• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I don't know about that. Most of our worst shots are ex military. I used to think being in the military meant that one would be proficient with firearms, but I've long abandoned that falsehood.
    I take no small exception to your comment. Your most does not constitute all. I know you did not say all. Just being a tad sensitive here.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    But most non infantry can't and there's not much reason for them to shoot well at all.
    Even the ex infantry folks I saw barely qualified and always quipped “well all I **** was rifles” or “if I had my rifle”

MP’s were generally better but not by much.

The ones that claimed Special Forces if they were good they were telling the truth…if they weren’t good you knew they weren’t!!!!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    But most non infantry can't and there's not much reason for them to shoot well at all.
    I have to admit that you guys may be right. I was a shooter before Uncle Sam handed me an M16. I didn't shoot much in the Service until I got assigned to the 1st Armored Division in what was then West Germany. We had annual qualifications with all the weapons our unit used, and at least 4 trips a year to hot ranges to stay in practice. The competitions were volunteer affairs and graded simply as hit or miss. No bullseye shooting. It was much the same as a bunch of guys going out to shoot, a friendly afternoon of putting rounds down range. I got into teaching M2 simply because it was easier than being on motor pool duty, fixing flat tires, or being on KP. I've had a love of guns since diapers, I believe. Two of my great childhood memories are: the first time my dad let me shoot his .30-30, at about the age of 10, and about the same time getting to shoot a full-auto M16 at the Elkhart County Conservation Club. I have no idea who owned it. I do remember the cinder-block I shot at exploding in a cloud of dust. Cool!

What really makes me think you guys are right about most POGs? The fact that nobody else is speaking up. Lots of POGs out there, I can't be the only one who knows which end the bullet comes out of. Yet, I am the only one protesting.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Even the ex infantry folks I saw barely qualified and always quipped “well all I **** was rifles” or “if I had my rifle”

MP’s were generally better but not by much.

The ones that claimed Special Forces if they were good they were telling the truth…if they weren’t good you knew they weren’t!!!!
    I've learned that some in the contract world, will doctor their DD214 with what certs they have to get on better contracts.
    What they want now with your 214 are the copys of the certificates themselves.

One also has to remember that in the service very few, at least in the MC go to school or are issued a sidearm.
    With my son being a 0352 in a LAR none of those crews were issued pistols. All carried M4's.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I've learned that some in the contract world, will doctor their DD214 with what certs they have to get on better contracts.
    What they want now with your 214 are the copys of the certificates themselves.

One also has to remember that in the service very few, at least in the MC go to school or are issued a sidearm.
    With my son being a 0352 in a LAR none of those crews were issued pistols. All carried M4's.
    I get it and my post wasn’t ment as a judgement more an observation. Of the ones that boast about knowing or being better about something they are not and not taking the time to be quiet before talking!

I see the same with the agency guys that say they are “gun guys” (and they are also clueless on the national programs like Gunsite, a Rangemaster, Spaulding Hearne, Ellifritz, Haggard, Bolke etc etc) But they do decent with a flat range qual but they are clueless on the local range had USPSA or IDPA the last 25 years and I take them and they are blown away when they get their clock cleaned by a 18 year old kid.

My point is it’s sort of related the ones that “boast” about “I was military or I was LE” well we’ll see about that in a minute!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I get it and my post wasn’t ment as a judgement more an observation. Of the ones that boast about knowing or being better about something they are not and not taking the time to be quiet before talking!

I see the same with the agency guys that say they are “gun guys” (and they are also clueless on the national programs like Gunsite, a Rangemaster, Spaulding Hearne, Ellifritz, Haggard, Bolke etc etc) But they do decent with a flat range qual but they are clueless on the local range had USPSA or IDPA the last 25 years and I take them and they are blown away when they get their clock cleaned by a 18 year old kid.

My point is it’s sort of related the ones that “boast” about “I was military or I was LE” well we’ll see about that in a minute!
    I understand and agree, for years I shot in two different PPC leagues in MD. I used to joke with many in LE that if I ever robbed a bank, I hoped that they were the officers that got that call.
    I left a local conservation club over really poor safety, quite a few Veterans fell into that group.
    I have a kid that earned his slot where he works over his handgun skills.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Well, I guess I will chime in. I was a POG in the USMC. However, I was a combat arms POG. I was an 1811. That was an armor crewman on the M60A1 tank. Like all Marines, I had to qualify every fiscal year on the rifle. This was an M16A2. We also had to qualify on the pistol, as well. This was a 40+ year old Ithaca 1911A1. I usually qualified sharpshooter or expert on the rifle. On the pistol, marksman or sharpshooter. I blame my pistol scores on a worn out 1911 with horrible sights.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Well, I guess I will chime in. I was a POG in the USMC. However, I was a combat arms POG. I was an 1811. That was an armor crewman on the M60A1 tank. Like all Marines, I had to qualify every fiscal year on the rifle. This was an M16A2. We also had to qualify on the pistol, as well. This was a 40+ year old Ithaca 1911A1. I usually qualified sharpshooter or expert on the rifle. On the pistol, marksman or sharpshooter. I blame my pistol scores on a worn out 1911 with horrible sights.
    I had a unique experience. I was USAF Security Police/Security Forces. My first issued sidearm was a S&W Model 15 Revolver 38 special at the school we also had some Navy/USMC MA and MPs along with some British troops. At the training area I saw M15’s 1911a1’s (they did look really old) and Browning Hi Powers (this was in 1986)

I remember someone saying (I reference to the 1911) look that thing doesn’t look like they have sights how do they aim! LOL we got spoiled by our nice S&W adjustable sights!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Thank you for your service.
    Did you rotate through Palms or Pendleton?
    My Thing 2 was at Palms when the Tanks left a few years ago.

erniesnervis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2023
    Northern Indiana
    I was a reserve officer for a decades and am not afforded these LEOSA privileges. Indiana needs to revamp the laws regarding reserve officers. We are not paid, get retirement benefits or insurance but we sure can get killed or maimed like merit officers!
    Hello, Dave, sorry for your displeasure but I was a reserve and firearms instructor for sixteen years. My sheriff gave me credentials and an ID badge within the guide lines of the LEOSA framework. I think you have been misinformed about who can qualify. Check it out with your department.

erniesnervis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2023
    Northern Indiana
    Law enforcement officers operate under an entirely different set of ROEs. Everyone they deal with has equal rights under the law. Use of force is strictly supervised. Just ask George Floyd.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom