• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    How does a 6x work say 25 yard out? Is it to much power? Reason I ask is I raccoon/squirrel hunt and 25yards is about as high up as they can climb in most of the trees around here being 80 feet.
    I've been using a 2-7x Vortex Rimfire on my 10/22 I rarely use it past 4x unless target shooting at 50yds.
    However, I'm looking to get more power to see the targets better at 50yds to see how accurate I can shoot with the ammunition it likes. Yet still be able to use it for hunting purposes.
    Just my point of view, but any good 4 power scope is GTG. Your not shooting a mile.

My favorite recipe is, dredge in flower, brown on both sides. Then in the same cast iron pan, add some 1/4 potatoes and a can of cream of mushroom soup. A quartered onion. A half can of water. Then cover with tin foil n put in oven for an hour and a half at 350 deg. “Meat n tatoes” and gravy.

2nd. Favorite is cut up and can it with bbq sauce. In the winter after rabbit hunting, open the ball jar, reach in and pull the bones out, the meat will fall off. Put it in the nuke for 3 minutes, stir and make bbq samiches, pop open a beer and turn on the football game. Works well with a buddy and makes the Mrs. Happy. No dirty dishes cept the ball jar. Use paper plates of course.

Both methods make super tender meat. And great meals.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just my point of view, but any good 4 power scope is GTG. Your not shooting a mile.

My favorite recipe is, dredge in flower, brown on both sides. Then in the same cast iron pan, add some 1/4 potatoes and a can of cream of mushroom soup. A quartered onion. A half can of water. Then cover with tin foil n put in oven for an hour and a half at 350 deg. “Meat n tatoes” and gravy.

2nd. Favorite is cut up and can it with bbq sauce. In the winter after rabbit hunting, open the ball jar, reach in and pull the bones out, the meat will fall off. Put it in the nuke for 3 minutes, stir and make bbq samiches, pop open a beer and turn on the football game. Works well with a buddy and makes the Mrs. Happy. No dirty dishes cept the ball jar. Use paper plates of course.

Both methods make super tender meat. And great meals.
    I think you misunderstood. I use a 2-7× now rarely get over 4x. Only 7x when target shooting.
    My question was would a 6-24 be to much to use for hunting. I'd like to get a more powerful scope for target shooting aka chasing accuracy. 6x at 20-25yrds might be way to much.
    After thinking about it. I have another option. Get quick release scope mounts and just mount a different scope for target shooting. Then put on the 2-7x for hunting purposes. Just shoot it in each time. Unless I get really lucky and it holds the same zero.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I think you misunderstood. I use a 2-7× now rarely get over 4x. Only 7x when target shooting.
    My question was would a 6-24 be to much to use for hunting. I'd like to get a more powerful scope for target shooting aka chasing accuracy. 6x at 20-25yrds might be way to much.
    After thinking about it. I have another option. Get quick release scope mounts and just mount a different scope for target shooting. Then put on the 2-7x for hunting purposes. Just shoot it in each time. Unless I get really lucky and it holds the same zero.
    Yep, sure did. Thought you wanted….never mind. I can’t speak to the potential of over magnification at close range. Someone said squirrel hunting and I lost my senses. All of my 22 RF’s have purpose mounted scopes.

Proper tool for the proper job.

I do believe that anything more than a 4 power scope would not help in the squirrel woods, and may even be detrimental. But to be sure I can’t say. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yep, sure did. Thought you wanted….never mind. I can’t speak to the potential of over magnification at close range. Someone said squirrel hunting and I lost my senses. All of my 22 RF’s have purpose mounted scopes.

I do believe that anything more than a 4 power scope would not help in the squirrel woods, and may even be detrimental. But to be sure I can’t say. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
    No need to apologize.
    I pretty much asked a question that doesn't belong here lol. I pulled an INGO.

I like 2-7× or 1-6 or 1-8x for my high power hunting rifles. I'm slowly changing everything to LPVO for hunting, home defense, etc.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Depends on how tall the trees are. Can't count the number of times that 12x scan of a limb showed me what I thought was a knot, actually had hair on it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Squirrel don't sit still and I don't like sending 22 bouny balls around the woods with other people in it.
    That's always been my dilemma with using a .22 for squirrel. I only have access to public land. This early in the season isn't too much of an issue, but once October hits it's a different game with deer hunters in stands. With thick leaf coverage on the trees and heavy undergrowth, I hate sending a round from a . 22 to potentially bouncing around.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The Feist is ready, my boy is ready, me with the tick hatch in full force, I'm not ready.

When I go, the boy scatter guns with a 410 while I long range with the suppressed 17hmr. (Head shots only). Might do some sub 22 hunting this year .

I did score 3 boxes of 410 at Walmart last week

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That's always been my dilemma with using a .22 for squirrel. I only have access to public land. This early in the season isn't too much of an issue, but once October hits it's a different game with deer hunters in stands. With thick leaf coverage on the trees and heavy undergrowth, I hate sending a round from a . 22 to potentially bouncing around.
    Yep lots of folks out walking and hunters in stands or on the ground. I shot a 22 before and it hit a branch came back at me hitting the ground and bounced through the woods. No more of that.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    The Feist is ready, my boy is ready, me with the tick hatch in full force, I'm not ready.

When I go, the boy scatter guns with a 410 while I long range with the suppressed 17hmr. (Head shots only). Might do some sub 22 hunting this year .

I did score 3 boxes of 410 at Walmart last week
    I usually don't go until a good freeze. Tics are bad right now. Good score on the shells. I found some at Academy and ky gun co.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My favorite way to cook squirrel is in a foil pan. Season squirrel parts with country bobs seasoning, and put in a pan with sliced onions and cover with bacon. put foil on top of the pan and cook over a fire until the squirrel is tender, usually around an hour or so depending on heat level. It could be done in an oven or grill I'm sure, we just usually make our on camping trips in the fall.

Top Bottom