• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You made my point. Even after passing a so called driving test very few are competent drivers but hopefully it improves the odds. I'm not up for denying anyone their right to own a gun but carrying "mexican" is beyond a bad idea and possibly some training might force some to think about the responsibility involved in carrying a firearm in public.
    :thumbsup:
    Respectfully I’m confused. Your point was everyone should qualify on a Firearm to carry so to me that indicates you thought that would somehow prove permanent proficiency.

My point using the requirement of making people take a drivers test prove that minimum standards people are still horrible drivers and they drive everyday getting no better. So that proves nothing other than makes some keeper feel great because a box got checked.

I’m just adding my experience of qualifying LEOs that just because they pass a minimum standard they are still horrible and they shoot every year or bi annual so how does requiring a private citizen to qualify to carry prove or make anything great?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Respectfully I’m confused. Your point was everyone should qualify on a Firearm to carry so to me that indicates you thought that would somehow prove permanent proficiency.

My point using the requirement of making people take a drivers test prove that minimum standards people are still horrible drivers and they drive everyday getting no better. So that proves nothing other than makes some keeper feel great because a box got checked.

I’m just adding my experience of qualifying LEOs that just because they pass a minimum standard they are still horrible and they shoot every year or bi annual so how does requiring a private citizen to qualify to carry prove or make anything great?
    It doesn't make it great and it doesn't make them proficient but it should make them a little more aware of the responsibility taken on when carrying a firearm. Honestly I know it's impossible to have a qualification simply because, unlike with police training failing someone would be problematic to say the least because of the PC, everyone gets a trophy society we live in. There isn't a solution but that doesn't mean I can turn a blind eye to the problem.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    “A well bribed Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the auxiliary officers, and special officers, and security workers, watchmen, bus drivers, to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Equal protection, in United States law, the constitutional guarantee that no auxiliary officers, and special officers, and security workers, watchmen, bus drivers, will be denied the protection under the law that is enjoyed by similar auxiliary officers, and special officers, and security workers, watchmen, bus drivers, or groups. In other words, auxiliary officers, and special officers, and security workers, watchmen, bus drivers, similarly situated must be similarly treated. Equal protection is extended when the rules of law are applied equally in all like cases and when persons are exempt from obligations greater than those imposed upon others in like circumstances.

Just clarifying where we are at.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    It doesn't make it great and it doesn't make them proficient but it should make them a little more aware of the responsibility taken on when carrying a firearm. Honestly I know it's impossible to have a qualification simply because, unlike with police training failing someone would be problematic to say the least because of the PC, everyone gets a trophy society we live in. There isn't a solution but that doesn't mean I can turn a blind eye to the problem.
    In a perfect world you would think however we have been dumbed down as a society. Agencies have had to ease up on their qualifications, and vehicles have to give us a warning bell to check back seats for contents because it has somehow become norm to forget simple tasks!

Also because we quit either being able to teach folks, and everyone’s Cognative ability has shrunk. All of us have a little I mean how many phone numbers do you remember off the top of your head without looking at your contact list compared to 1989?

Most folks (ones that aren’t on here) that own a gun probably k ow how to use it well enough. Most folks winning a shooting or robbery aren’t USPSA Grand Masters. They treat owning a gun like I do a fire extinguisher. I have one I know how to use it and I replace it every couple years but I don’t empty it every week or month and I am not on fire fighting forums or a volunteer FD but can handle a small kitchen fire!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For those that pay attention education should equate to safety. Some will never listen but I believe practice and training should be stressed when someone goes into the public arena carrying a loaded gun for their own safety as well as the safety of others. Just as some should no be driving because they are inept I think the same should apply for carrying a firearm. Actually I'm not suggesting mandatory training simply because I know the miscreant politician making the decision on what the training consisted of would have little or no knowledge of firearms. Politicians gonna politic so we are stuck with what we have but I don't have to be comfortable with the goofs I've witnessed while doing RSO duties at public ranges.

Actually, you are suggesting mandatory training. It sounds like you think that if the training requirements are created by a politician, it just won't be up to your standards.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Actually, you are suggesting mandatory training. It sounds like you think that if the training requirements are created by a politician, it just won't be up to your standards.

Totally agree.

First I don’t believe training should be mandatory for a constitutional right. AND the fact that political BS makes it a feel good that only certain entities “profit”

Example why, Tennessee for their permit requires a classroom and range time to “prove” proficiency but at the same time they don’t allow participants to draw a firearm from a holster that they will carry a firearm around in. Sort of makes you wonder how “proficient” are they really making folks but hey it looks good to the masses for an NRA class!

Agency training for line cops is only slightly better. Unless you have specialty team training or go to private sector training like Ramge Master Gunsite or any of the sims individual X national trainers (Ayoob, Bolke Eastridge Ellifritz Hearne etc) and keep practicing those things.

Which as we touched on people don’t they treat their gun like a fire extinguisher

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    First I don’t believe training should be mandatory for a constitutional right. AND the fact that political BS makes it a feel good that only certain entities “profit”
    I actually agree, I'm just entertaining myself by trolling in this thread.

While training to be able to carry absolutely should not be mandatory, I would be all for some sort of government incentive to get training.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Totally agree.

Example why, Tennessee for their permit requires a classroom and range time to “prove” proficiency but at the same time they don’t allow participants to draw a firearm from a holster that they will carry a firearm around in. Sort of makes you wonder how “proficient” are they really making folks but hey it looks good to the masses for an NRA class!

Agency training for line cops is only slightly better. Unless you have specialty team training or go to private sector training like Ramge Master Gunsite or any of the sims individual X national trainers (Ayoob, Bolke Eastridge Ellifritz Hearne etc) and keep practicing those things.

Which as we touched on people don’t they treat their gun like a fire extinguisher
    When I went thru it down there to get my permit, there were some that had actually had never fired a gun till that day. YES I saw that! Talking to the officer that was giving the qualifying test while wearing a bullet proof vest said that he sees that all the time. But the main reason they do the test is to simply see how one handles the firearm. I had thought the class and range time was going to be a big waste of time till I went thru it. The bulk of the class was about the laws that I did enjoy, and some did need the range time to get some instruction on how to handle a firearm. So I came out with a teeter tooter feeling on it. Some needed it while it was a waste of time for others over a constitutional right.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    From a bargaining table point of view, if any segment of a group already has something, it is easier to bargain for other segments to also receive that benefit. The hill to climb gets shorter.

If Citizens that were in Law Enforcement have nation wide rights, it is easier to add auxiliary officers, and special officers, and security workers, watchmen, bus drivers, etc, etc, etc.
    Precisely how many people who benefit from the unequal protection of LEOSA have made any effort whatsoever to expand LEOSA?

It's okay, though; the longer that LEOSA exists, the more LEO carve-outs are placed in gun control laws, the more tacit and obvious the unconstitutionality becomes.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    For those that pay attention education should equate to safety. Some will never listen but I believe practice and training should be stressed when someone goes into the public arena carrying a loaded gun for their own safety as well as the safety of others. Just as some should no be driving because they are inept I think the same should apply for carrying a firearm. Actually I'm not suggesting mandatory training simply because I know the miscreant politician making the decision on what the training consisted of would have little or no knowledge of firearms. Politicians gonna politic so we are stuck with what we have but I don't have to be comfortable with the goofs I've witnessed while doing RSO duties at public ranges.
    Okay, but that doesn't answer my questions. What specific goal do you wish to accomplish and/or what specific problem do you wish to solve, through said requirement? And how, exactly, will said requirement accomplish that goal and/or solve that problem?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I actually agree, I'm just entertaining myself by trolling in this thread.

While training to be able to carry absolutely should not be mandatory, I would be all for some sort of government incentive to get training.
    I'm all for my tax dollars going to more useful purposes, and getting more of it back into my own pocket. So, sure: I'd be in favor of such incentives.

However, those who choose to be responsible will do so, with or without government mandates or incentives. People get training and practice already, because they are responsible.

Accidents leading to injury and death do happen, of course. But they are at a rate so low that it is almost statistical noise at this point. Because a) again, responsible people are responsible without Daddy Government, and b) firearm safety is ridiculously simple to teach/learn. It takes 5 minutes.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Its that caviler attitude that so many civil servants have, that turns people into the us and them thing.
    I came up when Vietnam era vets ran everything they were my first Fligh Chiefs and I started civilian LE I. 1990 they were my shift leaders and chiefs and felt they mentored us well. We knew we had authority but they drove home you don’t use it.

We gave drunk pedestrians rides home we didn’t need hero worship and free meals we had no Cartman Officers “respect my authority” as they didn’t get hired or they didn’t make it out of FTO phase because they were told they need to resign and find another career and no department shopping back then!

Somehow tha all changed. Granted a lot of Joe and Jane public want a supreme. Court case out of that speeding ticket but the “worship me” mentality does turn folks against some.

Top Bottom