• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My wife refuses to eat any wild game, I find it delicious. Anyone know of a recipe I might be able to get her to try? I was thinking about making the legs kind of like BBQ chicken wings, but I haven't eaten any since I was a kid; so I don't remember if the flavors would mesh well...

Unless they're young squirrels,(you'll know when you skin 'em), I always parboil them for about an hour and twenty minutes or til tender with some basic spice. Usually salt and pepper and some crushed red pepper. I like spicy. Maybe a bit of garlic powder.

Then if you want fried, Batter or coat in your usual recipe and fry just til crispy in HOT oil. :rockwoot:
    Or put some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce cut about 1/2 and 1/2 with water in a saucepan and cook the parts for about another 10-15 min. My kids favorite.:yesway:

I've boned 'em out raw, ground 'em and made meatballs, boiled 'em and picked the meat off and made soup, lots of options.

Whatever you do, don't just try and grill an old fox squirrel without parboiling or pressure cooking it first. That's the toughest piece of meat you'll ever bite into. Wait, make that ATTEMPT to bite into.:):

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

I like to make meaty squirrel stew...mmmmmmmmm!

I make up a thick stew the same way I would for beef or venison, but I add squirrel meat instead that's been de-boned and seasoned. I usually toss in a couple of cubes of beef- just for a familiar flavor for those new eaters that are wary- but once they get a spoonfull of my stew, they're hooked!

Pour a couple of ladels of that over oven toasted frech bread, eat it up and then it's naptime on the couch watchin' a football game. Now THAT'S livin'! :rockwoot:

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I usually stew them, make a squirrel pot pie. or fry & bake like chicken wings (parboil first). Cooked the first two of the season today bbq grilled for my daughter & I and we loved it.

Shot em on Saturday, brined overnight in salt water w/a little cider vinegar. Rubbed em down on Sunday with a poultry dry rub & marinated overnight in a bit of Italian salad dressing. Wife put em in the oven at 300 Monday afternoon for two hours in a covered roasting dish with a couple cups of chicken stock + half a chopped onion.

I coated em with some homemade Jack Daniels & Coke bbq sauce and grilled em over low heat (225 F) for about 40 minutes turning & basting every 10 minutes.

Finger licking good.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I usually stew them, make a squirrel pot pie. or fry & bake like chicken wings (parboil first). Cooked the first two of the season today bbq grilled for my daughter & I and we loved it.

Shot em on Saturday, brined overnight in salt water w/a little cider vinegar. Rubbed em down on Sunday with a poultry dry rub & marinated overnight in a bit of Italian salad dressing. Wife put em in the oven at 300 Monday afternoon for two hours in a covered roasting dish with a couple cups of chicken stock + half a chopped onion.

I coated em with some homemade Jack Daniels & Coke bbq sauce and grilled em over low heat (225 F) for about 40 minutes turning & basting every 10 minutes.

Finger licking good.
    :drool:

Man....I'm coming to your house for dinner! :yesway:

mr buckman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    I just can't justify the hours I spend in the woods after those little critters. I guess that's what some guys say about the waterfowl I love too though! To each their own! :yesway:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Ive gone twice so far. Got 3 each time. Gonna get a few more then do a big squirrel dinner.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Yes it is!

It's amazing how "loud" modern society has become, where one can't easily get away from "noise" without a concerted effort to do so. Setting peacefully alone, at the base of a tree, as the Sun rises, in the cool of the morning, hearing NOTHING but nature to relax you is truly medicinal... :coffee:

Last edited:

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Buckeyes? I've never seen anything eat buckeyes. :dunno: Hickories are the chow of choice in my woods this week.

I've not seen any around home in the woods. I'd say buy some permanone and treat your hunting clothes at least a day b4 you go out. Duct tape aroung the akles of your pants will help keep 'em out too.

They are awful down this way! I like that duct tape idea, they usually get me around the sock bands so I'm sure that would help.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Went this last Tuesday with my girlfriend, area 13A Atterbury, saw two, ammo didn't fire on first(her), missed the second(me).

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I used to hunt the military side of Atterbury on weekdays. I had a favorite spot on the road heading south through area 5. The greys were so thick, it wasn't hunting, it was self defense. Unfortunately, the last time I went there, the area was clearcut and looked like a lawn. I think that is where they fire tank guns into the impact area from.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Anybody wanting a way to cook squirrel should google Brunswick stew. Way back in colonial times, they fixed them like that. The name comes from Brunswick County, Virginia and Brunswick County, North Carolina. Both states claim it as their own.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

4 of the little dudes all dressed out, cut, breaded, seared in canola oil for 3 min. per side and oven baked with onions for 2 hrs. Mmmmmmm! :)

squirrel1.jpg

squirrel2.jpg

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    First day out I took my grandpa's sweet 16. He hunted so much with this gun the blueing is wore away. I love it. Got my limit of greys in about 45 min.

3C3221F4-B1D7-41AD-BE97-77814587141E-11530-0000114AD12A2DEF.jpg

The next day I took my first gun my dad gave me when I was a kid. A Winchester 9422. I got 4 greys with open sights. I was happy. While trying to get my fifth. I ran across this bobcat. I know the picture looks like a Bigfoot sighting. I felt like I was the luckiest hunter in indiana to get 4 greys open sight and see a bobcat!

Happy hunting.
    9B2FE487-7922-49AA-9A18-52DEC7250966-11530-0000114CDB88C7EC.jpg

Top Bottom