• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Favorite is the .22lr 1727F Anschutz with the 6-24X Bushnell Elite
    How does a 6x work say 25 yard out? Is it to much power? Reason I ask is I raccoon/squirrel hunt and 25yards is about as high up as they can climb in most of the trees around here being 80 feet.
    I've been using a 2-7x Vortex Rimfire on my 10/22 I rarely use it past 4x unless target shooting at 50yds.
    However, I'm looking to get more power to see the targets better at 50yds to see how accurate I can shoot with the ammunition it likes. Yet still be able to use it for hunting purposes.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    You are a long way off in Fox squirrel country up in Remington. They like those wood lots near the corn fields
    Right. You know your tree rats... lol. BTW we do have a lot of corn fields up this way...

I was speaking of squirrels in general, but I used to live in Sullivan. (worked at WVCF) I have family down south, (Indy, Columbus, Evansville) so it's possible to go get some again. Just remember it being kinda fun walking the woods plinking at the little suckers, then taking them home, boiling them, throwing in a can of Vegall to make some soup.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How does a 6x work say 25 yard out? Is it to much power? Reason I ask is I raccoon/squirrel hunt and 25yards is about as high up as they can climb in most of the trees around here being 80 feet.
    I've been using a 2-7x Vortex Rimfire on my 10/22 I rarely use it past 4x unless target shooting at 50yds.
    However, I'm looking to get more power to see the targets better at 50yds to see how accurate I can shoot with the ammunition it likes. Yet still be able to use it for hunting purposes.
    My favorite magnification range for early season squirrels was 3-9 as a youth, when all I could afford was a 3/4" 4x on my single shot Stevens. Today I usually go with 4-12 with an AO or side focus. For what you described, 2-7 should be fine. If you really wanna look 'em in the eye, 6-18 with AO.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I also use a shotgun in the early season with the leaves still on the trees and switch to a .22 when the leaves fall off.

I usually wait until I can see my breath to go hunting tho. If I am feeling sporting I won't wear my glasses while hunting, that way if they don't come down my side of the tree and bark at me I won't even know they were there. Early season are mostly grays and late season is mostly fox.

One year one of my shag bark hickory trees was just shaking with a whole tribe of squirrels cutting on it. It was still in full leaf so I got on the uphill part from the tree with the plan to shoot one when I see it and get another when they scatter. One jumped out and I blasted it with a 12ga and when my ears stopped ringing the darn tree rats never stopped cutting! It sounded like a rain forest. I got all 5 of my squirrels out of that one tree and they never did make a break for it, Lord knows how many were in there...

You guys make fun of Crawford County but the ignorance has been transferred to the wildlife as well. On my property it isn't hunting, it is harvesting. So you northerners knock yourselves out, this fat crippled German boy can't cover ground like he use to but he still eats well thanks to whatever blight that lowers IQ's in Crawford County...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I also use a shotgun in the early season with the leaves still on the trees and switch to a .22 when the leaves fall off.

I usually wait until I can see my breath to go hunting tho. If I am feeling sporting I won't wear my glasses while hunting, that way if they don't come down my side of the tree and bark at me I won't even know they were there. Early season are mostly grays and late season is mostly fox.

One year one of my shag bark hickory trees was just shaking with a whole tribe of squirrels cutting on it. It was still in full leaf so I got on the uphill part from the tree with the plan to shoot one when I see it and get another when they scatter. One jumped out and I blasted it with a 12ga and when my ears stopped ringing the darn tree rats never stopped cutting! It sounded like a rain forest. I got all 5 of my squirrels out of that one tree and they never did make a break for it, Lord knows how many were in there...

You guys make fun of Crawford County but the ignorance has been transferred to the wildlife as well. On my property it isn't hunting, it is harvesting. So you northerners knock yourselves out, this fat crippled German boy can't cover ground like he use to but he still eats well thanks to whatever blight that lowers IQ's in Crawford County...
    Hunger is the best sauce for squirrels too. They love a hickory tree when it's ripe.

Used to have a friend of my grandpa's who came and asked to hunt a couple times each August or early September. He'd hunt the same hickory tree every time. In the woods b4 1st light. Sat where he had a good view of likely travel routes. He'd have 5 squirrels when he left and later in the week when I got to hunt, I'd find 5 twenty gauge shells in a neat little pile.

RIP Tom.

Crandall Crank

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    Typically use a Western Auto Revolution 20 ga. I Have to reach the tops of the oak and hickory trees, plus through all of the leaf cover. They are busy cutting the acorns and hickory nuts tonight. Best times were with a Dr Pepper and my favorite dog hunting squirrels....I still miss him.

Top Bottom