• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Got one this morning. Felt good to blood my first CZ (American 16"). Heard a few barking through the day, most movement was up in the canopy and couldn't spot em for squat.

We got a 6 mo old JRT/Beagle about three weeks ago. He went nuts over the heart and kidneys. Can't wait to get him in the woods later this year. Hope I can hook up with a few squirrel hunting dog guys around here.

Think I'll head out early in the am tomorrow as well.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Got one this morning. Felt good to blood my first CZ (American 16"). Heard a few barking through the day, most movement was up in the canopy and couldn't spot em for squat.

We got a 6 mo old JRT/Beagle about three weeks ago. He went nuts over the heart and kidneys. Can't wait to get him in the woods later this year. Hope I can hook up with a few squirrel hunting dog guys around here.

Think I'll head out early in the am tomorrow as well.

Wow, I think your dog with its cross breeding should be great for squirrels. I have owned both breeds but never a combo between them. If you get the best of both, that dog should be great.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Had a good hunt the other day. Shot 3 of them with my savage in 17cal. Gonna keep the legs in the freezer till i get enough to grill them in buffalo sauce.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    DSCN1430.jpg

Shot two young greys this morning early. Cleaned them in the woods so no pix.
    Finished my limit this afternoon. Got in the woods about 1730 and took a nap to lull them into a false sense of security. Got the fox first at about 40yds. Shot the first gray as I was about to pick up the fox, then the last one insisted on barking at me as I was leaving the woods. That was a mistake.:yesway::dunno: I'd have missed the last two if it hadn't been for my one legged rifle crutch.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I like your stategy of of lulling them into a false sense of security. I have used that tactic many times.

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    Took my daughter and her 10/22 out for the first time this morning. Within about 10 minutes we had one barking at us. She was so excited she raised up and squeezed the trigger. Needless to say she missed. It came back within 20 yards about five minutes and she was a lot more patient this time, but missed by about an inch. He left for good this time so we went on our way. Stayed out for about 2-3 hours and didn't see anymore. Heard plenty of them, but just couldn't get a visual on them. She still had fun, but was upset that she wasn't able to come home with anything.

We went out to a friends house in Paragon, he has several acres of woods behind him. Does anyone know of somewhere somewhat close to the Camby/Mooresville area?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Took my daughter and her 10/22 out for the first time this morning. Within about 10 minutes we had one barking at us. She was so excited she raised up and squeezed the trigger. Needless to say she missed. It came back within 20 yards about five minutes and she was a lot more patient this time, but missed by about an inch. He left for good this time so we went on our way. Stayed out for about 2-3 hours and didn't see anymore. Heard plenty of them, but just couldn't get a visual on them. She still had fun, but was upset that she wasn't able to come home with anything.

We went out to a friends house in Paragon, he has several acres of woods behind him. Does anyone know of somewhere somewhat close to the Camby/Mooresville area?

my 1022's rear sight is in the dovetail wrong, so POA is off to the right. Thankfully I figured it out the other day, and have been using a red dot for a few months now :)

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    my 1022's rear sight is in the dovetail wrong, so POA is off to the right. Thankfully I figured it out the other day, and have been using a red dot for a few months now :)

That's what my daughter has on hers, a 30mm red dot. She is used to them from my wife's AR. I think I have her finally talked into trying a conventional scope, at least something with some sort of magnification on it. Maybe it will help her out a little next time.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I got my first one Saturday morning, couldn't stay out long since my mother was watching my twins by herself (bit of a handful at 2 months old).

Small grey in the head at about 40 yards or so.

Anyone else having a nasty problem with turkey ticks? I wore white shoes so I could see them if i stepped in a nest. Brushed my arm up against a couple things here and there and got painted with hundreds of them. No 'repellant' will work I guess since they are being rubbed off on you and not actually coming to you.

mr buckman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    I just can't find it in myself to get into squirrel hunting....that is, until they're making too much racket around my deer stand :ar15:

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    I'm positive there are tree rats out there?? Just didnt see any this last weekend.. Foilage is too thick in places. Think i'll wait for the leaves to thin a bit.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    theyve been cuttin hard on acorns and buckeyes in the woods I hunted this morning. shot two but lost one in a brushpile under the tree

Buckeyes? I've never seen anything eat buckeyes. :dunno: Hickories are the chow of choice in my woods this week.

Anyone else having a nasty problem with turkey ticks? I wore white shoes so I
    could see them if i stepped in a nest. Brushed my arm up against a couple
    things here and there and got painted with hundreds of them. No 'repellant'
    will work I guess since they are being rubbed off on you and not actually coming
    to you.

I've not seen any around home in the woods. I'd say buy some permanone and treat your hunting clothes at least a day b4 you go out. Duct tape aroung the akles of your pants will help keep 'em out too.

Top Bottom