• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can't say I'd know a difference if I changed the guide rod out on my loaded. For some silly reason I just like the look of a full length guide rod. If I were to complain about the factory guide rod on the loaded model is that I can't take it apart without an allen wrench. I really wish that wasn't the case, but I've never had a problem with it so it's just a convenience thing for me if I ever wanted to field strip it in the field.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not that I struggle so much after the first time, I really just don't like them. And to be fair the majority of my 1911's didn't come with one, so my experience is limited. :)

The rod is 1st out/last in. Allen wrench's of all sizes are in my range bag so I can adjust/repair about anything from optics to guide rods. Just part of the kit that stays with me.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The rod is 1st out/last in. Allen wrench's of all sizes are in my range bag so I can adjust/repair about anything from optics to guide rods. Just part of the kit that stays with me.

Sounds like a good plan Sir, I try to stay away from items that need tools though. I usually have a good assortment myself but you never know. Still love my Springfield none the less. :)

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Yes but other than a parts replacement (like dimming night sights) whats the point??? The idea with the RO is getting a out of the box Target pistol that is ready. The only thing to do is buy extra mags for it. As far as adding night sights to a carry gun that in its self is not a major expense, adding a Bomar sight and getting the slide cut is.

I really wanted an adjustable rear sighted gun. That is why I was originally looking at getting a Range Officer. Like I said I got a good deal on the Loaded so I added the new adjustable night sights. They are just a little taller than the original night sights that were on the gun when I got it and they are the Combat profile. I am very pleased with it and glad I didn't get the R.O. That said I will still buy an R.O. if it comes along at the right time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Had fun at my range trip. My fellow INGOer had to cancel, but I caught a break in the middle of my work load and ran down to ITP to shoot a few. My thoughts are that it's very similar to the SR1911. I actually like the Ruger's trigger a bit better. It's a tad lighter and crisper. That said, the Loaded seemed to be a bit more accurate and seemed to feel a bit better in my hand. All in all I love both, but ironically shot my G19 better :n00b:

I'll post target images sometime if I get a chance.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Had fun at my range trip. My fellow INGOer had to cancel, but I caught a break in the middle of my work load and ran down to ITP to shoot a few. My thoughts are that it's very similar to the SR1911. I actually like the Ruger's trigger a bit better. It's a tad lighter and crisper. That said, the Loaded seemed to be a bit more accurate and seemed to feel a bit better in my hand. All in all I love both, but ironically shot my G19 better :n00b:

Always remember, 1911's are for play. Glocks are for the serious work. I like my 1911 to play with and be familiar or even just for the nostalgia, but I trust my life to my glocks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I trust my life and the lives of my family to a series of 1911's all of which run very well. 1911's have seen as much or more front line battle time as any platform. 1911's have seen major conflict over a century. All guns are serious.
    Triggers on loadeds sometime come out of the box near 6Lbs break. My last one did. That is easily fixed.

If you want to check the weight let me know. Easy peasy.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    can not have enough I have more than a couple and used to use some of them in shooting matchs and I miss those days. so I bought a couple morepsyko

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

When I was at the range the other day, I only got to send about 50 rounds downrange between the SR1911 and the Loaded. As I said, I really like both guns. The trigger on the loaded is a bit heavier (feels like 5.5 - 6lbs) and a little bit gritty. From what I've heard the grittiness may go away with use. The loaded seemed to be a tad more accurate and felt just a little better in my hand. I think the accuracy is due to the sights being a tad narrower on the back sight, so the front sight fills the sight picture with little to no space to either side, where the SR1911 rear sight is a bit wider with more space to either side of the front sight. The difference in the feel of the grips may be that the grips on the Loaded seem a bit thicker. Both guns were an absolute joy to shoot and felt very similar while firing (pretty much what I expected). From my limited experience with both weapons, I'm thinking the Ruger was one heck of a good deal at ~$600 and that makes it a great starter 1911. My opinion may well change as time goes by, but that's my feeling at this point.

So here are my targets from Wednesday. First target is the second target I used, using both the SR1911 and the Loaded:

I only loaded the mags to 5 rounds. Center of the target was 15 rounds, two mags from the Ruger and one from the SA. Top right was the Ruger and bottom right was the SA. Wish I'd kept the first target, as I'd fired 20 rounds into the center of the target, two mags with both guns and everything was in a hole 2 inches by 2 inches, with 2 fliers that went out an inch or so from the others. This was at 7 yards.

Also, here's a pic from my G19 that I shot before I left the range (I'd run out of .45 and needed to function check the G19 after polishing the trigger parts last week):

Mags were loaded to 10 rounds each. One mag in the center and two mags bottom right. I don't love the trigger on the G19, but I'm very used to it. I know, none of these are fantastic, but I've only been shooting for a year and still have much to learn.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I bought my first Springfield before the RO model was available. It used to be the "Loaded" when they were offered with adjustable sights.

I've since worn out a set of springs after 6000+ rounds. I started getting three point jams and the slide felt weak. I replaced the springs and the thing felt and ran like it was brand new again.

Funny thing, after the first two years, I went out and bought a second because I didn't ever want to be without one again. It has less than 500 rounds though it and just sits in a box, waiting...and waiting....and waiting.

Enjoy your Springfield for years to come.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I bought my first Springfield before the RO model was available. It used to be the "Loaded" when they were offered with adjustable sights.

I've since worn out a set of springs after 6000+ rounds. I started getting three point jams and the slide felt weak. I replaced the springs and the thing felt and ran like it was brand new again.

Funny thing, after the first two years, I went out and bought a second because I didn't ever want to be without one again. It has less than 500 rounds though it and just sits in a box, waiting...and waiting....and waiting.

Enjoy your Springfield for years to come.

I hope to enjoy it for years to come, thanks :D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am going to have to go through some transition to acclimate myself back to a 1911 trigger I guess. Six pounds are what most of my DA triggers are. Not sure how I would like an SA trigger that heavy.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, I finally picked up some mags (well, ordered some anyway). MidwayUSA is starting their 8 days of deals today and there is a $20 off $100 coupon. Only works on non-sale price items, so I couldn't pick up the ETMs like I wanted to, but I did manage to pick up two 47Ds, one 8 round power mag and a 10 round power mag+. All for just over $100 shipped. I figured that wasn't bad and I had wanted to try out a variety of mags.

Top Bottom