine every time and you'll never have the problem in any gun, regardless of the reason they are sticking. This has the added bonus of you being able to get that dropping magazine out of your line of travel and doesn't slow doesn't measurably slow the reload as your support hand is coming from the gun to your belt line regardless.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    We have been told the issues and the options are being studied. I have not had a problem with my issued G21, but I have heard others have had problems. The sticking mags are not the only problems.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They had Glock 17s, arguably the most reliable self-loading handgun on the market, and just had to switch to something else (i.e. the G 21). Why fix something that isn't broken?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    They had Glock 17s, arguably the most reliable self-loading handgun on the market, and just had to switch to something else (i.e. the G 21). Why fix something that isn't broken?
    Their belief that a 45 ACP round is a man-stopper and anybody can take a dozen 9mm rounds and still keep up the fight?

Purple where needed.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    The gun they had previously (I spoke to a Sergeant in the ISP and he said they had G22s) had lots of malfunctions. He told me recently that the new Gen 4 G21s were running smoothly. This is the first time I have heard they were having issues.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    As I said mine has run fine. The problems others are having include the mag sticking in the magazine well, FTF, FTE and casings ejecting in the face of the shooter. I like mine and don't really want to switch. I doubt they will ask my opinion.

We briefly had Gen3 Glock 22's several years ago and had problems. The solution was for Glock to give us Glock 17's to replace the problematic G 22's. The previous super switched to the Gen 4 Glock 21's just prior to his leaving office. We all have to wait to see what the firearms committee and the new super decide about the Glock 21's.

Top Bottom