• ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Thank you for your service.
    Did you rotate through Palms or Pendleton?
    My Thing 2 was at Palms when the Tanks left a few years ago.
    I was stationed at Camp Lejeune the entire time. I did go to 29 Palms a couple of times for a CAX. We liked the tanks at 29 Palms. They had the engine governors removed. You could get an M60 to 35 or 40 mph. However, they were extremely difficult to steer at those speeds.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I had a unique experience. I was USAF Security Police/Security Forces. My first issued sidearm was a S&W Model 15 Revolver 38 special at the school we also had some Navy/USMC MA and MPs along with some British troops. At the training area I saw M15’s 1911a1’s (they did look really old) and Browning Hi Powers (this was in 1986)

I remember someone saying (I reference to the 1911) look that thing doesn’t look like they have sights how do they aim! LOL we got spoiled by our nice S&W adjustable sights!
    I was in from 1985-1989. Yes, the 1911's were really old. Mine looked like it had been carried in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. The bore was dark(corrosive primers in WWII), it was really loose and generally didn't hit where I was aiming.
    As a tanker, we were trained at Ft. Knox. Again, I had an old 1911 there. However, the Army pistol qual was different than the Marine Corps. The Army used head and shoulders plastic targets you had to knock down. 25 targets out to, I think, 50 yards. I shot 23 out of 25. I missed one at 25 yards and one at 50. I hit the one at 50, but it didn't fall over.
    Marine Corps qual was bullseye targets at 15 and 25 yards for score.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was stationed at Camp Lejeune the entire time. I did go to 29 Palms a couple of times for a CAX. We liked the tanks at 29 Palms. They had the engine governors removed. You could get an M60 to 35 or 40 mph. However, they were extremely difficult to steer at those speeds.
    He enjoyed Palms for the most part, he was a 0352 in a LAV. He had loads of fun in the back ranges at Palms during exercises and range time.
    Both of mine were PI recruits and then onto a few months at Geiger for SOI.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom